uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 11, ed 3 - Seton Hall

uneblinstu

#25 Huskers throttle Seton Hall 80 - 57

Phantom foul and needless clock stoppage awaken the crowd and the Huskers 

DsAQXX0UwAEuhQQ.jpg:large

That game went largely as I expected. This team is pretty good, folks. It’ll be even better when Roby isn’t starting in a production of Phantom of the Opera. 

- Glynn is playing at an incredible level right now. He was unbelievable to start this game. 

- I hope you/we/I appreciate this collection of talent on this team. It's not a perfect team and there are still things to work on but if this is our starting point, we could be in for an amazing year.

- I loved, loved, loved how the team responded after the Phantom call on Roby. That could have buckled lesser teams. I've seen it take the legs out of NU teams in the past.

- This team has a killer instinct. 

- PBA was great tonight, especially in the second half when things got weird.

- Heiman and Borchardt looked fairly effective tonight. Knew where to be, didn't back down. That's all we need from them.

- I'm not sure I've ever seen a dunk by a Husker the likes of what I witnessed from Roby tonight. Goodness, gracious!

- Why did we have a four minute delay to adjust the clock two seconds?

- The officiating tonight was as brutal as I've ever seen. Just obnoxious.

- The 3 point shooting probably won't be great this season, but I think it will be effective. They are so good at getting to the line, especially JPJ and our defense should be really good that they can afford to not be elite from deep.

- Seton Hall had no answer for JPJ tonight. Je just took over the second half. It was a sight to behold.

- I haven't looked at a box score yet, but I thought we rebounded pretty well.

- I'm just so freaking excited about what we saw tonight. The ceiling for the team is super high. I can't wait to see what this team becomes.

View full article

Edited by uneblinstu

Loved our defense tonight - really chased SH off the 3-pt line successfully all night. 

When we can struggle shooting a lot of the game and still put up 80, the offense might be OK. Pair that with the excellent defense we've played and a veteran lineup that has seen it all and this team can play with anyone ... and beat most of them.

Just now, throwback said:

Loved our defense tonight - really chased SH off the 3-pt line successfully all night. 

When we can struggle shooting a lot of the game and still put up 80, the offense might be OK. Pair that with the excellent defense we've played and a veteran lineup that has seen it all and this team can play with anyone ... and beat most of them.

The Big Ten season is going to be entertaining. The league is talented and deep, and Nebraska's right there with the better teams. What fun!

man, i had a lot of "here we go again" thoughts when they hit those 2 tech free throws to close within 2.  I should have known better after last year, but apparently it's going to take more than one year of that to break decades of expectations that we will find a way to lose.  This team...that was so much fun to watch their reaction to crappy calls.  That Palmer 3 after the tech had my kids looking sideways at me for all the yelling I was doing.

Terrific effort.

We have some warts still, but we are doing the things that good teams do.   Beating bad teams badly.   Putting away ok teams.   Overcame some hiccups (ref-related) in the second half that could have caused some major swings and took control.   Long, filthy defense thus far.   Exciting to watch

4 minutes ago, jayschool said:

The last time Nebraska had three senior starters: 2012-2013

Brandon Ubel

Dylan Talley

Andre Almeida

I love nearly every Husker (Looking at you AW3), but you can't compare: 2018-2019

James Palmer

Glynn Watson

Isaac Copeland

It's a new day.

giphy.gif

Don’t short borchardt on this. Fantastic effort and hustle tonight

Here is the deal, offensively we had sort of a bad night.  Goodness, I haven't seen the stats, but we missed a lot of shots.  Despite that, we won by 20+.  So wow.

- It is fun watching this team.  They play with piss and vinegar.  When Lewis got the bench technical, the team simply blew Seton Hall out of the water.

- Looking down the list of players that played, I believe each player contributed, up and down the line.

- I am sorry, but those refs sucked.  I cannot believe some of the calls on Roby and Tanner.  Good grief.

Edited by Huskerpapa

2 minutes ago, big red22 said:

The question is who got screwed more Roby or Borchardt?  I have to say there were tons of bad calls all one sided too, but we didn't buckle and still won by 20+

Two fouls "need" to be looked at by the NCAA.  The 4th foul on Roby and the hustle play by Borchardt

Heiman due to all of the above.  Yet after all that, he stepped up against a solid interior and did passably (which was all we needed).  He could be pretty darn good in a couple years.  LONG way to go and some growing pains yet but for another night anyway he looked good.

Tim Miles is going to get fined based on what he said in the postgame.

Kent and Jake were kind of tiptoeing around asking about that phantom foul on Roby, and Miles answered "Which one?!" (Laughter.)

And it just kind of went from there.  Nobody call the league office.  Burn the tape.  This didn't happen.  Oh, you mean that? Um, that was .... Norm Peterson doing his best Tim Miles impersonation.  Coach didn't really dump on the officials (who really deserved to be dumped on.)

26 minutes ago, throwback said:

yeah, didn't we finish at like 31% not great. yet 80 is not what I expected. this team has some mojo and heart. Love this, LOVE it

Just now, Norm Peterson said:

The answer to the trivia question about who had the best single-season 3-point percentage of any Husker player in the last 15 seasons (including this one) was JR Strowbridge in 2006-07.  He shot 46.3% from beyond the arc as a true freshman on 25 of 54 shooting.

I remember being pretty frustrated when Jay-R transferred, always thought he was pretty good.

4 minutes ago, kleitus said:

eh he can afford the fine.  if it keeps the refs honest when calling those nitpicky (or non existent) fouls on roby for the rest of the year it's worth every penny.

Yeah, he made that comment, too.  Something to the effect that we had one guy with 4 nitpicky fouls all called by the same ref.

Said the T was on Lewis, but he probably deserved one too because he told the ref "I don't _____ believe you."

I thought they pulled to within 4 with those foul shots but on the guys on the radio said ensuing possession when they cut it to 2.  But they said the swing on that call was 9 points because at the time Palmer hits this trey that would have put us up 11?  I'm thinking their math was off somewhere.

Take away Palmer's trey and give them two technical foul shots and the ball out of bounds and that's a 7 point swing, not 9.

Anyway, they talked about that during the post-game and didn't have much good to say about the refs. 

7 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Yeah, he made that comment, too.  Something to the effect that we had one guy with 4 nitpicky fouls all called by the same ref.

Said the T was on Lewis, but he probably deserved one too because he told the ref "I don't _____ believe you."

I thought they pulled to within 4 with those foul shots but on the guys on the radio said ensuing possession when they cut it to 2.  But they said the swing on that call was 9 points because at the time Palmer hits this trey that would have put us up 11?  I'm thinking their math was off somewhere.

Take away Palmer's trey and give them two technical foul shots and the ball out of bounds and that's a 7 point swing, not 9.

Anyway, they talked about that during the post-game and didn't have much good to say about the refs. 

Can't say I blame him.  If that is what the Big East gets each night I feel bad for all but one team in the league.