Bad Team

Fastbreaker

My worthless view....just generalities mostly.

Not so sure I would call us a bad team.......we just have a lot to fix. There are several problems, but the whole deal is yet to come together..

Really poor defense primarily. 

I assumed the starters would be more dominate. It could be we are subbing so much, the "seniors" (not age, but experience) ....they haven't gotten into a grove. Some are all in, going hard....not so much from some.... some of the time,  not all the time. 

The subbing seems to be "erratic" ...so much of it it's hard to get continuity. But Coach is looking to the future and trying to develop players...give them floor time.

The "team" play of Drake is why they win...excellent fundamentally, and don't beat them selves. . They're not real talented, just play together extremely well. We aren't there yet like we were last. year.

Not discouraged.....we have talent...good kids working hard. It will come together.

37 minutes ago, huskerchode said:

I found the final quarter online - not a lot of good there.  Haiby looked good - maybe she should start?  Lots of sloppy mistakes and I didn't see a whole lot of rebounding and our defense of the 3 was an abomination.  Why can't we take care of the ball?

Actually when Haiby and Hudson were in the game against Drake it seemed that they played well together. Then coach pulled both and we lost all of the momentum, and lost. had they stayed in the game IMO the huskers would have won the game.

I agree that there seems to be a lack of caring and/or wanting to win (not bad enough at least). The defensive intensity isn't there; turnovers galore; we're getting out-hustled on all loose and 50/50 balls; rebounding is awful - we're giving up way too many second chance points and not giving ourselves the same opportunities. There just seems to be a lack of energy and intensity as a whole out there. Honestly, I'm really disappointed in our upper clsssmen's play thus far. Nicea, Maddie and Hannah should be the examples, but currently the freshman are the ones coming into the game with some hunger. It's still really early in the season, but I'd really like to see the girls step it up... A LOT!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, redsteve said:

My worthless view....just generalities mostly.

Not so sure I would call us a bad team.......we just have a lot to fix. There are several problems, but the whole deal is yet to come together..

Really poor defense primarily. 

I assumed the starters would be more dominate. It could be we are subbing so much, the "seniors" (not age, but experience) ....they haven't gotten into a grove. Some are all in, going hard....not so much from some.... some of the time,  not all the time. 

The subbing seems to be "erratic" ...so much of it it's hard to get continuity. But Coach is looking to the future and trying to develop players...give them floor time.

The "team" play of Drake is why they win...excellent fundamentally, and don't beat them selves. . They're not real talented, just play together extremely well. We aren't there yet like we were last. year.

Not discouraged.....we have talent...good kids working hard. It will come together.

We tried to watch the game but the stream kept freezing so I went out and did some maintenance on my work car. Didn't know the score until I just got in.

These are good kids who are talented and will win games and get it going. However on any team in any sport the pieces have to fit together.  Right now the kids are all trying very hard but we don’t have any kids that VIEW THEMELVES  as “role players”. Great teams have role players.  On paper we didn’t graduate “high talent” but jas was our best defender and took a lot of pride in it and woody viewed her main job as to lead.  When we get some kids that figure out “I can help the team the most by being a dominant rebounder or a lock down defender” or by being the kid that sets the tone in practice every day so we get better habits then we will blossom.     Right now every kid that comes in wants to shoot and score their way into more minutes. That’s not unusual at all and very normal on a lot of teams.  Especially young teams. However On good teams u defend, rebound and take care of the ball into more minutes.  Just the way it is.  — we are plenty talented and we will get better as kids settle in.  

Edited by kansashusker

I must agree with Fastbreaker, but I believe we have a higher level of overall Talent on this years team (newcomers less graduates) than last years team.  With all the newcomers I just think they haven't quite figured it all out yet!   [IMG] 

EDIT:  It seems to me Actualfacts1 has pretty much hit the nail on the head!  :nod:  (we Do seem to leave a lot of points on the floor)

Turnovers need to be reduced.  Rebounding, at both ends needs to improve, getting to loose balls must improve.   Haiby needs to play more minutes and even start.   If Leah Brown defends and rebounds then she should get more minutes than Kissinger, even Verbeek might need to supplant Kate.  Where is Maddie Simon? 

Some of the above simply comes down to effort and desire.  Both had better show up on Sunday.

Edited by Cazzie22

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

Turnovers need to be reduced.  Rebounding, at both ends needs to improve, getting to loose balls must improve.   Haiby needs to play more minutes and even start.   If Leah Brown defends and rebounds then she should get more minutes than Kissinger, even Verbeek might need to supplant Kate.  Where is Maddie Simon? 

Some of the above simply comes down to effort and desire.  Both had better show up on Sunday.

I could see starting Brown instead of Simon.  And Haiby instead of Kissinger.  Try Cain, Eliely, Brown, Whitish, Haiby for starters and see what happens.  Just my two cents based on a snapshot of what I’ve seen.

I went and studied the stats and two things stood out.  Turnovers, we need to value the ball.  We are plus 2.7 in this area. The other is perplexing.  We are a horrible second quarter team.  We have basically lost all three games in the second quarter.  And even in our win, we let SC Upstate outscore us in the second. 

The other point mentioned above was different personnel minutes.  Haiby is already playing the fourth most minutes so you risk freshman burn out if you increase.   Also someone suggusted Brown for Kissinger.  Why?   Put our 70% three point shooter on the bench.  Kissinger is equal or better than Brown in all metrics.

A case could be made for Brown over Simon, but they play different positions and have different assignments.

Maybe as someone has observed earlier, maybe it is just a case of getting used to each other in an game environment.

Just a few of my observations.

Edited by Fastbreaker