Roby will be back. Book it

As some think the sky is falling w the loss take solice in this, roby will be back for his senior year. He’s still a good player but he’s made no strides from last year that I can tell. 

Take a look at tonight. Had basically no impact in 35+ minutes vs decent(not pro) bigs from Texas tech. 

So while the loss sucks atleast we will get a year and a half of mr roby 

I thought about this earlier this week actually. It would benefit him to come back for a couple reasons 

-he gets to play his natural 4 position (heiman I'm assuming moves over to start at C) 

-he will likely be the primary option on the team 

-I think once draft time rolls around teams will see him as a fringe 1st Rd early second. Coming back will help him boost that stock. 

This is all wishful thinking obviously. I think he'll rebound from tonight's performance. Texas tech is a hell of a defensive team. He'll go back and watch some tape. He was passive more than anything. AGAIN. It was just a thought. It all depends on how he looks throughout the year. 50/50 chance. 

The play that typified his mentality was in the second half, when someone found him wide open at the top of the key. And by wide open, I mean nobody is within 7-8 feet of him. He pump fakes, then drives hard, stumbles, falls to the ground, and throws it to a tech player. He’s got to be able to take that shot and hit it.  Don’t get me wrong. I love Roby. He’s my son’s favorite player. But he hasn’t shown any type of killer instinct in three years. Shoot, I’d just take a little bit of nasty and aggressiveness from him. Someone on the board compared him to a poor mans scottie pippen. I’d say, more like Tracy McGrady. Laid back, calm, and chill—

like I said in the game thread- I’d love to put Rudy Ruettiger’s heart in his body. 

Edited by Faux Mike Peltz

I won't book it yet.

Here's why.   I don't see alot of middle ground with him and our performance this year.  If the season goes as we hope, we make the dance and we only do that with him being very good and efficient.   

Or, if he's not,, if he's like tonight, we don't dance and we are having a coaching search.   Will he stick around for that?

Edited by nustudent

Roby is nowhere near ready for the NBA. That "lottery pick" article made me chuckle at the time it came out.

That's not to be a jerk - he WILL likely play in the NBA. But it won't be after this year.

Think of all the GREAT college players we've seen come and go that didn't even sniff the NBA. Even guys at Nebraska alone.

Cookie Belcher... Aleks Maric... Lance Jeter... Nate Johnson...

Now, do we really think an inconsistent rising junior is going to be a lottery pick who is playing out of his natural position?

Granted, he has MUCH better athleticism than the majority of the above names, but he's nowhere near as accomplished of a college player.

And those are just random Nebraska players.

34 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

Roby is nowhere near ready for the NBA. That "lottery pick" article made me chuckle at the time it came out.

That's not to be a jerk - he WILL likely play in the NBA. But it won't be after this year.

Think of all the GREAT college players we've seen come and go that didn't even sniff the NBA. Even guys at Nebraska alone.

Cookie Belcher... Aleks Maric... Lance Jeter... Nate Johnson...

Now, do we really think an inconsistent rising junior is going to be a lottery pick who is playing out of his natural position?

Granted, he has MUCH better athleticism than the majority of the above names, but he's nowhere near as accomplished of a college player.

And those are just random Nebraska players.

he definitely won't if he keeps taking 5 shots per game. 

there's maybe 5 centers in the country who could actually guard him.

either miles is telling him not to shoot or roby has a serious confidence issue.  

both Nana and Allen are taking more shots per game than roby. 

at some point roby has to be selfish and takeover on offense. he has the ability and we've seen it. why he's not doing it i have no idea.

4 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

at some point roby has to be selfish and takeover on offense. he has the ability and we've seen it. why he's not doing it i have no idea.

1. Palmer 2. Copeland 3. Watson

That's why.

Is he deciding he's no. 4 option or is the coaching staff? Regardless, Palmer's an all BIG player, Glynn's the point guard, Cope's the most efficient scorer. That guarantees the ball's going to be in their hands a lot. What's Roby? The best NBA prospect. 

I'll chime in on this subject since it's been on my mind as to why Roby doesn't appear to be living up to his potential so far this season. I believe some of it has to do with how the refs have called ticky-tack fouls on him. He's big and athletic as can be and when he combines that with playing "aggressive" (like we all want him to) he gets nicked for a foul. I think that plays with his mind and he gets too conservative and indecisive. Now, I'm not saying all the fouls aren't warranted as some are pretty dumb and obvious, but he's still trying to figure it out and I believe he will. 

8 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

He needs a baby-hook, turn around “J” and some back to the basket moves. I’ve harped on this before, but man you see the potential and his tentative offensive play and it’s maddening.

Really thought he would develop some sort of post move in the off season. Pretty disappointing so far  

6 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

he definitely won't if he keeps taking 5 shots per game. 

there's maybe 5 centers in the country who could actually guard him.

either miles is telling him not to shoot or roby has a serious confidence issue.  

both Nana and Allen are taking more shots per game than roby. 

They said during the broadcast that he averaged 5 shots a game per season last year and that Miles' focus was to have him take more than that this season.  Right after that they said Roby had taken 5 shots in the game. ?

Conjecture and/or guesses.  Isaiah is a very gifted basketball athlete.  Much goes into life decisions and those decisions will be made by him with guidance from family, Nebraska staff and anyone else that he trusts.  I doubt many if any of those that he trusts contributes in this, or any other opinion site.  Just saying...

If you want to see what a difference confidence and an aggressive mindset makes watch Hachimura for Gonzaga. Similar body type and skill set as Roby (more polished in post). He is a flat stud and went toe to toe with the Duke phenoms. I wish Roby could get to that mental confidence and killer attitude. Hopefully he figures it out soon for his team.

Roby wouldn't be the first player to have all the tools in the world but not the psychology to play competitively at the highest levels of sport. Nothing wrong with that, either. We all are who we are. 

I'm inclined to think Roby just is who he is, and that he's probably going to always be this way. He'll have the occasional monster game, but this is a guy that's not going to be especially aggressive because it's just not his nature. 

In a way, he reminds me of Toney McCray, who I thought never reached his full potential (partly, I believe, because of Doc's short leash). Roby is more talented and has a higher ceiling, but I always thought McCray was one of Doc's best recruits potential-wise. For whatever reason, he never reached his full potential IMO. Like Roby, he seemed to have almost a too laid-back personality. I really hope Roby doesn't turn out to be McCray 2.0.

10 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

If you want to see what a difference confidence and an aggressive mindset makes watch Hachimura for Gonzaga. Similar body type and skill set as Roby (more polished in post). He is a flat stud and went toe to toe with the Duke phenoms. I wish Roby could get to that mental confidence and killer attitude. Hopefully he figures it out soon for his team.

At least a portion of the problem is that his movements are so closely called by referee's.  I am not saying there is a conspiracy against him, but so often he gets called for actions that other bigs get away with.  If you watch other games and see players in the paint playing with physicality, it is amazing.  Because Isaiah is more of an athlete than a behemoth, he seems to get called for those touch fouls.  Or so it appears to my biased eyes.

If he does go this year

it would have to be 1 of those draft work out stock risers or whatever in my opinion.

Unless something changes mentality wise offensively.

But I dont think hes been horrible out there after rewatching some games.

Defensively I feel he's draft ready.

Seems as though he's the 4th option on this team offensively and maybe he doesnt want to interrupt the offensive flow or whatever which makes him seem too be indecisive. Who knows could be a million different things lol

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk