Texas Tech (4-0) vs. Nebraska (4-0) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

2 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

TTech is a middle of the pack B12 team and that will be born out of over the season. Just because they look good against us doesn't mean they are top 4 team in the Big12. They lost a lot of from last seasons team.

Toughness is being outrebounded by nearly 10 and getting abused in the paint.

Agree that they are a very good defensive team, which we will see a lot of, only better in BIG play.

This was an important game to win. Likely a Q2. We need to win those kinds of games. If we learned anything from last year it is that winning Q1/2 games is extremely important when it comes selection Sunday.

TTech just beat a top 30-35 team tonight.  Just because they beat us doesn’t take away the fact that we’ve looked pretty good as well.  I could give a rats what they lost from last year.  They’re good again this year.  They’ll be fine in the Big 12.  Just because we looked bad doesn’t mean they aren’t good.

4 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I mean for decent non-con win isn't it Clemson or TT? If we're gonna be a bubble team you'd like to get one of those two.

Seton Hall was a decent win.  OKST and Creighton will be decent wins if we can get em.  Tech would have been a good win on a neutral court.  Clemson would classify as a great win.

7 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

A road game against a Top 25 team is not a “must” win.  Creighton and OKST... maybe... but not Clemson.

Come resume time, that win will mean NU is dancing if they beat Clemson and play out like last year.  If we drop it along with this one tonight, it makes them have to get enough road wins in conference play, and I don't like their chances for doing that after what we saw tonight.  Both will be looked back upon as missed opportunities.

Sky isn't falling, and I hope tonight is going to be a wakeup/reality check for this team to work harder and find ways above adversity, which they clearly couldn't do tonight.   I don't think Creighton is going to be that good this year, (BigE looks pretty soft so far) and won't help at home much.  And OK State won't be a quality win either.  There are no more road games other than in conference that will help is my point about "must win."

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

Seton Hall was a decent win.  OKST and Creighton will be decent wins if we can get em.  Tech would have been a good win on a neutral court.  Clemson would classify as a great win.

Yeah but last year is still fresh in my head, there are a finite number of quad one games out there and we have got to pile those up. Just sucks to see a win-able one float away. TT and Clemson are probably the only two that are gonna be quad one potential in the non-con, hate to have to think about it but NCAA made it clear last season - that's what they want.

4 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

They may become one, but they just lost to St Louis and are projected to be in the bottom of a weak Big East, I don't think it will help much come resume time.  

6 minutes ago, RexxRacerX said:

Come resume time, that win will mean NU is dancing if they beat Clemson and play out like last year.  If we drop it along with this one tonight, it makes them have to get enough road wins in conference play, and I don't like their chances for doing that after what we saw tonight.  Both will be looked back upon as missed opportunities.

Sky isn't falling, and I hope tonight is going to be a wakeup/reality check for this team to work harder and find ways above adversity, which they clearly couldn't do tonight.   I don't think Creighton is going to be that good this year, (BigE looks pretty soft so far) and won't help at home much.  And OK State won't be a quality win either.  There are no more road games other than in conference that will help is my point about "must win."

Wayyyy too much emphasis is placed on 1-2 games though.  So we lose those two and win the rest.  Then what?  I’m just saying, there’ll be plenty of opportunities for wins in conference this year.

1 minute ago, RexxRacerX said:

Sky isn't falling but this loss puts more pressure on us to get quality wins.

I wouldn't be chalking Creighton, no matter how bad the Big East may be. When is the last time we beat them? That game is a must win, IMHO, for a lot of reasons.

Clemson isn't considered a road game?

21 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Tech is a good probably 20 win team w a great coach. They also had 3 of the top 4 players on the court tonight.  Sky isn’t falling by any means as I think we all woulda taken a 4-1 start to the year when we looked at the schedule. Hopefully Monday is a better showing 

Beard is a very good coach. 

I thought it was interesting on how the commentators harped on the lack of movement in our “offense” and how it resulted in some bad possessions. It was the exact opposite for Tech on their end.  Their action was much better. 

2 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Yeah but last year is still fresh in my head, there are a finite number of quad one games out there and we have got to pile those up. Just sucks to see a win-able one float away. TT and Clemson are probably the only two that are gonna be quad one potential in the non-con, hate to have to think about it but NCAA made it clear last season - that's what they want.

There were fewer last year because of how weak the Big 10 was according to the computers.  This year should be different.  Lot more opportunities

I agree that we will get chances down the stretch in conference play, and as strong as the Big Ten looks this year, it will be great every win we can get.  I'd happily lose these 2 and clean up in conference play, but I just don't see that being realistic.  I just don't want to see this teams' potential shattered because they didn't do what they needed to out of conference/away from home, and so far they've started digging that hole.  And it's not deep enough they can't get out of it right now with 1 game, but I feel like they'll be there losing the Clemson game as well.  Winning that one let's them have some breathing room.

They just need to win the one in front of them. Period.  And that goes for games like tonight where you get smacked in the mouth, you've got to find a way to play out of it.

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

There were fewer last year because of how weak the Big 10 was according to the computers.  This year should be different.  Lot more opportunities

I sure hope so, last year changed the way I saw how a NCAA team's season needs to play out. You can be hot or cold when ever, you can win or lose to whoever - you just need to collect quad one wins when given the opportunity. Here's a refresher article for you basketball nerds - not saying this is over, just saying the "collect quad one wins" mantra will forever be stuck in my head this season.

QUAD ONE IS ALL THAT MATTERS article...

1 minute ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I sure hope so, last year changed the way I saw how a NCAA team's season needs to play out. You can be hot or cold when ever, you can win or lose to whoever - you just need to collect quad one wins when given the opportunity. Here's a refresher article for you basketball nerds - not saying this is over, just saying the "collect quad one wins" mantra will forever be stuck in my head this season.

QUAD ONE IS ALL THAT MATTERS article...

"So while only college basketball junkies are paying close attention in November and December as Fortress Football commands attention, it remains the time for teams to build much (or nearly all) of their postseason résumés.

That’s what Arizona State did, beating Kansas and Xavier before underwhelming in Pacific-12 play. That’s what Oklahoma did, defeating Wichita State nine days before Christmas and poaching some good Big 12 teams in January before collapsing.

Every game counts, from the second week of November right up until Selection Sunday. It’s best to remember that and not get caught up in how a team finishes (even if there really is no reason to trust Arizona State or Syracuse at this point)."

4 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

We not only need Q1/2 wins in conference but OCC as well. That metric is also looked at.

I am not sure why it would matter if games for one in or outside of conference.

Also we are one and one in quadrant one and 2 games  so unless Seton Hall falls apart like Minnesota dead last year we should be fine. 

I think we might need to keep calm and remember that Oklahoma lost 14 games last year  The Big Ten seems to be shaping up to be close to that competitive this year  and with 20 conference games that should be close to 14 quadrant one or two games just in conference. 

The more important thing at this point is weither it looks like we can win those games.  My main concern is that Miles has always struggled on the road. I don’t know why but we can’t just win at home this year. The big dance is not at home either so if we want to get a win there we need to get this figured out which has not been done for seven years under Miles. 

And by the way I think Miles is doing a great job recruiting is more important than anything else and he excels at it and I’m not saying he is entirely to blame.

9 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

I am not sure why it would matter if games for one in or outside of conference.

It shouldn't matter but it does which is why that metric is a part of the resume.

OU is a perfect example of why it is important win these types of games. Their whole season was basically propped up wby what they did OCC.

Look at OU's OCC schedule from last season. They beat Oregon, Wich St, and USC all on neutral sites, along with Northwestern at home. Their only loss was to Arkansas on a Neutral site. 

Why do you think we beefed up our non-con schedule? It matters a lot, but only if you can win some of those games.

I was very very pleased with what we did the first 4 games.   Those teams weren't good, but we beat them the way we should.   Had me believing we truly had turned the corner and were a good team

Then tonight happened.   We may very well end up being a good team.   But right now we have one measuring point against good competition and we looked like a joke.   And that's with the most talented team we've had in a generation,  with lots of experience.   That's not encouraging.   I fear we are going to end up being a talented team where the sum of the whole is less than the sum of the individual parts.   We are way too talented and experienced to look that bad.   That's concerning.   There is/was zero excuse for this tonight.

It's early,   We can rebound.  But as Dave said in the other thread, we just gave away one of the two non-con games we could afford to lose.   No margin of error in losing to Creighton or Okie State now.   Also makes me nervous, because if we do trip up against Creighton....the hot seat is going to be piping (and that's fair) and I worry what that does to us the rest of the year

I think we just need to relax.  It's a long season and a bump in the road is to be expected.  Let me ask you this..."WHAT IS OVER WHEN THE GERMANS BOMBED PEARL HARBOR". HELL NO AND IT AINT OVER NOW"

Take a deep breath.  That game sucked but hopefully a much needed wake up call that you can't fall in love with jumpers with no movement on offense.  That illustration at the end of the game where they showed how hard Tech was moving and cutting to the basket was a thing of beauty and hopefully we took note!

8 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I think we just need to relax.  It's a long season and a bump in the road is to be expected.  Let me ask you this..."WHAT IS OVER WHEN THE GERMANS BOMBED PEARL HARBOR". HELL NO AND IT AINT OVER NOW"

Take a deep breath.  That game sucked but hopefully a much needed wake up call that you can't fall in love with jumpers with no movement on offense.  That illustration at the end of the game where they showed how hard Tech was moving and cutting to the basket was a thing of beauty and hopefully we took note!

Moving and cutting seem to be a foreign concept in our offense most times.  Points in the paint were lopsided and it wasn’t because Tech made an effort to feed the post. It was because they were working to get a higher percentage of shots and driving to the bucket. 

On our end we seemed to be okay with taking quick shots or standing around the 3 point line and having Palmer/Watson chuck it up.  

Im struggling to see how we win as many games as we are hoping for this year if we continue to take a high percentage of our shots from behind the arc. Either that has to change or we need to become a good shooting team which would be a first for a Miles club. 

18 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

On one hand, I agree.   80% of the season is still in front of you.

On the other hand, this season was supposed to be different and last night did not look different.  In fact, it looked eerily similar.   It's only one game/data point, but that's all we really have to go by right now.

Woke up this morning.  Looked outside.  Sun came up and Nebrasketball is 4-1.  Not a bad place to be.

Does last night hurt?  Yup!

Did last night suck?  Yup!

Did we look terrible?  Yup!

Were there and are there still some overreactions?  Yup!

I get that some are just pessimistic by nature about Nebrasketball.  I get that Nebrasketball hasn’t given you a lot to be optimistic about over the years.  Every team has bad nights.  Really think it’s too early to start talking like some have though.  Have a great Thanksgiving and let’s head to Clemson 5-1 and see what happens huh?

10 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

It shouldn't matter but it does which is why that metric is a part of the resume.

OU is a perfect example of why it is important win these types of games. Their whole season was basically propped up by what they did OCC.

Look at OU's OCC schedule from last season. They beat Oregon, Wich St, and USC all on neutral sites, along with Northwestern at home. Their only loss was to Arkansas on a Neutral site. 

Why do you think we beefed up our non-con schedule? It matters a lot, but only if you can win some of those games.

We beefed up our conference resume to get more chances at quality wins. We also by default will have a beefed up conference schedule which will allow us to get quality wins. That doesn't mean that non-conference matters more than conference it just means it matters. I mean we are 4-1 or if you are only talking about Q1 games we are 0-1. Big deal we have 10 more coming up this season. I don't know if its just because I watch a lot of NBA but I just know that teams can play like crap sometimes without being a bad team. It could be an indication we are a bad team but looking at it as a whole picture I'm not even close to making that conclusion. And if we are a good team the wins and losses will work out over the course of a long season.