Drake (0-0) vs. Nebraska (0-0) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

Hear, Hear, @kansashusker.  Lets give a little credit to Drake; they're not chopped liver. They've got Players;  one of their best, Sara Rhine, was injured and didn't play against us in last year's (2OT) Win.  You could see their experience and team play.

But We're hardly liverwurst either.  Despite lapses we did manage to tie it up just before the end;  Husker Ladies still  have Heart!   Newcomers were exceptional; All could be starters ( Kudos to Coach Amy and her staff for their recruiting acumen), but also let's not forget the ones that 'Brung ya to the Dance.'  This game will be a good learning experience!

Edited by Red Don

Was at the game and actually thought the Huskers played okay; not great, but okay.  We had one awful stretch that was uncalled for, and seemed to get out-hustled and out-positioned costing us possessions.  All fixable.  Tie that to the fact that Drake is a good team, and a loss is pretty easy to understand.

Tough first game.  But the good news is that with some fairly simply fixes, we should bounce back just fine.

Our starters looked slow and disinterested.  Long story short we got out hustled big time. The defense looked to be nonexistent at times and out position at times. Based off the two games I've seen Miss Haiby and Miss Verbeek would be my starters.

Enough of the negative from me.

On the positive side, we really do have nice pieces.  Time to put the puzzle together. Love the freshmen I think they all brings some nice skill sets and athleticism to the table. Miss Brown may be the most versatile offensive player on the team ( can score inside, outside and i feel she is most effective in the mid range.)

I rewatched the game a couple of times.  We played a good team pretty well with improvements in a couple of our weaker areas from last year like rebounding, free throws and bench points.  A big negative in my mind is turnovers especially unforced ones which was a big contributor in us not getting a quality win.  It was very noticeable that we throw way too many low percentage passes.  Yes we are a young team but way too many are coming from our upperclassmen.  We can get away with that against lesser teams but it is a big factor when playing really good teams.

On a side note it was apparent that Drake had a great game plan to stop Kate Cain as she had 19 points and 14 rebounds in our win at their place last year.

On 11/8/2018 at 12:01 PM, Red Don said:

Hear, Hear, @kansashusker.  Lets give a little credit to Drake; they're not chopped liver. They've got Players;  one of their best, Sara Rhine, was injured and didn't play against us in last year's (2OT) Win.  You could see their experience and team play.

But We're hardly liverwurst either.  Despite lapses we did manage to tie it up just before the end;  Husker Ladies still  have Heart!   Newcomers were exceptional; All could be starters ( Kudos to Coach Amy and her staff for their recruiting acumen), but also let's not forget the ones that 'Brung ya to the Dance.'  This game will be a good learning experience!

All could be starters is interesting.   I sit in 103 and observed player reactions coming out of the game.  Most never looked happy to be taken out and during the 4th quarter Hudson and Haiby appeared disinterested.  Maybe I am reading something that doesn’t exist.

18 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

All could be starters is interesting.   I sit in 103 and observed player reactions coming out of the game.  Most never looked happy to be taken out and during the 4th quarter Hudson and Haiby appeared disinterested.  Maybe I am reading something that doesn’t exist.

Having a lot of competition for playing time is a good situation.  It will work itself out over time.  I have a lot of confidence in our coaching staff in getting the right people in at the right time.  In my thinking you play yourself in and you play your self out of more minutes.  Also we don't get to see any of the practices.

Any way I'm excited except I wish Sunday's game wasn't in the morning.  Will have to watch it later on BTN Plus

• 2 weeks later...