Big 10/ACC Challenge

hskr4life

33 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Clemson’s loss to Creighton makes me think:

A. They’re not as good as I thought they were & even on the road we better get a win. OR

B. Their going to be pi**ed & come out highly motivated, especially at home. 

Thomas is going to cause us issues. He would have looked good in Red. Clemson is a solid team. But beatable. Our first road game...not expecting us to get it done. Would be a nice win though. I would have signed up for 1-1 against Tech/Clemson

47 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

A. They’re not as good as I thought they were & even on the road we better get a win. OR

Honestly, we should be pissed with how we played against Tech as well.  Two teams who should be fighting to get back a game they could have won?  Sign me up!

13 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Thomas is going to cause us issues. He would have looked good in Red. Clemson is a solid team. But beatable. Our first road game...not expecting us to get it done. Would be a nice win though. I would have signed up for 1-1 against Tech/Clemson

I'm more worried about Aamir Simms, a super athletic shot blocker just like Tariq Owens from St. John's/Texas Tech who has given us problems. 

14 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Clemson is a pack the paint team like we used to be and that is the type of team that a quick and good shooting Creighton team is set up to beat. Jays shot 38.5% from 3 but shot a lot of them. 

If we don't move the ball and don't see motion in our offense, I don't like our chances. Last year, our identity was a team that attacked the basket. The idea that we want to play into the popular "metrics" and begin shooting 3s in volume is a bit perplexing to me. Nobody on this team should be jacking up 3's early in the shot clock except for Glynn (when he's feeling it), and Allen. Otherwise, we need to see the ball move from side to side before taking quick shots. Granted, defenses are playing pack-line against us, but we have to move defenders off of their spots. That might mean having the patience to make some extra passes, screens or a hard off-ball cut or two. We never really did that against Tech. Not disputing that we need to take and make some 3s, but with this team, I think the type of 3s we shoot will be more important than the quantity of 3s we shoot. Years of being a long-suffering Nebrasketball fan have made me a glass half empty guy, but I'd hate to see this group of talented players (who are good guys as well), fail to give it their best shot because we have tried to adopt an identity which does not play to our strengths. Hoping we give great effort and play well tonight. 

I think a lot of people have taken Miles comment about threes out of context.  To me, Miles was saying that if we are going to have to settle for a shot, that it should probably be a three instead of a long two.  I don’t think he was advocating for quick threes early in the shot clock.  I also don’t think he was 100 percent against long twos that are good open shots.  Think Cope at the free throw line.  I think that shots going in every time.  That’s his spots.   I believe that Miles was saying if we are going to settle for something, it probably needs to be a three or shot at the rim.

5 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I think a lot of people have taken Miles comment about threes out of context.  To me, Miles was saying that if we are going to have to settle for a shot, that it should probably be a three instead of a long two.  I don’t think he was advocating for quick threes early in the shot clock.  I also don’t think he was 100 percent against long twos that are good open shots.  Think Cope at the free throw line.  I think that shots going in every time.  That’s his spots.   I believe that Miles was saying if we are going to settle for something, it probably needs to be a three or shot at the rim.

Probably right about Miles' comment. The problem I see is that we haven't shown the same dogged determination in getting to the rim, and that the ball has quit moving too much. The exception would be the last 10 minutes against Seton Hall. It hasn't mattered as much against the weaker competition. James needs to be patient. If he can't create on his first touch, the ball needs to move and he may get the opportunity on a second touch when the defense has had to scramble a bit. It also looks like he's thinking too much and is not reacting to the situation in front of him. 

23 minutes ago, Coaches kid said:

Probably right about Miles' comment. The problem I see is that we haven't shown the same dogged determination in getting to the rim, and that the ball has quit moving too much. The exception would be the last 10 minutes against Seton Hall. It hasn't mattered as much against the weaker competition. James needs to be patient. If he can't create on his first touch, the ball needs to move and he may get the opportunity on a second touch when the defense has had to scramble a bit. It also looks like he's thinking too much and is not reacting to the situation in front of him. 

100% agree that some of what we are seeing isn’t what Miles necessarily wants. I think that’s why he has had numerous talks with James.  I think we’re all on the same page that this team is not a 3 point juggernaut and needs to live and die by the drive with an occasional open three.

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

100% agree that some of what we are seeing isn’t what Miles necessarily wants. I think that’s why he has had numerous talks with James.  I think we’re all on the same page that this team is not a 3 point juggernaut and needs to live and die by the drive with an occasional open three.

Miles just said that they are having a hard time balancing taking good threes and taking a quick three in the shot clock. He doesn't like the three to be taken off the first high pick and roll that starts the offense and that seems to be where most of the quick threes come from.

Edited by Dean Smith

REALLY hope we can get a "W" tonight.  And also would be HUGE if the B10 can do well in this challenge.  The better the perception of the B10, the better chance we have to make the dance.  Not as many "bad" losses and more opportunities at "good" wins. Plus, the National media loves the ACC,  so would be great if the B10 can fare well in this.  Already did well in the Big East challenge, so this would be a nice feather in our cap.

40 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Miles just said that they are having a hard time balancing taking good threes and taking a quick three in the shot clock. He doesn't like the three to be taken of the first high pick in roll that starts the offense and that seems to be where most of the quick threes come from.

This makes a lot of sense.  For as awful as the shot tracking display was on my tv during the hall of fame tournament, the small sample size did show that when Nebraska made more than 5-6 passes in a possession, their shooting percentage was close to 70% if I recall.  I'm fairly certain there is a positive and strong correlation between number of passes in a possession and effective FG %, so I really hope we learned a bit of a lesson against Texas Tech and focus on ball movement tonight.

18 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

If we can finally shoot the 3 ball well for the first time in a few weeks we will get it done. Here’s to nana and Allen hitting 6 or 7 of them 

Team has been trying to shout themselves out of the funk. They need to know when it’s time to do something different, or use someone else.

Also I want to see them move without the ball, it’s one way Creighton beat them.