2018 B1G-ACC Challenge Schedule

throwback

9 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Nebraska (5-3) and Purdue (10-8) are the only two Big Ten teams with a winning record from the B1G side of the ACC-B1G Challenge.

Part of that, however, is the fact that Nebraska is, um, Nebraska and as such we don't get the elite matchups that Michigan, Indiana, MSU, OSU and heck even Iowa do.  So while it's impressive to a certain extent that we have a winning record in our time playing in the challenge, it's not really all that impressive, IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACC–Big_Ten_Challenge

9 hours ago, tcp said:

Hack-a-Edwards looking like a viable strategy in a close game. Sheesh. 

I think Carsen Edwards will suffer from carrying his team on his shoulders all season, similar to Tai Webster in '16 or Terran Petteway in '15.  He an elite talent but will wear down by the end of the year unless someone else steps up.

9 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Welp, on to Illinois now. We will need the home crowd to help. Which coach would be the biggest Wet blanket at your Christmas party, Sourpuss from the Illini, drill sergeant Beard from Texas Tech, or Psycho Fran?

I'm guessing Underwood would keep lunging at my plate of treats, Beard would yell at me for not understanding the true meaning of the holiday, and Fran would just burn down the tree. So all of them.

7 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Here were the betting lines according to ESPN (spread; over/under):

Nebraska @ Clemson: Big Ten not favored (Win)

Attendance: 6,974/9,000 (77%)

Minnesota @ Boston College: Big Ten not favored (Loss)

Attendance: 4,389/8,606 (51%)

Illinois @ Notre Dame: Big Ten not favored (Loss)

Attendance: 8,053/9,149 (88%)

Indiana @ Duke: Big Ten not favored (Loss)

Attendance: 9,314/9,314 (100%)

Rutgers @ Miami: Big Ten not favored (Win)

Attendance: 6,376/8,000 (80%)

ACC home attendance: 60,561/78,659 (77%)

Man, the ACC has some dinky-ass gyms. Other than Duke, those weren't intimidating venues at all. Of course, size isn't everything, is it, Penn State?

Teddy (TV) Valentine did not get a contract with the Big Ten this season.  There was an article on him earlier this year, and he was a bit dismayed about it,  I believe it had to do with an event that occurred last season.  So we will not see him officiating any of our games unless it is a non conference or post-season appearance. 

The 2018 Series ends tied @ 7 each! (but ACC keeps the Cup since they won the previous year.) It's a big improvement though with B1G winning 4 more games than they did in 2017! :Mfclap::Mfclap::Mfclap::Mfclap:

Don't forget [IMG] the Women's BB game tonight @ 6pm central for the Lady's portion of the B1G/ACC Challenge. It'll be a tough test for the Ladies @ #4 Louisville, but who knows, anything can happen! :Cheer2::Cheer2::Cheer2:

(There will be a free video stream on ACC Network/Watch ESPN )
http://www.espn.com/watch/_/id/3453202/nebraska-vs-5-louisville-w-basketball

Refs are calling the charge every time if the offensive guy IN ANY WAY puts his forearm into the chest of the defender, they don't even need to push off any more.  I've seen it more times than I can count already this season.

Davison's flopping aside (which is more of a disgusting display of showboating IMO), what they were calling is actually fairly consistent.  But that begs the question in my mind "what ever happened to freedom of movement and the desire to open the game offensively?"

This push to call offensive players for the push off seems counter-intuitive to the freedom of movement thing.  But then so was moving screen I suppose that they made a point of emphasis over the past couple of years.

5 hours ago, 49r said:

Part of that, however, is the fact that Nebraska is, um, Nebraska and as such we don't get the elite matchups that Michigan, Indiana, MSU, OSU and heck even Iowa do.  So while it's impressive to a certain extent that we have a winning record in our time playing in the challenge, it's not really all that impressive, IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACC–Big_Ten_Challenge

Nebraska only has control over winning or losing, though. So, yes, of course, it's obviously not a "Great Accomplishment' in that sense, I believe it's still a noteworthy point to make for a middling all-time program such as NU.

5 hours ago, 49r said:

I think Carsen Edwards will suffer from carrying his team on his shoulders all season, similar to Tai Webster in '16 or Terran Petteway in '15.  He an elite talent but will wear down by the end of the year unless someone else steps up.

I doubt Edwards will have some of the challenges that Terran dealt with. But, yeah, I know that Carsen's free-throw shooting has been an issue for quite a while. It's tough to be the Big Dog (a la Glenn Robinson Jr.) when he's been used to be more of that dog-and-pony show in Purdue's lineup.

In the Purdue giveaway to FSU, I think Cline has to bear some of the blame for that held ball, regardless of the fact that Valentine was not in position to fully see the play. Purdue wanted him at the free throw line, so I understand why he doesn't want to give the ball up. But he needed to go all out to sell the foul and make it more difficult for the defender to create the perception of a held ball. IMO he made it way too easy for the FSU player to get that call. That said, Purdue misses Vince Edwards, Matthias, Thompson and Haas. 

1 hour ago, Coaches kid said:

In the Purdue giveaway to FSU, I think Cline has to bear some of the blame for that held ball, regardless of the fact that Valentine was not in position to fully see the play. Purdue wanted him at the free throw line, so I understand why he doesn't want to give the ball up. But he needed to go all out to sell the foul and make it more difficult for the defender to create the perception of a held ball. IMO he made it way too easy for the FSU player to get that call. That said, Purdue misses Vince Edwards, Matthias, Thompson and Haas. 

Cline also put up 21 points. I think some fingers should be points elsewhere than just one play at the end.

9 hours ago, 49r said:

Refs are calling the charge every time if the offensive guy IN ANY WAY puts his forearm into the chest of the defender, they don't even need to push off any more.  I've seen it more times than I can count already this season.

Davison's flopping aside (which is more of a disgusting display of showboating IMO), what they were calling is actually fairly consistent.  But that begs the question in my mind "what ever happened to freedom of movement and the desire to open the game offensively?"

This push to call offensive players for the push off seems counter-intuitive to the freedom of movement thing.  But then so was moving screen I suppose that they made a point of emphasis over the past couple of years.

Its an effect of the rule changes in the NBA. Because the defense can't be nearly as physical now as they used to (last year not it the 90's I swear if someone says they were more physical in the 90's ?) they decided to level the playing field for the defense by calling more charges. Its clear that this is drifting downstream from this thread.

the idea of charges being called when defensive players are still in motion is just too counterintuitive to me. I can get push offs---which are their own calls anyway--and even using the shoulder as a battering ram (which was also a call before), but so far, all I'm seeing is a string of abuse on that call. Somehow, the NCAA took an already bad charge call with their stupid lines and made it way worse. It's almost as if they're determined to get players to pull up and take mid-range jump shots again. 

If defenses were getting too physical, there were already calls on the books to use for that. Hand checks, for example. But what is basically a moving wall you can't get around without picking up a foul seems a bit cheap to me. 

Edit: And oh, yeah, I'm going to hate that Wisconsin kid who flies through the air like he's made of origami. From contact with Spud Webb. 

Edited by tcp

I will chime in with my angst.  I simply want to see consistency which I do not always see.  Player control fouls can change the flow of games.  As a result, fans can point to these calls as game changers OR the reasons a referee is biased against one team or the other.  

I am not a huge NBA fan, but I do agree with their flopping rules.  It has (for the most part) alleviated players from flopping.