uneblinstu's post game chatter: Vol 11; ed 6 Western Illinois

Bugeaters1

• Bugeaters1 changed the title to uneblinstu's post game chatter: Vol 11; ed 6 Western Illinois

this was probably a tough game for the guys to focus on all things considered. they were locked in for the first half, which was fortunate. but let's face it: everyone's waiting for the gauntlet to start, and I'm sure our guys are no exception. hopefully they're chomping at the bit to get back in the saddle against quality competition this week. they're going to get plenty of that. 

My hope is that we did not game-plan this game and the staff told the players to simply go out and play.  I will give some credit to the Leathernecks for playing pretty good defense.  I also remember them taking Creighton to the end losing by single figures.

But sheesh, we were sure clanking our free throws and three pointers.  I have to believe one or two players shot okay, but man, many of the players were shooting and hoping.

For us to beat Clemson (and the run of teams coming at us thereafter) we need to keep rebounding, keep up our defensive effort and shoot a whole lot better.  It is not the offense in my opinion.  We are getting plenty of good looks, but finishing was iffy at best.

Win and move on.  Hope we start making baskets.

8 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

The charter plane gets in late tonight. So I don't know if they will leave yet tonight after the plane gets in or not. I would leave ASAP if it were me.

I know that Kent mentioned in the post-game that he was staying in Lincoln tonight rather than driving back to Omaha.  Miles simply said that nobody needed to be worried, the team will make it to Clemson.  Not sure that means the flight time will be altered, but it could.  

Slow start in this one but after Gilbeck picked up his 2nd foul the team went on a 36-8 run (if you can call that a run) to put away the Leathernecks early

After starting 0-4 Palmer gets chewed out about his shot selection and shot 50% the rest of the way, taking it into the lane. 0-5 from 3 and his nightmare 3pt shooting season continues.

Watson is the MVP of this one. Shot well, pulled down 9 boards, and Kobe Webster held to 3 points on the other end. His great season continues.

Quiet game for Cope. Foul trouble slowed him down.  He didn't pick up any in the 2nd half and has only fouled out once in his career.

Roby had some nice post moves and has stretches...at one point he turned over Gilbreck, scored on the other end, and then turned Gilbreck over again.

Allen couldn't hit a 3 but had a solid game. Got his first career block!

Nana was first off the bench with Harris. Finally hit a 3 and almost had a spectacular dunk. Still gets lost out there from time to time.

Harris has no confidence to pull the trigger on a 3. Has a nose for rebounding and pulled down another 5.

Brady...boy he just shows you so much skill. He's going to have a really good career here.

On to Clempson 

8 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

after today's game, roby's shooting 14% from 3 and palmer is shooting 17% from 3. 

i know it's early, but definitely something to keep an eye on.

these next 5 games are going to be interesting. 

Palmer shouldn't shoot a three the rest of the year (tad dramatic). Almost all the attempts i have seen from have looked so awful. 

Drive to the basket over and over. They almost always collapse on him which leaves someone literally anyone other than him open to shoot a 3.

Edited by khoock

2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

I was surprised how long the starters stayed in the 2nd half... need to get two outta the next three.

I have noticed this multiple games this year. I think that  different metrics are being looked at by the selection committee and Tim is wanting to step on the gas longer and harder than before. 

3 hours ago, khoock said:

Palmer shouldn't shoot a three the rest of the year (tad dramatic). Almost all the attempts i have seen from have looked so awful. 

Drive to the basket over and over. They almost always collapse on him which leaves someone literally anyone other than him open to shoot a 3.

I’d rather have him get called for 5 offensive fouls than jack three pointers at this point.  Idk if he would listen but I wish miles would tell him no 3 points for the first 5 mins or so of the game. Get to the rim or the line and get some rythem goin

I took a screen shot of the box score 10 minutes into this game and we had 0 assists.  That tells me our guys are not playing team ball right now and makes us easy to defend.  That stat has got to change moving forward or we are in for a long disappointing season!

Roby needs to start playing like he is the best player on our team... Not the 4th option.  I don't care that Palmer was All B1G... I don't care that this is Copeland's Senior year... I don't care if this is Glynn's team.  Roby needs to start making a statement and stop being a selfless basketball player.  

^^^ With that said, the other players need to recognize that in order for us to succeed.  Palmer I'm looking at you!

2 hours ago, big red22 said:

Roby needs to start playing like he is the best player on our team... Not the 4th option.  I don't care that Palmer was All B1G... I don't care that this is Copeland's Senior year... I don't care if this is Glynn's team.  Roby needs to start making a statement and stop being a selfless basketball player.  

^^^ With that said, the other players need to recognize that in order for us to succeed.  Palmer I'm looking at you!

At some point we have to start calling things for what they are. Roby isnt the best player on this team. Hes not the second best. Hes not even the third best. He is indeed the fourth best player on this team rn. Thats how hes playing and he has never really shown us much different.

Now im not knocking him bc there are some really good players on this team and Roby does have the most NBA potential. But he is not currently the best player on the team nor has he ever been during his time here.

Edited by khoock

*-Nebraska has now won 15 straight at home, the longest active streak in the Big Ten and the longest by a Husker team since a 16-game home win streak which spanned the 1981-82 and 1982-83 seasons.
*-Glynn Watson finished with a season-high 20 points and matched his career best with nine rebounds (vs. Minnesota in 2017-18). It was Watson’s 12th career 20-point game at Nebraska.
*-With 20 points today, Glynn Watson Jr. now has 1,132 career points and sits in 25th place. He moved past Tai Webster (1,116) and Ryan Anderson (1,125) on Saturday.
*-With three steals, Glynn Watson Jr. tied Brandon Richardson for eighth on NU’s career steals list with 145. 
*-Nebraska had three double figure runs (13-0 and 19-0, 10-0) and now has 11 for the season.
*-Western Illinois was held to a season-low 49 points, more than 30 points below their season average (80.4) and the first time they have been held under 65 points this season.
*-Thomas Allen’s blocked shot was the first of his career. 

Nebraska Head Coach Tim Miles
On the team’s emphasis today. 
“Pass the ball. When we did that tonight, I thought we were pretty good. I don’t know what the stat was, but I think this is fairly accurate so we’re going to go with it. In the first half, we were 12 for 19 from the field after three passes. That is good basketball. Now, we didn’t continue it in the second half when we got a big lead. That’s where we can’t let our guard down because whether you have a big lead or are behind like we were against Texas Tech, if those same habits come out, quick, early outside shot. It makes it really hard on your defense. I didn’t think our three-point defense was great tonight, but I do really like what Billy Wright is doing at Western Illinois. This is the first game that I think they have really been out of. You can tell he coached for (NU assistant) Coach Jim Molinari. You can tell he took over for coach Mo. I mean they are a base man-to-man team, no nonsense. They guard you. They make it hard for you to score. I think we were averaging 85 (points) or more at home, there was no way we were getting to that tonight. So, I think you have to credit them too.”

On Isaiah Roby
“We’re trying to put the ball inside some too. Isaiah (Roby) I think is one of our best options, and those first two times were really good. He kind of fell into the jumper mode after that. At the same time, we want to go to him, and he’s very capable inside now.”

Western Illinois Head Coach Billy Wright
On not being intimidated by Nebraska
“For the most part in the second half I would agree, but in the first half we were not ourselves. I think that had a lot to do with them (Nebraska). Their size, their length, their athleticism and the environment. I mean what a great environment for our young men to get this experience, but you look at some things that we didn’t do so well the first half, we were able to correct in the second half and it was 33-32 in the second half. We’re proud of our effort and our fight, particularly in the second half. We were able to do some things better even though we didn’t shoot the ball very well and had some guys in foul trouble. We were still very competitive for most of the second half we just got down too many points from the start.”

On his team showing fight against Nebraska
“Absolutely, for the youth that we have, you look at, you know Kobe (Webster) didn’t shoot the ball very well and Brandon (Gilbeck) in foul trouble and you have Isaac (Johnson) and Ben (Pyle) out there and they’re trying to do some nice things. I thought for the most part we kept fighting, but they were too big, too athletic in most of the positions and it showed. When we went to a zone in the second half we got three or four stops in a row and kind of got out running and they put the starters back in. There aren’t any moral victories but I’m proud of the way our guys fought and competed.”

On what his team can learn from a game like this
“For the most part it’s a 40-minute game. The first four are just as important as the last four. One of the things we really wanted to do was take away the three-point shot. I think Nebraska is a really good three-point shooting team and to hold them to 4-20 from the three-point line I thought that was a credit to our guys but it also opened up driving angles and offensive rebounds when we didn’t block out so those are some things that we can look up and build up on.”

Nebraska Players Isaiah Roby and Glynn Watson

On bouncing back after the loss to Texas Tech

Roby: “I think we played all right. Obviously, we know it’s early in the season and we’ve got a lot to learn from that game, but we played well today.”

On emphasizing defense today against WIU

Watson: “Yes and rebounding. Coach had talked about us rebounding so we just tried to come out and play defense and rebounding

On defending Brandon Gilbeck

Roby: “I had to focus a lot on positioning because a guy like that, if you give him an angle to the rim it’s going to be a dunk so I had to focus on that a lot. Just staying strong and walling up on him. I’m going to have to do that a lot especially around conference time so it was good to see it early.”

On being aggressive on the offensive end

Roby: “Yes, but at the same time we’re taking one shot, we’re taking one pass shots so I’m the five man right now. As the five man, I’m supposed to set screens and keep the ball moving and not have the ball stick. So, yeah I need to be aggressive, but at the same time I need to keep sharing it.”

On his offensive performance

Watson: “Yeah, just being aggressive. My shot wasn’t really falling last game but I’m going to stay aggressive and play my game. Coach Miles put me in a good position to score and set screens and stuff like that, so I was just being aggressive.”

On defensive rebounding

Watson: “I’m just cleaning up, the other guys box out and things like that but I’m the guy that’s got to clean up when those guys box out. Coach Miles told us all we had to come rebound today and play our defense and that’s what I’m trying to do.”

50 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

I'm on my phone so I'm struggling with flightaware.com but there is a flight from Lincoln to Greenville, SC scheduled to leave at 1:55 pm. Maybe that's it. I didn't see any flights to SC that left last night. 

Cope's instagram has a post from a few hours ago that looked like he was still in town.

I think you're right here.