uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 1 - Mississippi Valley St.

uneblinstu

20 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Haven't seen anyone else mention this, so I will go on ahead and throw it out there: Did anyone notice Roby after the team returned to the floor at halftime?  Dude was spotted up from 23 feet and raining triples.  Took a little bit to get going because other guys were shooting and the balls were colliding at the hoop and so you couldn't tell if those would have gone in or not.  But as players began leaving the floor to huddle up, Roby kept shooting and was hitting probably 60-65% of the shots he was taking.  The shot looked really good.  Good rhythm and tempo.  Nice form.  Got good elevation.  Most importantly, they were going in, and a lot of the time it was nothing but the bottom of the net.

Sounds good.  Now someone just has to convince him that it's OK for him to take a shot or two during the actual game!

Note:  I didn't see the game.

That said, I'm curious why 9pts, 13bds, and 1blk in 20min in his first ever D1 game = I wish we could redshirt Brady.  

The argument before was that he was too frail, but he didn't look frail to me at all in the highlights.  That's a completely different body than he had in high school.  

I'm also a bit partial because I've basically been a trumpet on this site for BH since he picked NU.  It depended entirely on weight in my mind because he is very skilled and smart.  

So, for those of you who watched extensively, does he weigh enough to be a legitimate contributor yet?  

17 minutes ago, LK1 said:

That said, I'm curious why 9pts, 13bds, and 1blk in 20min in his first ever D1 game = I wish we could redshirt Brady.  

The argument before was that he was too frail, but he didn't look frail to me at all in the highlights.  That's a completely different body than he had in high school.  

I'm also a bit partial because I've basically been a trumpet on this site for BH since he picked NU.  It depended entirely on weight in my mind because he is very skilled and smart.  

So, for those of you who watched extensively, does he weigh enough to be a legitimate contributor yet?  

Because Wesleyan would beat MVSU by 15

13 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I can only provide my perspective.  He is going to be a high level player in five years.  He currently does not have a high Division I body right now.  He has both offensive and defensive skills that translate well to the college game.  It isn't as if he cannot play today, because he is, and he surprised me with his skills.  But if we could have afforded to redshirt him, he may be Ethan Happ like when he is a sophomore thru senior.  Now we lose one of those years.  

Hope that sort of makes sense...I hate to draw this comparison, but it was sort of like Mikki Moore who did not get much playing time as a freshman.  If he could have stayed one additional year, we would have witnessed the skills he exhibited during his NBA years.  

20 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I can only provide my perspective.  He is going to be a high level player in five years.  He currently does not have a high Division I body right now.  He has both offensive and defensive skills that translate well to the college game.  It isn't as if he cannot play today, because he is, and he surprised me with his skills.  But if we could have afforded to redshirt him, he may be Ethan Happ like when he is a sophomore thru senior.  Now we lose one of those years.  

Hope that sort of makes sense...I hate to draw this comparison, but it was sort of like Mikki Moore who did not get much playing time as a freshman.  If he could have stayed one additional year, we would have witnessed the skills he exhibited during his NBA years.  

Yeah the Mikki Moore comparison makes sense.  BH still reminds me of Kaminsky.  Hopefully he'll bloom into a similar player.  He's probably about as good as Kaminsky was as a TFr @ Wisconsin.  

1 minute ago, HB said:

No need to worry about it, because its a given.   There is no doubt teams will do that.  ?

True dat...I think it was mentioned that the concern with Amir is the same as it was when Benny played.  There is a big difference though between Benny and Amir.  Amir appears to be able to take the ball to the hole and finish.  Oftentimes Benny could take it to the hole, but couldn't finish.  Also, given Amir's length, he can see over defenses and find holes.  But...his defenders will be able to play off him and play help defense which will muck up the middle.

51 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Not to mention that 6 of those 13 board were on the offensive end.  We need someone this year who has some size, does the little things, and is in the right place when he needs to be.  Brady was all of those last night.  He'll contribute this year I think.

4 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Not to mention that 6 of those 13 board were on the offensive end.  We need someone this year who has some size, does the little things, and is in the right place when he needs to be.  Brady was all of those last night.  He'll contribute this year I think.

Can’t wait to see him against better competition—things will get harder, of course.

So far, though, we are seeing some of the body control and athleticism that enabled him to high jump 6’8” in high school.

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

I think he left another 8-9 boards on the floor last night because of that lack of strength, court awareness, etc that Miles and Co see with an extra year of development.  

5 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Radio call from last night

The exchange happened around the 2:40 mark

Kent and Jake are discussing Kent's previous comment about teammates from the same HS playing together and then wondered if Jake had a teammate on the team from SE.  (He didn't but Andrew Drevo from Lincoln Christian was on the squad)

Kent: Husker Hoops Central is going to light up here

Jake: ha..they're going to give us the business here

Kent: ..oh yeah "Pavelka and Muhleisen have no idea what they're talking about' lol

Kent: Great website though, I love that site

Jake: Absolutely

Atta baby, @Kent Pavelka !

Much respect.

Watching the game again earlier today.  A few things that I noticed...

1. Roby might be one of the most talented, unselfish players that I have ever seen.  He looks harder to find other guys shots than he does his own.  
  2. Nana will be a factor this year shooting the ball.
  3. If Glynn plays like that, then we are in good hands this year.
  4. Copeland and Palmer were Copeland and Palmer.
  5. We're going to have a starting 5 as good as anyone.  Bench had a good game against a bad team.  Still TBD on bench, but leaning more good than bad.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Haven't seen anyone else mention this, so I will go on ahead and throw it out there: Did anyone notice Roby after the team returned to the floor at halftime?  Dude was spotted up from 23 feet and raining triples.  Took a little bit to get going because other guys were shooting and the balls were colliding at the hoop and so you couldn't tell if those would have gone in or not.  But as players began leaving the floor to huddle up, Roby kept shooting and was hitting probably 60-65% of the shots he was taking.  The shot looked really good.  Good rhythm and tempo.  Nice form.  Got good elevation.  Most importantly, they were going in, and a lot of the time it was nothing but the bottom of the net.

Yeah, I noticed his prowess. He was even dribbling twice behind his back, then spotting up & swishing threes. Easily.

No doubt that Brady needs to do some strength training, and in a perfect world could use a red shirt year.  That said, a few things stood out which are very good signs - he had a put back on an offensive rebound where he kept the ball high and went straight back up. He did the same thing off an assist from Roby - caught it and in one motion went right up to lay it in. One of the besetting problems for Jordy was that he couldn't break the habit of bringing the ball below his waist (I know this was something which drove Norm crazy ?). Brady appears to have some fundamental soundness and basketball savvy which Jordy lacked. He also showed some good footwork on the defensive end.  

Yes, it was against a bad team, but if he can give us some quality minutes down the road this year, he could provide some needed depth and be a factor this year. 

38 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Very likely, will have to put up with it I ‘spose til he can polish that “J” in the off season.

Not just his J, but his free throws were grotesque.    No way you can have this guy in the game the last 3 minutes, he'll get immediately hacked.  There was some funky side spin on those bad boys.