Defense

Huskerpapa

Okay, I am not going to pretend that MVS was a good team.  In fact, in all my years, that may have been one of the top five most inept teams that have set foot on a Husker basketball floor.  And I do not think that is an exaggeration.

That said, I watched our defense last night and was surprised by what I was seeing.  I am also surprised nobody has commented on it to date.  We played several iterations of man, we played a 1-3-1 with Isaiah on top, and then later, with James on top and we played at least two versions of a 3/4 court zone press.  Good grief, we have gone whole seasons without seeing that type of variety.  Our length, athleticism and ability to switch off will provide problems for offenses all year.

We held a bad team to 37 points, but it could have been an even tougher beat down.  We switched defenses seamlessly without changing personnel or affecting our offensive flow.  We may struggle at times on the offensive end this year; slumps and whatnot.  But if we can maintain our defensive discipline (and keep Isaiah and Glynn out of foul trouble) that is going to help make this a very special season.

Good post Papa.   I too was surprised we showed so much zone in this "fake game".  Thought we might wait to show it during the Seton hall game, but we probably figured it was better to practice it and have it on film than to go stealth.    Also gives opponents more to prepare for.  

13 hours ago, HB said:

Good post Papa.   I too was surprised we showed so much zone in this "fake game".  Thought we might wait to show it during the Seton hall game, but we probably figured it was better to practice it and have it on film than to go stealth.    Also gives opponents more to prepare for.  

I'd rather have the rough edges polished by the time we play Seton Hall than surprise them with it and have guys making mistakes. Miles' comments about midrange shots and the use of the 1-3-1 indicate to me that the staff spent a lot of time on analytics in the offseason. The 1-3-1 is likely the most efficient defense with our roster: long guys, little post presence, couple of guards who can get posted up, inexperienced bench.

21 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Okay, I am not going to pretend that MVS was a good team.  In fact, in all my years, that may have been one of the top five most inept teams that have set foot on a Husker basketball floor.  And I do not think that is an exaggeration.

We could have won this game trying out a risky 2-2 zone.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Is that just switching on everyone? 

Not sure:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoeba_defense

But after reading up on it more it may not translate as well to the game today, I remember it really only worked for UNLV because they were so ridiculously long and talented.  But we're pretty long this year and it might be another zone to throw into the mix that could confuse the opposition and help keeps us out of foul trouble.

2 hours ago, 49r said:

Not sure:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoeba_defense

But after reading up on it more it may not translate as well to the game today, I remember it really only worked for UNLV because they were so ridiculously long and talented.  But we're pretty long this year and it might be another zone to throw into the mix that could confuse the opposition and help keeps us out of foul trouble.

Defense packs the lane isn't something that translates as well to today's game.  Gambling defense in Vegas in the 90s makes too much sense though ?

17 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Defense packs the lane isn't something that translates as well to today's game.  Gambling defense in Vegas in the 90s makes too much sense though ?

It helps to have massive guys like Larry Johnson and Elmore Spencer as rim protectors too.  But outside those two, the height/weight composition of our roster isn't a whole lot different than that 1990 UNLV team:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990–91_UNLV_Runnin'_Rebels_basketball_team#Roster

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/roster/_/id/158/sort/height/dir/asc/nebraska-cornhuskers

But man they were an old team.  They had 9 seniors, 4 juniors, one sophomore and no freshmen!!!