Scouting Seton Hall

hhcmatt

The Hall made the NCAA tourney and won a game last year.  They lost 3 contributing seniors from that team along with some transfers.

Quincy McKnight is a transfer in from Sacred Heart where he was a volume scorer.  More of a threat in the paint/drive. Anthony Nelson is the PG of the future and 6'4" freshman will play.

Myles Powell is the star of the team. 6'2" junior SG/Combo guard. Teams' current only reliable outside shooter.

So Myles Cale might be a threat from outside. The 6'6" So hasn't been real aggressive with his shot.

None of the posts shoot 3s well. 6'10" Syracuse trasnfer Taurean Thompson averaged 9pts and a block per game as a freshman.  Fairly foul prone. After Mamukelashvili, Nzei, and Thompson the depth is questionable.

They have a couple of guards and a 7'2" dude who should see some minutes but expect a 7 man rotation.

Stopping this team in transition will be the key as they will probably struggle in the half court. 

Like Nebraska this team will focus on running us off the 3pt line 

I think it comes down to three things that will ultimately win us this game.

1.  Experience- For once, we are the more experienced team and get the added bonus of playing at home.  

2. Defense- Our defense has been fantastic so far.  This is always something that seems like it has been there in the past as well.  However, for once, we also have some offensive firepower to go along with the D.  Honestly think it will be a battle of two teams with strong D.  I think Glynn being keyed in on D will really help us out overall.  Our O will be too much for them to overcome though.

3.  Roby- First game to shine in the real spotlight for our starting 5 man.  I see a lot of SH posters hoping that they get Roby into foul trouble.  On the flip side, I don't think any of their big men can cover Roby.  I think Roby wins the battle on Wednesday.

I go into the game expecting that SH will out rebound us.  I will be presently surprised if that is not the case.  They have size, we have length and quickness.  

If we can simply hold our own on the boards, in particular preventing second chance points, and if we shoot reasonably well, we should be okay.  But playing a good power five team always gives rise to some angst.  

In their first game against Wagner (that's Vah-gner to you and me), they had 2 guys in double figure scoring.

A 6'8", 205 senior forward who scored 11 points on 5 of 6 shooting from 2-point range and grabbed 7 boards,

And Powell, the 6'2" junior, who scored 30 points on 5 of 7 shooting from 3-point range and 10 of 13 shooting overall.

Given what they lost from last year's team, this is an inexperienced bunch and they don't seem to get their scoring from many different spots.

Granted, they beat Vah-gner by 40, but that's with Powell playing 24 minutes and accounting for half of SHU's 3-point attempts and 1/3 of their overall FG attempts.

They for sure haven't seen a team with our length on D.  Powell might be very good, but one guy isn't going to beat us.  The other guys better show more than they did against Vah-gner or it could be a rout.

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

In their first game against Wagner (that's Vah-gner to you and me), they had 2 guys in double figure scoring.

A 6'8", 205 senior forward who scored 11 points on 5 of 6 shooting from 2-point range and grabbed 7 boards,

And Powell, the 6'2" junior, who scored 30 points on 5 of 7 shooting from 3-point range and 10 of 13 shooting overall.

Given what they lost from last year's team, this is an inexperienced bunch and they don't seem to get their scoring from many different spots.

Granted, they beat Vah-gner by 40, but that's with Powell playing 24 minutes and accounting for half of SHU's 3-point attempts and 1/3 of their overall FG attempts.

They for sure haven't seen a team with our length on D.  Powell might be very good, but one guy isn't going to beat us.  The other guys better show more than they did against Vah-gner or it could be a rout.

They are a great team.  A team that definitely will make the tournament.  A team that will make waves throughout the year.   Sooo, when we beat them :)

4 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

They are a great team.  A team that definitely will make the tournament.  A team that will make waves throughout the year.   Sooo, when we beat them :)

They might be the 2017-18 version of us.  Working in a bunch of new parts.  They aren't going to be hitting on all cylinders this early in the season because they're still going to be trying to figure out who's going to be taking which shots where on the floor.  The vast majority of their team hasn't played with each other before.  They'll still be a work in progress on Wednesday night and this will be their 2nd game of the season and first one on the road.  That's not a good recipe for success.

Both teams' fans seem to think their defense will be the difference.  Hey, our defense is pretty darn good, too.  And we can score from a lot of different spots.  So ...

Just now, Norm Peterson said:

They might be the 2017-18 version of us.  Working in a bunch of new parts.  They aren't going to be hitting on all cylinders this early in the season because they're still going to be trying to figure out who's going to be taking which shots where on the floor.  The vast majority of their team hasn't played with each other before.  They'll still be a work in progress on Wednesday night and this will be their 2nd game of the season and first one on the road.  That's not a good recipe for success.

Both teams' fans seem to think their defense will be the difference.  Hey, our defense is pretty darn good, too.  And we can score from a lot of different spots.  So ...

Does a Jinx you owe me a Bud still count if we posted in two different threads?  

14 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I don't think he's playing much unless we have foul trouble or the game is decided

Maybe but either him or Tanner will play at some point right? Obviously these games were not indicative of the exact rotation but Brady has played more minutes than Tanner in both games this year. I don't happen to remember who was the first player to enter the game either time which may be a better indicator.

They certainly check the box in terms of size and athletecism, what little I've been able to watch of them.  Miles pointed out that they they have a size advantage inside, and as we like to make a living driving to the basket, this won't be easy.  They have a 7'2" dude, and you know what Taco Fall did to us last year. 

I think Huskerpapa is right in that it behooves us to shoot well from the perimeter to negate their rebounding to a degree. 

But I also agree with Norm that one guy is not going to beat us as their front court doesn't present much of an offensive threat. 

8 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

Maybe but either him or Tanner will play at some point right? Obviously these games were not indicative of the exact rotation but Brady has played more minutes than Tanner in both games this year. I don't happen to remember who was the first player to enter the game either time which may be a better indicator.

If I remember right from watching most of both games, Tanner was always one of the first off of the bench.  Brady played more, but was in the game at the end of the game for the most part.  I don't remember Tanner being in there at the end.  From what I remember, we finished each game with Amir, Johnny TB, Costello, Brady, and Thor.

With that being said, I think we see Brady a few minutes each half.  Right place at the right time kind of guy who will do the little things.  

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:11 PM, hal9000 said:

They certainly check the box in terms of size and athletecism, what little I've been able to watch of them.  Miles pointed out that they they have a size advantage inside, and as we like to make a living driving to the basket, this won't be easy.  They have a 7'2" dude, and you know what Taco Fall did to us last year. 

I think Huskerpapa is right in that it behooves us to shoot well from the perimeter to negate their rebounding to a degree. 

But I also agree with Norm that one guy is not going to beat us as their front court doesn't present much of an offensive threat. 

Tacko Fall is also 7'6... That is a big difference from 7'2

I don't think it was reported anywhere but Seton Hall played an exhibition where they just did ok and let D-II New Haven make it closer at the end.

https://shupirates.com/news/2018/11/9/mens-basketball-cales-20-points-leads-pirates-past-new-haven.aspx?path=mbball

The big takeaway for me here is Myles Cale taking six 3s (made 4)  The 4 star sophomore is probably the biggest scoring threat besides Myles Powell