uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 11, ed 3 - Seton Hall

uneblinstu

It’s the 3rd game of the year. Is 39 minutes ideal? No but nothing to panic about. 

Ive seen a few comments about our bench. Is it a strength? Probably not but I would easily argue that it is and will be better than last years. 

Pretty happy with the game as a whole. Brady and tanner were excellent in there 20 plus minutes tonight with roby in foul trouble. The fouls might just be something that roby never quite gets under control. Was also happy to see the bench shorten too 8 guys in the second half. Amir kinda had the deer in the head lights look in the first half I thought. Thoughts on no Thor tonight? Matchup problem or something we will see often this year? 

5 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

It’s the 3rd game of the year. Is 39 minutes ideal? No but nothing to panic about. 

Ive seen a few comments about our bench. Is it a strength? Probably not but I would easily argue that it is and will be better than last years. 

Pretty happy with the game as a whole. Brady and tanner were excellent in there 20 plus minutes tonight with roby in foul trouble. The fouls might just be something that roby never quite gets under control. Was also happy to see the bench shorten too 8 guys in the second half. Amir kinda had the deer in the head lights look in the first half I thought. Thoughts on no Thor tonight? Matchup problem or something we will see often this year? 

I might be alone in this but I haven't been impressed with Thor. I thought the guys who saw the floor tonight are our top contributors and should be the core for games like this against better competition.

6 hours ago, jason2486 said:

When it comes to guys playing 35+ minutes, I don't see any real issues. These guys are in the best shape of their lives.  They are guaranteed a TV timeout break every 4 minutes or so. There is little reason that they shouldn't be able to play that many minutes if needed.

Not to mention a 30 minute break after the tech to look at the clock. ?

8 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

no. these guys are trying to make the nba, and nba players regularly play 30+ minutes in 82 game regular season schedule.

and our bench is not the strength of this team.

I think in most games that aren't SW Minnesota, Mississippi Valley and SE Louisiana, you'll see something more like this, assuming there's no foul trouble:

Watson 35

Allen 25

Harris 10

Nana 15

Palmer 35

Cope 35

Roby 30

Tanner 10

Brady 5

As you wrote, players the age of Watson, Palmer and Copeland play at least that much in a much more grueling schedule in the NBA.

12 minutes ago, tcp said:

Morning after and I'm still buzzed from that game. Need more mornings like this one. GBR. 

I tossed and turned trying to memorize the schedule, planning rotations for next year and triumphantly throwing my arms in the air because we beat the No. 8 preseason Big East team.

Oh, and because Crayton is picked to finish ninth in that league.

5 minutes ago, jayschool said:

I tossed and turned trying to memorize the schedule, planning rotations for next year and triumphantly throwing my arms in the air because we beat the No. 8 preseason Big East team.

Oh, and because Crayton is picked to finish ninth in that league.

This is the year that Miles should be able to make that McDermott monkey on his back eat a flamethrower. 

Outside of our Fab Four we got the following:

- 12 pts

- 18 reb

- 1 asst 2 stl 1 blk

- 3 TO 8 PF

Not bad. Were prob gonna want a couple more buckets. But i was pleased with the other players. Tanner and Brady banged around inside and both made a couple nice plays. I feel much better about them being able to combine for 15 min a game if needed. Amir did a nice job rebounding and making some disruptive plays. Tom didnt shoot well overall but made some key shots. Nana was alright, seemed to play solid on the defensive end which is his biggest concern.

2 minutes ago, khoock said:

Nana was alright, seemed to play solid on the defensive end which is his biggest concern.

I suspect for games like this he doesn't get the green light.  If someone in the starting lineup was out I feel confident he could step in offensively. 

One thing that is super encouraging is that Seton Hall is no different than at least a half dozen other middle of the pack Big 10 teams (thinking Minnesota, Iowa, Northwestern, Ohio St, Illinois, Penn St. etc).  We didn't bring our A game, Roby missed most of the game due to questionable "fouls", Palmer missed his first 8 shots, AND, we still beat this team by 23 points.  This bodes well for the grind of Big 10 play.

Was super impressed by Tanner and Brady.  I distinctly remember a box out in the 2nd half where Tanner just pushed Seton Hall's big man completely away from the basket.  That box out was akin to a pancake block in football - it was a thing of beauty.  And Brady was not over matched physically.  He held is own and was solid on the court and most importantly, he wasn't a liability on either end of the court.  Both of these guys will continue to do the dirty work and give quality minutes even if their efforts aren't always reflected in the stat lines.

One big concern I had coming into the year was production off the bench.  I worry a heck of a lot less about that now seeing how downright nasty our defense is.  We have most of the scoring we will need in our big 4 and I think we mainly just need players 5-9 to know their roles, facilitate the offense for our big 4, hit a shot here and there, and play good defense.

On to Misery St!

8 hours ago, TZAHL said:

I thought Tanner and Brady were ok.  I mean they aren’t big name recruits with high upside...  They didn’t miss 5 layups and have 4 turnovers on 10 touches. So I guess there is that.   Addition by subtraction. 

We also don't need to completely change the offense when we make a switch.

19 minutes ago, khoock said:

.... Tom didnt shoot well overall but made some key shots....

He didn't have a high percentage, but I really liked that he took 10 shots and looked confident in doing so. He even passed up on a couple more.

With the guys he's playing alongside, Allen is going to get a lot of looks. He needs to be confident in taking them, so last night was a good sign on that front.

3. On the Gavitt Games and this trip: “When we did our schedule, the only game we didn’t control was this game. I never would have brought this team here -- never in a million years. I don’t know why the Big East sent us out here. I do know they don’t like me (laughs). It’s pretty safe to say I’m never going to another league meeting again.”

(note: that last comment was delivered in typical dry Willard style---half joking, half honesty).

https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2018/11/14/seton-hall-nebraska-basketball-gavitt-games/2000986002/

25 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Their fans seem fairly positive overall.  Basically saying that we were a hard matchup (top 30 senior laden team) and they'll get better.

I'd love that.