uneblinstu’s postgame chatter vol 11, ed 2

uneblinstu

Yeah, I am not going to join the bash on Jordy.  He is what he is and he is not our problem any longer.  I do think we will miss his bulk, but our length should go a long way to offset that bulk. 

As for Brady, yes he is showing more than I expected; but he is still developing.  He likely will have a lot of growing pains that will show when playing against elite talent.

Edited by Huskerpapa

33 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Yeah, I am not going to join the bash on Jordy.  He is what he is and he is not our problem any longer.  I do think we will miss his bulk, but our length should go a long way to offset that bulk. 

As for Brady, yes he is showing more than I expected; but he is still developing.  He likely will have a lot of growing pains that will show when playing against elite talent.

Some of us said we liked his recruiting film. Others questioned whether he was P5 material. I think he's shown he was worthy of the 'ship.

Not sure how this devolved into a raspberry thread for Jordy. He's gone, he's not a Husker anymore and he ain't my problem. 

As far as the team we actually have, I'm pretty pleased with the rotation. It's one of the best ones we've had in decades. Depth is still an issue, but it's not a requirement that this bench win games this year, but only to not lose them. We'll see more when those two or three players that might see the court against stronger competition play. 

I'm still obsessed with focusing on offensive pacing, because slowing the game down due to lack of interest has plagued these guys in the past, and so far, in the two games where you'd think that would happen, it hasn't, and that's just such a good thing for me as a fan. This is a dialed in team, and that's going to be worth a few wins itself before this season is over. 

Cupcake time is over for a bit, and now we're going to get a chance in a couple days to start finding out just exactly what kind of beast we have on our hands for real. I'm hoping it's a big, nasty one with pointy teeth. 

8 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

When a dude quits mid-season, then comes back for a while, it stands to reason that no one ought to have been surprised when he AW-III'd NU mid-summer. That's my beef. It's not based on perceived ability or any notion of Jordy's lack thereof.

I agree and was saying so last spring.  This is why I think it was nothing short of negligent to go after any type of grad transfer big last spring.

Edited by nustudent

12 hours ago, Timforthewin said:

Biggest takeaway for me today was the play of Glynn. And it had nothing to do with the stat line. He was full-go from the tip, completely dictating the pace that it appears we want to play. Constantly up in his man’s grill, flying up for rebounds, and I even caught him on several occasions talking some T to SELA guys. 

Thats the kind of leadership I think we’re going to need from him to get where we want to go. I also think that energy has a big impact as to the little things, such as the amount of deflections and tips we were able to get on the defensive end. I’ve heard rumblings of this but I think today was proof for my eyes... Coach Gates is having a massive impact on this kids swagger and confidence. I love it. 

The play I remember is when he got on the floor and wrestled the ball away from Veal. The ball eventually ends up in the hands of the Huskers....someone bricks the layup and the guy who tips the ball in is.....Watson!?!?!? This was in the second half and the game was put away.

14 hours ago, unl said:

We didn’t do this to bad teams before. That is all. 

This is very true.  Here are the first two games from last year and the first two from this year for comparison.

2018 Schedulehelp.gif

Game Plan | Opponent Tracker

Date Rk Opponent Result     Location Record Conf  
Sat Nov 11 97 257 Eastern Illinois W, 72-68 72   Home 1-0    
Mon Nov 13 102 146 North Texas W, 86-67 73   Home 2-0  

2019 Schedulehelp.gif

Game Plan | Opponent Tracker

Date Rk Opponent Result     Location Record Conf  
Tue Nov 6 38 349 Mississippi Valley St. W, 106-37 78   Home 1-0    
Sun Nov 11 35 288 Southeastern Louisiana W, 87-35 74   Home 2-0  

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

The play I remember is when he got on the floor and wrestled the ball away from Veal. The ball eventually ends up in the hands of the Huskers....someone bricks the layup and the guy who tips the ball in is.....Watson!?!?!? This was in the second half and the game was put away.

And then Watson stumbled getting back up and my heart skipped a beat.  And Miles must have seen his season flash before his eyes because he immediately subbed Glynn out and he was done for the night at that point.  Y'know, we're up 50 and your starting PG is out there making hustle plays and that's great and all … but no need to risk him getting injured, especially when things are getting a bit chippy out there.

Like all teams we will occasionally have bad scoring games.  That's life.

Our defense is nasty.  Outright nasty.  To the point that nobody will want to play us because a root canal would be more pleasant.

I know we've played a pair of nobodies but you can just tell.  They ain't gonna be scared to get after anybody.

and I say that knowing they took Kansas (aka #1) to the last shot last year.  And they know it.

Oh we will lose some games.  But this team has all the hallmarks of one of those teams nobody wants to play because you will get punched in the mouth defensively.

Edited by kleitus

Notes and Quotes from huskers.com

*-Nebraska has won 13 straight home games dating back to December 20, 2017. It is the Huskers’ longest home win streak since moving into Pinnacle Bank Arena. 
*-Nebraska held Southeastern Louisiana to 36 points, the sixth-lowest total by an opponent in school history. NU has held its two opponents to a combined 36.5 ppg
*-First time since at least 2001 that Nebraska has scored 50+ points in consecutive first halves.
*-Nebraska was 16-of-17 inside the 3-point arc in the opening 20 minutes.

*-Nebraska put six players in double figures in the victory.

Nebraska Coach Tim Miles

On what two lopsided victories to start season is teaching him about his team

"What I like about the team is they were able to play with a mentality and show the versatility to defend the right way. I think we've been OK defensively, and we were really good offensively) until we got to 78 points and then we just stopped. I think we've shown that mindset and that consistency and certainly you wanna see that."

On what is impacting defensive performance

"Experience for some of those younger guys. I think that there is the right mindset, commitment and maturity about it. We'll see though. We're going to see higher-quality teams come in. Southeast Louisiana, they were a good team last year, went to the NIT, I think they're dangerous. And I thought our guys did a good job of getting into them and making it difficult."

On importance of starting games off strong and consistent

"Oh no doubt, that's important. You get up by 16 or 17 and you don't have that big run the other team gives you to get it back down to 6 or 7 and at half-time everyone's hysterical. It's nice to skip that part so far, but I don't think there's any more games like that this year that I've seen in what appears to be the next 3-4 weeks."

On differences from past teams and how it's affecting consistency

"Every team is different. We had some really young guys previously that maybe allowed that to happen, but this group is not young. That's the one thing, they are a more experienced group in minutes and experience."

Nebraska Players

On what the team has learned about itself through the first two games

Isaac Copeland Jr.

“We’ve learned how to keep playing hard and kind of having the mentality, no matter what the score is. You always see us still giving effort on both ends. That’s what we’ve learned.”

On if he likes where the team’s defense is at early in the season

Isaiah Roby

“We held both teams to under 40, so that’s really good. Just knowing that we have guys that can guard multiple positions, that’s going to make it really hard for teams to score on us. I like where we’re at right now.”

On if the team is looking forward to playing Seton Hall

Isaac Copeland

“For sure, it’s a high-major team, and last year we lost the matchup against a Big East team (in the Gavitt Games). We want to make sure we come out and make a statement early.”

On Thomas Allen

Isaac Copeland

“He’s getting better everyday and playing with more composure. It’s kind of hard to find your role and get shots right now since we’re winning by so many points. Wednesday will be a big test for us.”

On if Brady Heiman is gaining confidence in his game

Isaiah Roby

“Yeah, for sure. He’s going to have to play for us, and he’s showing every game he’s not just in there as a body, he’s in there to make plays. He’s definitely going to help us out.”

Southeastern Louisiana Head Coach Jay Ladner

On the opportunity to bring his team to take on a quality opponent such as Nebraska

"Nebraska is a really good team. We could play them 100 times, and we're not going to beat them. Going back to last year, I thought it was a crime that they didn't get into the NCAA Tournament. They brought most of that team from last year back this year, so we knew we had a tall order."

On having to play three high major teams in less than a week (LSU, Nebraska and Texas Tech)

"To be honest with you, I like it. I know it's not good for the resume to get beat like we did tonight, but I think we need some humility. Our program has come a long way in the past three or four years. We won our regular season and Southland Conference championship last year. But last year is last year, and I think we have some guys who are still thinking about last year and looking back instead of looking forward to trying and earn their keep. By playing a tough non-conference schedule, that exposes our weaknesses real quick."

On having to gameplan for the talented players up and down the Huskers roster

"Nebraska's got a great team. They're big, talented and look like a team that could make a deep run in the NCAA Tournament. I told [Nebraska] Coach Miles after the game that I hope they do make a run. I wish we could have helped them prepare better for that."

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

That play was a breath of fresh air for Nebrasketball, the #1 team in the country according to Sagarin. GBR

Seton Hall will bring an interesting team to the vault.  Their leading scorer is a 6'2" guard, but I believe they have three 7 footers on their team.  So it will be a different type of team, with more talent, so match ups for them and us will be interesting to watch.  

Fans will be an added bonus for this game...if we show up and are loud.

11 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Most SHU fans are worried about the atmosphere of PBA and having a young team on the road.  We need the crowd to come out in force and we need to punch them in the mouth early.

I don't think they've played in front of more than 2000 people this season