Playing as a team

ZAYWHAT!

It is no secret that this year we have three guys trying to make the NBA or play pro ball somewhere when college basketball at Nebraska is over.      Palmer , Copeland , and Roby all were testing the waters over the summer and although it was unlikely Isaiah was going anywhere, James and Isaac were not a sure thing on coming back for this season.  Well, we lucked out and all three are back.  

I am wondering how these three guys will play together this year with their future after Nebraska basketball on their minds as they go through the season.      Will they play together with a team first mentality or will they try to pad their own stats to help their future after Nebraska.     

We want Nebraska to win and keep winning first and foremost.     Does anyone have any thoughts or concerns about how these three will play together this season and how it will impact the team.    Just throwing this out there as we get going after three easy wins.   

Watch the highlight of Roby’s dunk against Seton Hall again. Great dunk but the best part of that highlight is Cope’s celebration. Watch the previous game’s  highlight of Watson’s great double diving running the play down and getting the tip in play.  We were like up 49 when he did that. You can see this team really celebrate each other’s success. I have zero worries about this team’s chemistry. I can’t even remember who said it but someone in the media described them as, “just a bunch of good dudes.

5 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Watch the highlight of Roby’s dunk against Seton Hall again. Great dunk but the best part of that highlight is Cope’s celebration. Watch the previous game’s  highlight of Watson’s great double diving running the play down and getting the tip in play.  We were like up 49 when he did that. You can see this team really celebrate each other’s success. I have zero worries about this team’s chemistry. I can’t even remember who said it but someone in the media described them as, “just a bunch of good dudes.

Great post.    Credit to these good dudes and their parents, for the character they display.   And their coaches for factoring that in when compiling a roster and making recruiting decisions.  

They seem to have a unified purpose.  Add in high character, talent, and what appears to be, a genuine friendship, provides me with the confidence that this team will stay unselfish and cohesive. 

I guess we will know for sure as the season plays out, but everything you see and hear seems to be positive.

8 hours ago, ZAYWHAT! said:

It is no secret that this year we have three guys trying to make the NBA or play pro ball somewhere when college basketball at Nebraska is over.      Palmer , Copeland , and Roby all were testing the waters over the summer and although it was unlikely Isaiah was going anywhere, James and Isaac were not a sure thing on coming back for this season.  Well, we lucked out and all three are back.  

I am wondering how these three guys will play together this year with their future after Nebraska basketball on their minds as they go through the season.      Will they play together with a team first mentality or will they try to pad their own stats to help their future after Nebraska.     

We want Nebraska to win and keep winning first and foremost.     Does anyone have any thoughts or concerns about how these three will play together this season and how it will impact the team.    Just throwing this out there as we get going after three easy wins.   

This is actually a legit question IMO.  Copeland and Roby do not scare me, but Palmer does.  There was actually a section at the end of the Seton Hall game that was legit very selfish move on Palmer.  It was right after Roby came in for his final little run.

Palmer was sitting somewhere around 25-27 points, and he passed on feeding Roby for a wide open 3 for an off balance contested 15 foot  jumper.  In my head I said no big deal, but if we are in a tight game down the stretch Palmer needs to make that damn pass!

i'm with everyone else. this has been answered in the first few games. 

this is clearly a team on a team mission. and by now they've all realized they're going to get theirs from just doing their jobs. especially if Zay continues his courtesy of only playing about 7 minutes a game. 

Against the Hall, Palmer didn't really try to take over the game until he decided it was absolutely necessary. That's a team player. When Watson's initial scoring outburst tapered off, he stepped back and let someone else emerge. 

II just don't see anything remotely off about this team's chemistry. Quite the opposite. If they lose, it's because they ran into a better team. But they're not going to break themselves up. 

Honestly, not too worried.  I think they all know that they need each other to compliment each other if that makes sense.  Really, as many have already stated, this has already been answered through the first few games.  Seton Hall was the big one when things were tight and we banded together to pull out a big W.

I think they're all smart enough to realize their individual success depends a great deal on the teams success. A deep tourney run means they have put up the numbers to make that happen and more and more people will be aware of that.

P.S. I think Roby sticks for his Senior year regardless of what happens this season.