uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 11, ed 3 - Seton Hall

uneblinstu

3 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

3. On the Gavitt Games and this trip: “When we did our schedule, the only game we didn’t control was this game. I never would have brought this team here -- never in a million years. I don’t know why the Big East sent us out here. I do know they don’t like me (laughs). It’s pretty safe to say I’m never going to another league meeting again.”

(note: that last comment was delivered in typical dry Willard style---half joking, half honesty).

https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2018/11/14/seton-hall-nebraska-basketball-gavitt-games/2000986002/

The Gavitt games certainly has a different scheduling style than the B1G-ACC challenge. 

26 minutes ago, throwback said:

He didn't have a high percentage, but I really liked that he took 10 shots and looked confident in doing so. He even passed up on a couple more.

With the guys he's playing alongside, Allen is going to get a lot of looks. He needs to be confident in taking them, so last night was a good sign on that front.

That's exactly right.  And he's a good enough shooter that when he's hot we can make some very quick 10-15 point runs against good teams.

Our defense should make that stick.  Even against good or great teams.

Allen goes 4 of 7 or 5 of 9 from 3 and we will win the vast vast majority of games (he will have that happen or similar a couple times this year... when it does it will be similar to what happened when jpj got hot last night -- the lead exploded).

Random thoughts in no particular order.   

1. Brady is going to be very very good one day.  He is already good enough to give me more confidence that we miss Jordy very much, as the lane does not get clogged up at they very least.  

2.  Our defense is sensational right now.  Not only are we making good rotations, we are really creating havoc.  

3.  We are playing very hard. 

4.  The staff did a tremendous job with the rotation.  There have been many times in the past where we struggled.  Not last night.  Our guys are in good shape.  They can play big minutes in games that require them to.  

5.  Palmer has got to get that shot straightened out.  It is not terribly repeatable at this time.  Needs to just do a bit more of a set shot type three pointer.  They have to respect his drive so much that he can still get it off easily.  

6.  Watson shot looks much more fluid than against Wayne St.  The time he is putting in with the new coach is paying off.  And it isn't just because they are going in.  They whole thing looks better.  

7.  We need to beat the living shit out of Creighton.  It is time to treat this damn game like they do.  

After a nights sleep, a few other thoughts:

- I believe we only had 8 turnovers.  This, against a decent defense that put on passive pressure and switched defenses seamlessly.  I am impressed.  We have good ball handlers and we take care of the ball despite playing with good tempo. That makes me very happy.

- The refs still suck after a night of thinking about it.  Some of their calls were simply guesses.  And what was with the one ref who was always high-stepping down the court???

- I guess I am sort of in the minority when I worry about minutes.  Heck yeah, the players are in great shape.  But playing major minutes, especially over the span of a season can and does affect the legs, and shots.  I think if Isaiah is not in foul trouble, Isaac is not on the floor for 39 minutes.  I also believe as the season progresses, Amir will see the floor more than 7 minutes per game.  I think those minutes will be better managed in most of our games moving forward.  But an additional thought.  This season is make-it or break-it for Coach Miles and this staff.  The coaches know it, the players know it, and the fans know it.  Wins are a must.

- Here is a news flash...we have some high flying players.  Who here doesn't believe we will be making more appearances on the ESPN plays of the day?

- And yes, the refs from last night still suck!

Edited by Huskerpapa

I absolutely love the new "fouls drawn" stat. Haven't seen that on the box scores before.  That's as important as rebounding numbers.  Think of the impact that has.  Number 1, you're shooting free throws.  Number 2, you're putting the other guy in foul trouble, which affects how aggressively he can guard you. There's a force multiplier effect.  And JPJ drew more than twice the number of fouls of any other player last night.  That's huge.

The phantom foul

Ref sees Roby trying to set a screen where he is moving the entire time though doesn't call contact

Meanwhile James Palmer is near the baseline waiting for the play to develop and is guarded by #22

image.png

Roby gets the ball from Watson and hands off to a sprinting Palmer who has badly beaten his man from the baseline

image.png

Palmer now has the ball and his defender far enough behind to the point he's taken an angle that will set him up on a collision course with Roby who is still being guarded by his man.

This is exactly the action we want to get Palmer either an open look or going downhill towards the rim.

image.png

Right now a sprinting but late #22 is using his arms to slow his momentum by pushing into Roby.  Roby is flanked by two defenders and is keeping his hands up as to not push into anyone and pick up a foul.

image.png

Ref sees a wide open James Palmer...he sees Isaiah Roby with his body language of looking like someone guilty of setting a moving screen and he still has Roby's movement on the brain from seconds earlier and makes an assumption.

image.png

Thomas Allen shuts down McKnight in the paint. Should have stopped him with a travel but got him to turn it over.

McKnight is guarding Allen but Watson plants him with a fake to Tanner and then whips the ball to a wide open Allen who buries the J.

Nebraska all of a sudden with a 9 point lead and a frenzied crowd.

His fouls were real and really stupid but we weren't the only one with a big guy in foul trouble tonight. Thompson was supposed to be a solid player for them but had a terrible game.

"Taurean Thompson committed four fouls in fives minutes of action while missing three shots with a -10 rating that he will try to forget about."

18 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Thomas Allen shuts down McKnight in the paint. Should have stopped him with a travel but got him to turn it over.

McKnight is guarding Allen but Watson plants him with a fake to Tanner and then whips the ball to a wide open Allen who buries the J.

Nebraska all of a sudden with a 9 point lead and a frenzied crowd.

An under rated part of this play is that we have so many shooters that Tanner is on an island to get the rebound if he misses. Tanner wouldn't be my first choice for a tip in but the point remains. Also Tanner needs to back up he always stands directly under the rim when getting a rebound and it bounces over his head.

I was heartened last night at Amir's second FT, as it hit no iron after his first created his trademark clank. How do you @Norm Peterson assess his stroke and how good it can be going forward. We'll need him to sink some FTs this year, and we'll need him to pose at least a small threat next year from outside two feet.

Edited by jayschool

4 hours ago, royalfan said:

Random thoughts in no particular order.   

1. Brady is going to be very very good one day.  He is already good enough to give me more confidence that we miss Jordy very much, as the lane does not get clogged up at they very least.  

2.  Our defense is sensational right now.  Not only are we making good rotations, we are really creating havoc.  

3.  We are playing very hard. 

4.  The staff did a tremendous job with the rotation.  There have been many times in the past where we struggled.  Not last night.  Our guys are in good shape.  They can play big minutes in games that require them to.  

5.  Palmer has got to get that shot straightened out.  It is not terribly repeatable at this time.  Needs to just do a bit more of a set shot type three pointer.  They have to respect his drive so much that he can still get it off easily.  

6.  Watson shot looks much more fluid than against Wayne St.  The time he is putting in with the new coach is paying off.  And it isn't just because they are going in.  They whole thing looks better.  

7.  We need to beat the living shit out of Creighton.  It is time to treat this damn game like they do.  

Yes!!!

3 hours ago, jayschool said:

I was heartened last night at Amir's second FT, as it hit no iron after his first created his trademark clank. How do you @Norm Peterson assess his stroke and how good it can be going forward. We'll need him to sink some FTs this year, and we'll need him to pose at least a small threat next year from outside two feet.

He needs to get his shoulders open.  In other words, the line from shoulder to shoulder should not be parallel to the free throw stripe, but angled slightly open so the shooting hand is forward.  Some guys can shoot well with their shoulders square to the target (Marcus Perry, for instance) but I don't think it's ideal.  He also flags his left elbow way out to the side, which is something Isaiah Roby used to do as a freshman but worked his way out of.  And then he starts with the ball to the side of his head rather than in line with his dominant eye.

He needs to watch Glynn or Thomas Allen.  They both have pretty decent mechanics.  He also should have someone film himself so that he can see what he looks like.

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

He needs to get his shoulders open.  In other words, the line from shoulder to shoulder should not be parallel to the free throw stripe, but angled slightly open so the shooting hand is forward.  Some guys can shoot well with their shoulders square to the target (Marcus Perry, for instance) but I don't think it's ideal.  He also flags his left elbow way out to the side, which is something Isaiah Roby used to do as a freshman but worked his way out of.  And then he starts with the ball to the side of his head rather than in line with his dominant eye.

He needs to watch Glynn or Thomas Allen.  They both have pretty decent mechanics.  He also should have someone film himself so that he can see what he looks like.

So there's hope? Right now, it looks like he's just so far from decent as a shooter that it might not happen for him. I've never seen him take a jump shot.

Just now, jayschool said:

So there's hope? Right now, it looks like he's just so far from decent as a shooter that it might not happen for him. I've never seen him take a jump shot.

I think there's hope if a guy works on it.  I mean, here's my frame of reference.  Have always said I'm no expert, just a guy with an opinion.  I didn't play college ball but I played a lot of ball in college, if that makes sense.  My shot used to suck (and it does again thanks to age.)  I completely (and I mean completely) overhauled it as a freshman in college ON MY OWN.  Without coaching, without cameras to film myself, etc.  I just knew I didn't like my shot and it needed to get better.

So, I started watching the guys who I thought shot the ball really well and tried to figure out what they were doing differently.  One of the things I did wrong was my right elbow was not in good alignment with my target line.  And my left hand was also not working correctly in concert with my right, so it was almost a two-hand push rather than a shot.  I worked on my wrist-snap, I worked on my follow through.  I worked on getting my right elbow in.  I worked on the feel of the shot starting in your feet and as your knees bend to gather for the jump, the ball starts moving upward fluidly through the shot.  I worked on all of that.

So, say I'm walking into the Rec Center and I'm going to play basketball.  The windows on the doors to the Rec are like you have a full-length mirror, right?  What does my shot look like?  Practice my jumper while seeing my reflection in the window.  Is my elbow in? What does my follow-through look like? Is that what it's supposed to look like?  And I got to the point -- without playing major college basketball and having hours to work on your shot with coaches in practice -- where I was a pretty decent shooter.

So I know it can be done because I DID IT.  I don't want to hear people say mechanics don't matter because manifestly they do.  I don't want to hear people say they can't be changed once you're in college because they can be.  I don't want to hear people say don't fiddle with it because you'll mess it up.  Mess it up any worse than it already is?  For Amir Harris?  I don't think so.

Anyway, in my humble opinion, he can fix it.  He just has to be determined to break his bad habits and do it.

15 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

We also don't need to completely change the offense when we make a switch.

I forgot to add successfully complete 1/3 defensive rotations.  Wasn’t that the meatloaf song?

The whole  thing irritates me more as I watch Borchardt and Heiman play their roles

to perfection.  . Bend over backwards for a kid to help him be successful.....No good deed goes unpunished. 

8 hours ago, TZAHL said:

I forgot to add successfully complete 1/3 defensive rotations.  Wasn’t that the meatloaf song?

The whole  thing irritates me more as I watch Borchardt and Heiman play their roles

to perfection.  . Bend over backwards for a kid to help him be successful.....No good deed goes unpunished. 

Scouting a prospects' parents, guardians, and/or handlers is a must these days.

15 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think there's hope if a guy works on it.  I mean, here's my frame of reference.  Have always said I'm no expert, just a guy with an opinion.  I didn't play college ball but I played a lot of ball in college, if that makes sense.  My shot used to suck (and it does again thanks to age.)  I completely (and I mean completely) overhauled it as a freshman in college ON MY OWN.  Without coaching, without cameras to film myself, etc.  I just knew I didn't like my shot and it needed to get better.

So, I started watching the guys who I thought shot the ball really well and tried to figure out what they were doing differently.  One of the things I did wrong was my right elbow was not in good alignment with my target line.  And my left hand was also not working correctly in concert with my right, so it was almost a two-hand push rather than a shot.  I worked on my wrist-snap, I worked on my follow through.  I worked on getting my right elbow in.  I worked on the feel of the shot starting in your feet and as your knees bend to gather for the jump, the ball starts moving upward fluidly through the shot.  I worked on all of that.

So, say I'm walking into the Rec Center and I'm going to play basketball.  The windows on the doors to the Rec are like you have a full-length mirror, right?  What does my shot look like?  Practice my jumper while seeing my reflection in the window.  Is my elbow in? What does my follow-through look like? Is that what it's supposed to look like?  And I got to the point -- without playing major college basketball and having hours to work on your shot with coaches in practice -- where I was a pretty decent shooter.

So I know it can be done because I DID IT.  I don't want to hear people say mechanics don't matter because manifestly they do.  I don't want to hear people say they can't be changed once you're in college because they can be.  I don't want to hear people say don't fiddle with it because you'll mess it up.  Mess it up any worse than it already is?  For Amir Harris?  I don't think so.

Anyway, in my humble opinion, he can fix it.  He just has to be determined to break his bad habits and do it.

One of the developments of AAU basketball  and the current youth basketball programs is that they play a ton of games with not as much time to practice.

In the practice time, you have to put in an offense, a defense, special plays, inbound plays, presses, press breakers, etc...because you need these strategies to be coherent as a team in a game....

when you had a game a week when I played youth basketball and had 3 or 4 practices for every game, instead of 2 practices to 5 game ratio...coaches could devote a lot more time to skill work and breaking down a shot.

Summers used to be for working on skills, now they have more games in the summer than they have during basketball season.

So kids have to really learn their shot on their own or be lucky and play for a coach that devotes time to building this skill.