New NET Rankings

hskr4life

In looking at what we have left, it appears we'll have as follows.

1. Only one remaining game that would be Quadrant 4 (CS-Fullerton) and 5-0 in that quadrant.

2. We are 2-0 in Quadrant 3 and have one remaining game (Penn State, 76 at home) in that quadrant. If Penn State were to get in top-75 and stay there, this would be a quadrant 2 game. (Illinois at 125 currently, could get there. The cutoff for road games is 135).

3. Nebraska is yet to play a quadrant 2 game, but will on Saturday against Creighton and also Oklahoma State (neutral). The Cowboys need to stay in the top-100 to stay as a quadrant 2. Possible quadrant 2 games in Big Ten play: Northwestern (55, at home), Maryland (33, at home), Penn State (76, road), Iowa (48, at home), Illinois (125, road).

4. RIGHT NOW THE REST OF OUR GAMES ARE QUADRANT ONE!

(Related: We might lose some more games)

I know we have goals bigger than just making the tournament, but Bart Torvik's numbers are still holding strong that we will only need 19 wins to make the tournament. I'll believe it when I see it - 20 seems the safer magic number to shoot for - but at 8-2, we could practically sleepwalk our way to 20 wins at this point. That's merely playing 0.500 ball the rest of the way (meaning we could very realistically go 9-11 in conference play and still make the tournament).

Bubble talk seems trivial right now, but I guess old habits die hard. I'm unfamiliar with this new term they call "seeding talk." ?

The crazy part of how strong the B1G is in the NET is exactly that... we (probably) could sleepwalk and still make it.. 

i don't think we're going to sleepwalk.  If anything, yesterday's game seemed like we "woke up" after the minnesota collapse.  i hope that's the case.

Win and all your worries go away.

4 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

I know we have goals bigger than just making the tournament, but Bart Torvik's numbers are still holding strong that we will only need 19 wins to make the tournament. I'll believe it when I see it - 20 seems the safer magic number to shoot for - but at 8-2, we could practically sleepwalk our way to 20 wins at this point. That's merely playing 0.500 ball the rest of the way (meaning we could very realistically go 9-11 in conference play and still make the tournament).

Bubble talk seems trivial right now, but I guess old habits die hard. I'm unfamiliar with this new term they call "seeding talk." ?

I think we will need to win the next 3 and then as long as we don't lose at Rutgers 10 conference wins gets us in. Barely. That said If we're 9-1 at home with our 1 road win being against Rutgers I'd still be scared. We'd likely be in but I probably wouldn't sleep well without at least a conference tournament win at that point.

9 conference wins puts us firmly on bubblewatch needing at least one if not two conference tourny wins. -Unless we have some really really eyepopping road wins because that would mean we lost at least once at home and vitually every road game we have left.

11 conference wins = stress free selection sunday.

Edited by Blackshirt83

Sunday Update...  Nebraska jumps from #25 to #15 with the win.

Q1- 0-2- Texas Tech (#5), Minnesota (#57)

Q2- 2-0- Clemson (#83), Creighton (#56)

Q3- 2-0- Seton Hall (#90), Illinois (#126)

Q4- 4-0-  MVSU (#342), SELA (#309), MIZZ St (#216), Western Illinois (#278), 

Clemson hurting us a little bit with the drop.  Expect that to creep back up... I hope.

Seton Hall can get to Q2 status by jumping into the Top 75.

Lot of Q1 and Q2 opportunities left.

Just now, hskr4life said:

Sunday Update...  Nebraska jumps from #25 to #15 with the win.

Q1- 0-2- Texas Tech (#5), Minnesota (#57)

Q2- 2-0- Clemson (#83), Creighton (#56)

Q3- 2-0- Seton Hall (#90), Illinois (#126)

Q4- 4-0-  MVSU (#342), SELA (#309), MIZZ St (#216), Western Illinois (#278), 

Clemson hurting us a little bit with the drop.  Expect that to creep back up... I hope.

Seton Hall can get to Q2 status by jumping into the Top 75.

Lot of Q1 and Q2 opportunities left.

Also, as of now OSU is a Q2.

Games against non-Div1 opponents with Ken Pom rating, team, NET rating for tonight.

I wanted to know if beating a non-D1 opponent made a difference in NET and it looks like it does.

There weren't many games and I don't know if Maine changes spots if they don't win vs Main Machias.  The bump seems pretty insignificant.  

image.png

Pacific Home 168 NC

Long Beach St (A)  216 -11

St Mary H 76 -2

Cal St Fulerton (A) 285  -12

Hofstra (A) 129 +7

Manhattan (H) 331 -4

Dartmouth (H) 251 + 17

Sacred Heart (A) 268 -17

Marshall (H) 116 NC

Morehead St (A) 276 -4

Maine (H) 333 +2

Arkansas Pine Bluff (H)  275 +3

image.png

6 hours ago, hskr4life said:

http://www.seed-madness.com/TeamStats/QTSNebraska.htm

Looks like we will be heading into this weekends game 0-2 in Quad 1 and 2-0, 2-0, 4-0 in the other three.

OSU will be firmly a Q2 right now.

Clemson is now a Q1 and should improve with ACC play. If Seton Hall gets in the top 75 which they should in conference (in the 80s right now) we already have more Q1/Q2 wins than last year. And when they update a top 15 NET rank. They aren’t leaving us out unless we lose 13 conference games.

On 12/6/2018 at 2:55 PM, hhctony said:

In looking at what we have left, it appears we'll have as follows.

1. Only one remaining game that would be Quadrant 4 (CS-Fullerton) and 5-0 in that quadrant.

2. We are 2-0 in Quadrant 3 and have one remaining game (Penn State, 76 at home) in that quadrant. If Penn State were to get in top-75 and stay there, this would be a quadrant 2 game. (Illinois at 125 currently, could get there. The cutoff for road games is 135).

3. Nebraska is yet to play a quadrant 2 game, but will on Saturday against Creighton and also Oklahoma State (neutral). The Cowboys need to stay in the top-100 to stay as a quadrant 2. Possible quadrant 2 games in Big Ten play: Northwestern (55, at home), Maryland (33, at home), Penn State (76, road), Iowa (48, at home), Illinois (125, road).

4. RIGHT NOW THE REST OF OUR GAMES ARE QUADRANT ONE!

(Related: We might lose some more games)

I think Rutgers got lost but 7 conference wins in the worst case cenerio for quality wins puts us at 7-0 in Q2. Last year we were 2-3 and 1-6 in Q1.  We won’t get left out with 8 conference wins.

3 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

I think Rutgers got lost but 7 conference wins in the worst case cenerio for quality wins puts us at 7-0 in Q2. Last year we were 2-3 and 1-6 in Q1.  We won’t get left out with 8 conference wins.

Understand your thought process but yikes, I would not be comfortable at all if we went 8-12 in the BIG this year.  Anything below .500 in conference, especially 4 games below .500, and I think you're just begging to get left out of the tournament.

10 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Understand your thought process but yikes, I would not be comfortable at all if we went 8-12 in the BIG this year.  Anything below .500 in conference, especially 4 games below .500, and I think you're just begging to get left out of the tournament.

I know that’s how you think but the committee just doesn’t look at it that way.  For example Kansas State went 9-9 in conference last year.  In the non-conference they gotten maybe one Q2 won vs Washington State.  They went 11-2  but besides Arizona State and Tulsa there two losses their non-con schedule was terrible. They got a 10 seed. 

With 8 conference wins our resume is way better than theirs. 

11 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

If I recall conference record isn't even on the team sheets. The major factor that left us out of the tournament last year was a weak Quadrant 1 performance. They took more teams with a record like 3-9 in Q1 than they did 1-3. And we only had 1 loss between Q2-Q4.

I would take an 8-12 conference record this year if it meant we had 6 Q1 wins. Unfortunately you schedule and metric yourself to what the committee values.

Was running through some team sheets today.  Found this interesting.  I have five teams here.  Wonder if you can match the five teams.  **TEAM SHEET IS BEFORE THE GAMES YESTERDAY**

(Nebraska, Minnesota, Kansas State, Kentucky, Purdue)

Team A- #28 NET- 0-3 Q1, 2-2 Q2, 2-0 Q3, 2-0 Q4- Best win- NET #41(H)- Worst loss- NET #76 (A)

Team B- #15 NET- 0-2 Q1, 2-0 Q2, 2-0 Q3, 4-0 Q4- Best win- NET #55 (H)- Worst loss- NET #56 (A)

Team C- #42 NET- 0-1 Q1, 1-1 Q2, 3-0 Q3, 3-0 Q4- Best win- NET #70 (N)- Worst loss- NET #110 (A)

Team D- #37 NET- 0-1 Q1, 0-1 Q2, 3-0 Q3, 5-0 Q4- Best win NET #84 (H)- Worst loss- NET #86 (N)

Team E- #56 NET- 2-1 Q1, 1-1 Q2, 2-0 Q3, 4-0 Q4- Best win NET #15 (H)- Worst loss- NET #117 (A)

What does this show me?  The NET shouldn't be the be all/end all right now, because the quadrant system says otherwise.  Also, it's tough to win away from home.  You need to protect the home court and steam those road and neutral wins when you can.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Was running through some team sheets today.  Found this interesting.  I have five teams here.  Wonder if you can match the five teams.  **TEAM SHEET IS BEFORE THE GAMES YESTERDAY**

(Nebraska, Minnesota, Kansas State, Kentucky, Purdue)

Team A- #28 NET- 0-3 Q1, 2-2 Q2, 2-0 Q3, 2-0 Q4- Best win- NET #41(H)- Worst loss- NET #76 (A)

Team B- #15 NET- 0-2 Q1, 2-0 Q2, 2-0 Q3, 4-0 Q4- Best win- NET #55 (H)- Worst loss- NET #56 (A)

Team C- #42 NET- 0-1 Q1, 1-1 Q2, 3-0 Q3, 3-0 Q4- Best win- NET #70 (N)- Worst loss- NET #110 (A)

Team D- #37 NET- 0-1 Q1, 0-1 Q2, 3-0 Q3, 5-0 Q4- Best win NET #84 (H)- Worst loss- NET #86 (N)

Team E- #56 NET- 2-1 Q1, 1-1 Q2, 2-0 Q3, 4-0 Q4- Best win NET #15 (H)- Worst loss- NET #117 (A)

What does this show me?  The NET shouldn't be the be all/end all right now, because the quadrant system says otherwise.  Also, it's tough to win away from home.  You need to protect the home court and steam those road and neutral wins when you can.

Nebraska's B.... that's for sure.

15 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Conf record is not taken into consideration so get that thought out of your head. Q1 wins are what we are after. That is the most important metric for us going forward.

51 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Conf record is not taken into consideration so get that thought out of your head. Q1 wins are what we are after. That is the most important metric for us going forward.

Yes, several has said its not a criterion that the committee uses.  While this is true, the committee is not made up of computer robots who seed based solely off the NET, quad wins, etc.  There are lots of conversations and I would be beyond shocked if other criteria are not discussed during the nearly week long conversations they have.  Also, I have no doubt that ESPN talking heads and other national talking heads would make a hay day out of a BIG team with a 8-12 conference record being on the bubble.  I can hear Dicky V..."Seriously Baby, how can you put in a 13 loss BIG 10 Nebraska team when you have Furman, these great kids from South Carolina, these great, great kids who have lost 2 games all year...TWO GAMES ALL YEAR.  Seriously Baby, Nebraska was 4 games under .500 in their conference.  They don't deserve it, it would be a total disgrace to mid-major basketball"

I'm not saying that talking heads influence the committee but enough chatter and noise can certainly creep into the minds of the selection committee. They are not immune to hearing what people on the outside are saying.  It's also not like our pedigree gives us any benefit of the doubt.

Bottom line, lets just take care of business and finish at or above .500 in league play and we will not be sweating at all!

1 hour ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Yes, several has said its not a criterion that the committee uses.  While this is true, the committee is not made up of computer robots who seed based solely off the NET, quad wins, etc.  There are lots of conversations and I would be beyond shocked if other criteria are not discussed during the nearly week long conversations they have.  Also, I have no doubt that ESPN talking heads and other national talking heads would make a hay day out of a BIG team with a 8-12 conference record being on the bubble.  I can hear Dicky V..."Seriously Baby, how can you put in a 13 loss BIG 10 Nebraska team when you have Furman, these great kids from South Carolina, these great, great kids who have lost 2 games all year...TWO GAMES ALL YEAR.  Seriously Baby, Nebraska was 4 games under .500 in their conference.  They don't deserve it, it would be a total disgrace to mid-major basketball"

I'm not saying that talking heads influence the committee but enough chatter and noise can certainly creep into the minds of the selection committee. They are not immune to hearing what people on the outside are saying.  It's also not like our pedigree gives us any benefit of the doubt.

Bottom line, lets just take care of business and finish at or above .500 in league play and we will not be sweating at all!

I thought the same thing last year, then OU got in with an 18-14(8-10). They had a losing record for conference, Q1 and Q2. The difference...they had 6 Q1 wins.

Are you shocked? I'm not saying that I like it, I don't like it, but it is the system and they, the committee, are going to use it as the deciding factor to who gets at large bids.