Texas Tech (4-0) vs. Nebraska (4-0) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

2 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

We beefed up our conference resume to get more chances at quality wins. We also by default will have a beefed up conference schedule which will allow us to get quality wins. That doesn't mean that non-conference matters more than conference it just means it matters. I mean we are 4-1 or if you are only talking about Q1 games we are 0-1. Big deal we have 10 more coming up this season. I don't know if its just because I watch a lot of NBA but I just know that teams can play like crap sometimes without being a bad team. It could be an indication we are a bad team but looking at it as a whole picture I'm not even close to making that conclusion. And if we are a good team the wins and losses will work out over the course of a long season.

I agree that I think this was more of a bad game.  Here is why.  Both Missouri State and Seton Hall provided opportunities for us to fold.  One was at home yes, but one was also away from home.  We could have folded when things got tough but we didn’t in either of those.  Yes I realize that this was our biggest test, yes I realize this was like the first time playing behind, but I don’t think it’s fair to make a judgement after one game.  How they respond this Saturday and next Monday will be more telling I think.

12 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I agree that I think this was more of a bad game.  Here is why.  Both Missouri State and Seton Hall provided opportunities for us to fold.  One was at home yes, but one was also away from home.  We could have folded when things got tough but we didn’t in either of those.  Yes I realize that this was our biggest test, yes I realize this was like the first time playing behind, but I don’t think it’s fair to make a judgement after one game.  How they respond this Saturday and next Monday will be more telling I think.

Just think about when the CFP committee starts doing rankings. IMO you don't really know how good a team is until 20ish games into the season. Obviously we are going to make predictions before that and you can lose some really bad games that can put you out of contention. This is not one of those games. The whole point of playing Q1 games is that losing them hardly matters in the eyes of the committee while winning really helps you. If we go 4-8 in Q1 games and win the majority of our other games (which we have) the committee is going to say great come on into the tournament. We lost one of those games so now we need to go 4-7 in the rest of Q1 games (hypothetically obviously) so I'm not super concerned about getting those 4 games yet just because we missed 1 of 12 oppertunities.

Edited by cjbowbros

3 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

Just think about when the CFP committee starts doing rankings. IMO you don't really know how good a team is until 20ish games into the season. Obviously we are going to make predictions before that and you can lose some really bad games that can put you out of contention. This is not one of those games. The whole point of playing Q1 games is that losing them hardly matters in the eyes of the committee while winning really helps you. If we go 4-8 in Q1 games and win the majority of our other games (which we have) the committee is going to say great come on into the tournament. We lost one of those games so now we need to go 4-7 in the rest of Q1 games (hypothetically obviously) so I'm not super concerned about getting those 4 games yet just because we missed 1 of 12 oppertunities.

I also think some are overacting because of “limited” Q1 opportunities.  However, last year was more of an anomaly IMO.  We’ll have a lot more opportunities this year.

24 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I also think some are overacting because of “limited” Q1 opportunities.  However, last year was more of an anomaly IMO.  We’ll have a lot more opportunities this year.

"Its (Nebraska's) Quadrant 1 record is 1-6. Quadrant 2? Nebraska is 2-3. " Thats 12 Q 1/2 games last year. According to current Kenpom we will play 12 teams in the top 70 and some of them twice this year. Top 70 on the road is a Q1 win. We should play 20 of those games this year. Also we went 3-9 in Q1/2 games last year and were "1 win away" right now we are 0-1 with no bad losses we can still get to 7-13. And who knows maybe seton hall turns it around and we already got one.

Trying to digest last nights performance and hoping the light at the end of the tunnel isn’t an oncoming train.  Woeful offense was played last night with no adjustments being made by the coaching staff.  Timid play around the rim by our bigs was a disappointment.  We just cannot rely on our 3 pt. shooting, we just aren’t that good.  Our 3 pointers need to be and one’s by getting to the rim.  

Defensively, we probably played well enough to win.  Help on offense has to come from somewhere on the bench.  Borchart gave some effort that was badly needed when we were being mangled on the boards.

We cannot continue to whine about officiating and let it affect our play.  These are seniors who have enough experience to adapt to calls.  I expect an hellacious effort against Clemson.

Day after. Looking at the smoking crater/scene of the crime, still not sure what can be made of it. 

There are some games in which so much goes wrong that I'm not sure you can learn much from them at all. 

All I thought about was, "this is this year's St Johns game". 

In any event, I'm hoping it was a case of believing our own bullsh*t and letting that affect our mental state as a program. We haven't handled success well in the past, and it seems to be emerging again. There's so much pressure on this program to get that ridiculous monkey of its back re: the tourney that I think we're susceptible to all sorts of mental collapses under added pressure. 

I've concluded I'll just hover and wait to see how we deal with the next big haymaker before I'm willing to conclude that this team just isn't tough enough to slug through serious adversity or isn't disciplined enough mentally to prevent frequent diversions of its focus. 

Guess the next test is Clemson. Hoping like hell we pass that one. Not necessarily a win, but that we show that we're willing to get off the floor bloody and play the game our way no matter what tries to stop us. 

• Bugeaters1 changed the title to Texas Tech (4-0) vs. Nebraska (4-0) Game Thread
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 11:01 PM, Ron Mexico said:

TTech is a middle of the pack B12 team and that will be born out of over the season. Just because they look good against us doesn't mean they are top 4 team in the Big12. They lost a lot of from last seasons team.

Toughness is being outrebounded by nearly 10 and getting abused in the paint.

Agree that they are a very good defensive team, which we will see a lot of, only better in BIG play.

This was an important game to win. Likely a Q2. We need to win those kinds of games. If we learned anything from last year it is that winning Q1/2 games is extremely important when it comes selection Sunday.

Welp, I completed missed on this one. TTech is for real and their defense is tops in the country. Right up there with Virginia.

Tech gave Duke a good game. They're top 4 material in the B12. Probably could use another reliable scoring option to help with that. 

Physically, not sure anyone can play with Duke over the long haul. They've got what looks like 2-3 first rounders next year. 

39 minutes ago, tcp said:

Tech gave Duke a good game. They're top 4 material in the B12. Probably could use another reliable scoring option to help with that. 

Physically, not sure anyone can play with Duke over the long haul. They've got what looks like 2-3 first rounders next year. 

Prob 4 first rounders including three in the top 10.

Tech turned the ball over too much to win and Culver jacked up some bad shots late in the game.  Tech is by far the best team we have played.  Interesting, Coach K can slam both hands down on the score table with no call.  At least the officials called fouls on the Dukies.  

27 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Tech turned the ball over too much to win and Culver jacked up some bad shots late in the game.  Tech is by far the best team we have played.  Interesting, Coach K can slam both hands down on the score table with no call.  At least the officials called fouls on the Dukies.  

Zion fouled out, JPJ fouled out against TT as well. BS calls aside - TT literally WILL take out your best player. If they figure it our on offense they're elite.