uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 5 - Texas Tech (HHCDave edition)

hhcdave

If I know coach Miles like I know coach Miles (I don't know coach miles at all). The Big turning point in that game was a moment he should be kicking himself for, and that toasting his guys in that press in the first half. The guys looked super tired and gassed and we kept with that press - which is when Tech got their juice going and made a nice little run towards the end of the half. We didn’t bounce back after that. 

My old golf coach used to say, “you can’t win the tournament on the front 9 - but you can lose it.” 

Thanksgiv For Nothing

Happy Thanksgiving! Listen to make sure you win your family's Nebrasketball holiday argument. Today Caleb and Jake analyze what went wrong on Tuesday night and how our tournament chances are effected by the loss to Texas Tech. Don't not listen because we lost we will bring hope to those who are despairing.

16 hours ago, basketballjones said:

If I know coach Miles like I know coach Miles (I don't know coach miles at all). The Big turning point in that game was a moment he should be kicking himself for, and that toasting his guys in that press in the first half. The guys looked super tired and gassed and we kept with that press - which is when Tech got their juice going and made a nice little run towards the end of the half. We didn’t bounce back after that. 

My old golf coach used to say, “you can’t win the tournament on the front 9 - but you can lose it.” 

Not to be on the refs again but we were up 14-5 when James got one or both of his charges then they didn't call it on the other end a few possessions later and it was all downhill after that. But yeah Thomas Allen played the 2nd least minutes of the starters at 36 minutes on a back to back. The zone did not work especially in the half court.

On 11/21/2018 at 6:49 AM, Handy Johnson said:

-For all of his shortcomings, Jordy gave you a low post prescence & was someone you could dump it down to on the block. We’re missing that.

We perhaps were missing that from Heiman. Jordy and his slow developing post moves would have either resulted in easy steals or Owens launching his shot into press row.

7 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

We perhaps were missing that from Heiman. Jordy and his slow developing post moves would have either resulted in easy steals or Owens launching his shot into press row.

Yes we tried this with Roby and it did not work. Jordy would've equalled turnovers in this game. Now that I've seen Brady contribute I'm totally over Jordy. I wouldn't take this year Jordy over this year Brady and in the future its not even close.

This is probably way off topic, but Michael Jacobson could sure help this team.  I am often wrong in my opinions and I was wrong about Jacobson.  He had two outstanding games in Maui scoring in the 20’s.  Morrow seems to have the same role at Marquette that he had at NU.  

Finally, I am thankful to Gonzaga for slowing down the Duke hype train.  Amazing that no call was whistled in the Dukies favor at games end.  Coach K must be losing his touch.

I need to go back and watch what happened but the game was lost around the 13 minute mark after both teams had 3 scoreless possessions each and after that point we couldn't stop Tech from scoring.  Need to re-watch this game in general. As far as Tech finding a blueprint for beating us...how many teams in the conference are running packline defenses?  How many of them are better than Tech's?  

We didn't share 

Assists per game (% of our baskets that had assists)

Mississippi Valley St - 23 (.605)
Southeastern Louisiana  - 21 (.677)
Seton Hall  -15 (.577)
Missouri St.  - 21 (.677)
Texas Tech  - 6 (.353) 

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

This is probably way off topic, but Michael Jacobson could sure help this team.  I am often wrong in my opinions and I was wrong about Jacobson.  He had two outstanding games in Maui scoring in the 20’s.  Morrow seems to have the same role at Marquette that he had at NU.  

Yeah hes missed. Probably would be the third best player on this team. I didn’t watch the whole games in MAUI but I believe he was playing center for ISU while I watched

1 hour ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Yeah hes missed. Probably would be the third best player on this team. I didn’t watch the whole games in MAUI but I believe he was playing center for ISU while I watched

Woah you think very highly of Jacobson 3rd best player I want to hear who is above and below him. I'd have the entire core 4 over him easily. To be honest though I haven't followed Jacobson whatsoever so maybe he's putting up 20 a game idk.

4 hours ago, cjbowbros said:

Thanksgiv For Nothing

Happy Thanksgiving! Listen to make sure you win your family's Nebrasketball holiday argument. Today Caleb and Jake analyze what went wrong on Tuesday night and how our tournament chances are effected by the loss to Texas Tech. Don't not listen because we lost we will bring hope to those who are despairing.

Not to be on the refs again but we were up 14-5 when James got one or both of his charges then they didn't call it on the other end a few possessions later and it was all downhill after that. But yeah Thomas Allen played the 2nd least minutes of the starters at 36 minutes on a back to back. The zone did not work especially in the half court.

First time I’ve listened to the podcast. Nice job guys. I am not sure it can be ignored how tired the guys seemed. Hope that gets addressed. 

Biggest issue we have right now, as far as I can tell, is we have 5 guys on the court most of the time that are all trying to make “the play.” I’m not calling them selfish. I think we have a bunch of very good guys who care about their teammates and want the best for everyone. But sometimes you just gotta be the guy who’s gonna swing the ball and get reversals. The stats shows, to a certain extent, the more passes and the more reversals a team gets, their FG % go up. 

Just got too many guys trying to do too much right now. It comes from a good place, bunch of guys who don’t want to let anyone down and want to live up to the hype. But ya still gotta play ball the right way and can’t force things. 

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I need to go back and watch what happened but the game was lost around the 13 minute mark after both teams had 3 scoreless possessions each and after that point we couldn't stop Tech from scoring.  Need to re-watch this game in general. As far as Tech finding a blueprint for beating us...how many teams in the conference are running packline defenses?  How many of them are better than Tech's?  

We didn't share 

Assists per game (% of our baskets that had assists)

Mississippi Valley St - 23 (.605)
Southeastern Louisiana  - 21 (.677)
Seton Hall  -15 (.577)
Missouri St.  - 21 (.677)
Texas Tech  - 6 (.353) 

Tech was out in the passing lanes and switched all of our down screens and exchanges, and knocked us very high off of our natural spots one pass away. That didn’t look like a packline to me?

2 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

1. He’d be a senior.

2. I watched Iowa State, and he’s still a defensive liability in the pick and roll (he can’t/won’t switch onto a guard) and has poor lateral quickness.  

3.  No way he gets minutes over Roby and Cope, but he’d obviously be better off the bench than Tanner or Heiman (at this point).  

4. Greatly improved offensive game.  MJ is a good player overall now—better than average—but he made the right choice in leaving.  He’s too good to be a D1 bench player at most institutions.  Tough spot he was in in hindsight.  

6 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Granted, Jordy was no Olajuwon on the block, but that oh so slow hook would go in from time to time. This is why I thought it might be time to start Brady with the Big 4. Gives you a weapon in the lane, let’s see what he’s got. He didn’t even play against TT... I know Allen gives you another shooter but I’m curious to see what a Brady/Cope/Roby frontline would look like.

2 hours ago, cjbowbros said:

Woah you think very highly of Jacobson 3rd best player I want to hear who is above and below him. I'd have the entire core 4 over him easily. To be honest though I haven't followed Jacobson whatsoever so maybe he's putting up 20 a game idk.

I think Palmer and Copeland would be considered better than him. As a pro prospect no he’s not the third best on this team but as a guy you watch game in and game out and say woah this guy makes us significantly better he would be 3rd best in my opinion. Roby would slide to the 3 where he would be a significantly better player on both sides of the floor as well.  

I think we make the tournament w Jacobsen last year as well which is a mut point. I wish him the best and that’s coming from a guy who hates the Iowa schools in basketball 

8 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I think Palmer and Copeland would be considered better than him. As a pro prospect no he’s not the third best on this team but as a guy you watch game in and game out and say woah this guy makes us significantly better he would be 3rd best in my opinion. Roby would slide to the 3 where he would be a significantly better player on both sides of the floor as well.  

I think we make the tournament w Jacobsen last year as well which is a mut point. I wish him the best and that’s coming from a guy who hates the Iowa schools in basketball 

Well it turns out he's averaging almost 20 a game so you might be right. That sucks... I mean good for him glad it's working out.

3 hours ago, basketballjones said:

First time I’ve listened to the podcast. Nice job guys. I am not sure it can be ignored how tired the guys seemed. Hope that gets addressed. 

Biggest issue we have right now, as far as I can tell, is we have 5 guys on the court most of the time that are all trying to make “the play.” I’m not calling them selfish. I think we have a bunch of very good guys who care about their teammates and want the best for everyone. But sometimes you just gotta be the guy who’s gonna swing the ball and get reversals. The stats shows, to a certain extent, the more passes and the more reversals a team gets, their FG % go up. 

Just got too many guys trying to do too much right now. It comes from a good place, bunch of guys who don’t want to let anyone down and want to live up to the hype. But ya still gotta play ball the right way and can’t force things. 

I found it interesting that the guys were tired and played poorly because of it because last year we were like 9-1 or something on 1 or less days of rest right? This should make us better.

Also thanks for saying you enjoyed the podcast I know we're just two kids who don't and won't do journalism but I've learned about and watched so much basketball in the last few years feel like we have the knowledge and free time ? to compete with the big guys. 

Edited by cjbowbros

On 11/22/2018 at 1:47 PM, basketballjones said:

What happens first: the guys figuring out how to play more as a team or Ed/MJ no longer being brought up after a loss?

On 11/22/2018 at 4:32 PM, cjbowbros said:

I found it interesting that the guys were tired and played poorly because of it because last year we were like 9-1 or something on 1 or less days of rest right? This should make us better.

Also thanks for saying you enjoyed the podcast I know we're just two kids who don't and won't do journalism but I've learned about and watched so much basketball in the last few years feel like we have the knowledge and free time ? to compete with the big guys. 

I only watched live and am not going back to rewatch any of that but I don’t remember seeing any indication that anyone’s play was effected by fatigue during the game. 

5 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

I only watched live and am not going back to rewatch any of that but I don’t remember seeing any indication that anyone’s play was effected by fatigue during the game. 

This subject was debated on this board a couple of weeks ago.  Many thought tired legs or fatigue would not be an issue this year.  Some said that playing 32 to 40 minutes per game would not tire out a college player.  Sooo, how pray-tell could our team be tired while playing in the forth or fifth game of the year?  Fatigue was not the problem.  Focus, effort, bad luck, bad shooting, being outhustled, out played and out coached may have individually or collectively been more of a problem...just saying.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Looking at Tech's schedule... they should be 10-0 when they play Duke on a neutral court at MSG.

They should also be 11-1 heading into the conference portion of their schedule.  

Holy cow. Tech's non-conference schedule is absolute trash. I had never looked before. Thank goodness we don't schedule like that anymore.