Is it time to start Brady?

Handy Johnson

36 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Still not time to start Brady but man, he did not look overmatched in his action against a physical Seton Hall tonight.  He is going to give us quality minutes all year and the future is exceptionally bright for him.

Best thing about this is he’s going to be here for a long time. He’s not going to transfer I highly doubt he’ll go pro and he’s already pretty good. My guess is he will clear the low bar of being the best big man in the miles era.

3 hours ago, cjbowbros said:

Best thing about this is he’s going to be here for a long time. He’s not going to transfer I highly doubt he’ll go pro and he’s already pretty good. My guess is he will clear the low bar of being the best big man in the miles era.

The best big man in the miles era is gonna be Copeland IMO so yes if Brady gets to that level boy did we find a diamond in the rough 

Isaac could barely walk when he got here.  He was stiff and did not appear fully recovered from his back issues.  But now, he is starting to show why he earned his star rating.  He has that turn-around mid range shot around the free-throw line.  Whenever that shot goes up, it is money.  He missed one last night, and I was literally shocked.  

14 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Tonight is why this won’t happen, there will be a lot of nights this year when we are in foul trouble. Brady provides good depth off the bench and Allen is a dude and deserves to start at the two. 

Allen needs to work on his 3.  He is going to get so many open looks this year that he needs to find a way to make them at a good clip

6 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

Allen needs to work on his 3.  He is going to get so many open looks this year that he needs to find a way to make them at a good clip

That, literally, would be the sole reason that Tom Allen sees a reduction in minutes. I think he brings a lot of good things to the table, it's consistent 3-point shot making that's under some scrutiny. I hope TA kicks a$$, by the way.

Brady is on an accelerated curve and looks anything but overmatched, the kid's a flat out baller & looks smooth around the hoop. I still have a sneaky suspicion he'll crack the starting 5 as the season moves along, but even if he doesn't he'll be a BIG-time asset and not a liability off the bench.

28 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Brady is on an accelerated curve and looks anything but overmatched, the kid's a flat out baller & looks smooth around the hoop. I still have a sneaky suspicion he'll crack the starting 5 as the season moves along, but even if he doesn't he'll be a BIG-time asset and not a liability off the bench.

I would agree with this first part.  However, I think the only way Brady... or anyone else for that matter... will start is if we have an injury.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

I would agree with this first part.  However, I think the only way Brady... or anyone else for that matter... will start is if we have an injury.

Of course this thread should be called "Should Brady replace Tanner as 1st off the bench" but that's not as exciting.

I think sometimes we make too much of who is starting and who is not...It is really about total minutes given to a player rather than who is starting...(although you have to make sure the egos on the team can handle not starting)...

As an example if you started Borchart and gave him the same minutes he is getting now and Allen continued to get the same minutes but wasn't starting...Does it gain anything for you...it might mean more time for Allen without all the other 4 buys getting starter minutes on the court...which might help the team offensively if Allen is on the court at different times.

For me, our big four plus Allen gives us scoring at all 5 positions on the floor.  That is so, so valuable right now in all games we will play.  Since we don't go 10 deep, we will start with five guys who can all score and then move into a situation where we will still have 2-4 guys on the floor that are offensive threats.  Not to mention that Nana can score as well.

Let’s put an inferior offensive player in the post and try to force feed him the ball in hopes we can get him not to transfer. It won’t hurt our team chemistry and it will only cost us 4-5 games while he tries to figure it out before he quits and rejoins the team.   He would definitely get a couple of double doubles. 

Just spitballin here. Sounds like a great idea....

PS I think Brady is gonna be a great player for us!  Let him and Tanner play to their strengths.  In no way is he ready for more than 10 minutes a game but I like his how he plays and think he’ll be a GOOD ONE. 

the current starters have proven they can win 22 games, so not sure what the upside of inserting brady would be. i don't think brady is ready for starter minutes. he still needs to add some strength and develop some offensive moves. he's exceeded my expectations but there's no way he should be starting.

Edited by TimSmiles

On 11/15/2018 at 11:26 AM, PimpMario said:

One could reasonably argue that Roby getting into foul trouble and having to play fewer minutes because he starts at the 5 is broken.

That argument would hold more weight if so many of his fouls weren't moving screens or silly reach-ins. That's just stuff he has to clean up no matter what position he's playing.

Edited by Jacob Padilla

9 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

That argument would hold more weight if so many of his fouls weren't moving screens or silly reach-ins. That's just stuff he has to clean up no matter what position he's playing.

Yeah, he does pretty well defending the post.  Holds his position, keeps his hands up, can stay in front of his offender (that's a Normism.). Jacob's right: A lot of Roby's fouls are out on the perimeter, not inside. I haven't seen him called for a lot of moving screens, but when he closes out on shooters, get ready for a whistle.

• 3 weeks later...