Roby will be back. Book it

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Maybe before the rule change but isn't it still going to be leave if drafted, stay if not because that's an option this year?

I was referring to the fact that Roby May now see some time at his more natural 4 position alongside Borchardt and may also be needed to be more aggressive on the offensive end.   These things could increase his status.    He doesn’t have to declare to have an idea 

Roby in the 20s is surprising to me, but I suppose it shouldn't be. A lot of teams take flyers on bodies a la Darko for the Pistons. But those usually don't work out too well. 

I wouldn't even look at Roby until late second round solely on his accomplishments, not his potential. NBA teams usually aren't in the development business to a big extent. 

I till see him coming back short of a fairly radical change for this last part of the season. A change I don't think his personality supports. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am not going to comment about his 3-point shooting, other than his shot looks good, and they simply are not finding net.  Wait, I will make one comment; he still passes up open looks and then dribble drives into a turnover...which drives me nuts.  

Where I see the issue is that Isaiah is still tentative around the rim.  I still believe a big part of that is the fear of being called for an offensive foul.  Let's simply look at the last game and his match-up with Murphy.  Murphy gets very low, and oftentimes crab dribbles.  He leverages his shoulders and chicken wing and more often than not, gets away with it.  His shot always takes place with his momentum going towards the rim.  Contrast that with Isaiah.  He tends to stay high and his dribbles are high.  He opens himself up to reaches and allows the opponent to leverage his upper body.  Oftentimes, Isaiah ends up falling backwards or sideways when releasing the ball.  

Now I do not profess to be an expert, but my humble opinion is that he still remains tentative with his shot, despite shooting more.  He will improve his percentages by actually being more aggressive.  Yet the obvious concern is foul trouble.  The more Isaiah bangs, the more apt he is to being called for fouls.

Edited by Huskerpapa

1 hour ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

Another example of people shooting worse here as time goes on.  It is ludicrous how often it happens.   Obviously we don't have coaches good at teaching technique, but it almost has to be something else, like a bad weight program or what not.  It is crazy.  

21 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Another example of people shooting worse here as time goes on.  It is ludicrous how often it happens.   Obviously we don't have coaches good at teaching technique, but it almost has to be something else, like a bad weight program or what not.  It is crazy.  

This seems like a lack of adjustment to role.

Just now, royalfan said:

probably some of it, but shooting a three pointer is still shooting a three pointer.  

That's how FTs work, not 3pts. You can shoot a 3pt off the dribble, in rhythm, when covered, when not covered, etc. 

He's taking and missing more shots since Copeland went down.  People thought that he'd be more aggressive not having to play the 5 but the thing about being the 4 is that the other team's slow ass center is no longer guarding you. I think he's talented enough to make the adjustment at some point in the same sort of way Tai adjusted when he had to carry the team.

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

That's how FTs work, not 3pts. You can shoot a 3pt off the dribble, in rhythm, when covered, when not covered, etc. 

He's taking and missing more shots since Copeland went down.  People thought that he'd be more aggressive not having to play the 5 but the thing about being the 4 is that the other team's slow ass center is no longer guarding you. I think he's talented enough to make the adjustment at some point in the same sort of way Tai adjusted when he had to carry the team.

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree.  I don't think the majority of the problem is a role change.  If you do, that's cool. 

4 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree.  I don't think the majority of the problem is a role change.  If you do, that's cool. 

While I think that you're right that our staff doesn't enhance the shooting ability of our players it seems like you're a hammer seeing everyone problem as a nail here.

He doesn’t have a “Scorers” mentality & that’s just something we’re going to have to accept. He can obviously still score & be effective but he could pull up for jumpers over most any defender from the 3 point line on in, but he’s just not wired that way...

Edited by Handy Johnson

12 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

While I think that you're right that our staff doesn't enhance the shooting ability of our players it seems like you're a hammer seeing everyone problem as a nail here.

What do you think the cause is of our horrific shooting then?   I think it is lack of good coaching.  

1 minute ago, royalfan said:

What do you think the cause is of our horrific shooting then?   I think it is lack of good coaching.  

A bunch of things go into shooting.  Teams guarding the player tighter.  The lack of confidence.  Going back to bad habits.  Lack of coaching.

Watson is an example

Freshmen year shot 26.7 % from 3

Sophomore year shot 39.7 % from 3

Junior year shot 29.1 % from 3

Senior year shot 43.5 % from 3 in non-conference games

Shooting 29.0 % in conference play