Is it time to start Brady?

Handy Johnson

I know I'm going off a small sample size here, but I'm intrigued by a frontcourt of Copeland, Heiman & Roby with Palmer and Watson at the guards. With the "Core Four" he doesn't need to be a focal point on the offensive end, nor will he demand the ball. Rebounds and put-backs will be his game, and whatever else he brings is gravy. I like Allen, that's not the issue. I'm just a firm believer in the age old adage, "You can't teach height."

No. Every other player (starter) has cut their teeth in the adult side of the pool. Big guy hasn't yet. 

There's no rush to promote anyone. Let him develop before we start plugging him into places he might not be ready for. 

The jump in competition starting tonight is going to be significant. Let's see how he handles it. 

Edited by tcp

3 minutes ago, tcp said:

No. Every other player (starter) has cut their teeth in the adult side of the pool. Big guy hasn't yet. 

There's no rush to promote anyone. Let him develop before we start plugging him into places he might not be ready for. 

The jump in competition starting tonight is going to be significant. Let's see how he handles it. 

On top of that, this just isn't a good match-up for Brady.  This isn't a team that has just one, decent 6'10" guy.  This is a team that will roll out 6'11", 6'10", 7'2", and they're all as athletic as Brady, but more experienced.  Our little big men have tools that give them an advantage against bigger bigs that Brady doesn't have yet.

I don't think anyone ever doubted his ability to be effective against the Wayne State and SE LA's of the world. He still has never played against any legitimate D-1 big men. He is much farther along then I would have ever imagined at this point but you may have the cart three or four miles in front of the horse. It could go either way at this point. I saw rebounds in all three games that he would have possessed if he was bigger and stronger but was bumped and he couldn't bring them in. It is my fear that will be magnified against higher level competition. I'm just hoping that he can provide any serviceable minutes at all in big games. As I just already just admitted, he has performed at a much higher level then I thought he would at this point and hope that later I have to admit my surprise again by the level of his performance.  His length and athleticism may and I hope allow him to play against the proverbial and literal big guys but he is a big unknown to me at this time.

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

I know I'm going off a small sample size here, but I'm intrigued by a frontcourt of Copeland, Heiman & Roby with Palmer and Watson at the guards. With the "Core Four" he doesn't need to be a focal point on the offensive end, nor will he demand the ball. Rebounds and put-backs will be his game, and whatever else he brings is gravy. I like Allen, that's not the issue. I'm just a firm believer in the age old adage, "You can't teach height."

No it's not time to start someone who's the 3rd or 4th guy off the bench against Southeastern Louisiana. That's the simplest way to put it. Pump the brakes

There isn't a 5 in all of college basketball who can even remotely guard Roby.  That's the mentality we have to have with our starting lineup.  The fact Roby can hang with opposing 5s in the defensive post and then ruin their lives on the other end and in transition is an enormous advantage for us we need to exploit on a nightly basis.  

Having said that, I've seen two games with Brady now, good competition or not.  I don't think he's a redshirt candidate at all.  He's already better than Jordy.  BH looks like he's already up to about 220, and he's a lot more athletic than some want to give him credit for.  He fits very well in TM's offense.  That's the best looking true freshman center we've had since... who?  Someone from the 90s probably?  Venson Hamilton?   

As for sliding anyone down to the 2, I think Tom is playing pretty damned well, and shooting 45% from three so far.  He looks mightily improved on the defensive end as well.  

I'm thinking the lineup shakes out like this by the end of the year:

GWIII - AH

TA - AH

JPJ - AH

Cope - Nana

Roby - BH/Tanner

^^^ AH is really proving his versatility as a defender.  He's a real luxury for us this season.  I think he and TA each get 20min a game this year.  Nana looks great at the 4.  It's shaking out very well.  I personally think BH is a better player than Tanner already, but they both look serviceable.  

54 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I am not yet 100% convinced that Brady is part of the 8 man rotation right now.  Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised; but right now Tanner, Nana and Amir appear to be part of the eight man rotation with Brady and Thor fighting to get into that group.  So start Brady...no.

A/k/a Tanner, Nanner and Ammer.

Or, if you're from Boston, it would be Tannuh, Nanner, and Amee-uh.

35 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

I don’t even like the 3 big men concept for this team. In the last game Miles experimented for awhile with a Roby, Copeland Tanner lineup and it was a disaster IMO. I would much rather continue to go with the small ball lineup and force opponents to adjust to us rather the us adjusting to them. 

Record short post for NUdiehard?

Allen has played darn well this year, but it isn't showing up in the stats a ton?  Why?  He is doing the little things correctly so far.  That is, going away, the biggest thing that he can do for us.  If he can continue to make the occasional three and keep playing the way he is all around, he will be a valuable 5th starter for us.

2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

OK, so this idea maybe didn't go over quite as well as you hoped, but table it for now and bring it back up at New Year's when everyone's drunk and you might get an entirely different reaction.

22 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Allen has played darn well this year, but it isn't showing up in the stats a ton?  Why?  He is doing the little things correctly so far.  That is, going away, the biggest thing that he can do for us.  If he can continue to make the occasional three and keep playing the way he is all around, he will be a valuable 5th starter for us.

I will say TA has some real nice assists so far. Was not expecting that but is great to see.

30 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 3.15.38 PM.png

Small sample size obviously, but his impact has been pretty strong on both ends of the court thus far.  Just having a lethal 3pt shooter roaming around the perimeter makes our starting lineup completely unguardable.  He's a very talented kid who has been somewhat forgotten with the emergence of our other stars, but I actually think he's one of them.  The more minutes he gets, the more he's going to realize he's an equal.  There's a reason KU offered.  

4 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Those are some very powerful drugs you are on.....