uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 1 - Mississippi Valley St.

uneblinstu

8 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

That's the kind of thing a top 25 team will do to an inferior opponent.

This statement cannot be stressed enough. In years past, we would play down to competition. Let them hang around and then pull away in the 2nd half and win by 25. It’s only one game but I was definitely encouraged by the beat down tonight.

Probably not a whole lot that can be taken away from the game since MVS was so mind-numbingly bad, but it sure is nice to curb stomp an overmatched opponent and get the bench players lots of minutes.  As we all know, Nebrasketball has quite often had trouble beating down obviously inferior teams in the past.

Kudos to Kent for mentioning huskerhoopscentral.com!

I was down on the players as well as miles last year for not redshirting nana and Thor because I thought it was a “wasted year” well if they can average between 10 and 15 ppg off the bench this year then I guess that’s why miles is the coach and I’m the fan. 

Does allen have 5 plus boards in every exhibition/game this year? If so that’s definitely an asset if he can maintain that  

11 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I was down on the players as well as miles last year for not redshirting nana and Thor because I thought it was a “wasted year” well if they can average between 10 and 15 ppg off the bench this year then I guess that’s why miles is the coach and I’m the fan. 

Does allen have 5 plus boards in every exhibition/game this year? If so that’s definitely an asset if he can maintain that  

Most coaches don’t force guys to redshirt. They give them the option and it’s up to the kid to decide 

9 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

No complaints. My section was mostly empty, sparse crowd, the frisbee dogs were better than last year’s, and a student actually won the first national dash for cash. Oh, and D- Wayne is back.  As for the game, we showed up, kicked butt, and on to the next one. 

A kid won the $100 at the Wayne State game as well.  So far 2 for 2.

As far as the dogs, nawww, they were better last year.  Too many drops this year.  

Radio call from last night

1 hour ago, NUtball said:

Kudos to Kent for mentioning huskerhoopscentral.com!

The exchange happened around the 2:40 mark

Kent and Jake are discussing Kent's previous comment about teammates from the same HS playing together and then wondered if Jake had a teammate on the team from SE.  (He didn't but Andrew Drevo from Lincoln Christian was on the squad)

Kent: Husker Hoops Central is going to light up here

Jake: ha..they're going to give us the business here

Kent: ..oh yeah "Pavelka and Muhleisen have no idea what they're talking about' lol

Kent: Great website though, I love that site

Jake: Absolutely

16 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Radio call from last night

The exchange happened around the 2:40 mark

Kent and Jake are discussing Kent's previous comment about teammates from the same HS playing together and then wondered if Jake had a teammate on the team from SE.  (He didn't but Andrew Drevo from Lincoln Christian was on the squad)

Kent: Husker Hoops Central is going to light up here

Jake: ha..they're going to give us the business here

Kent: ..oh yeah "Pavelka and Muhleisen have no idea what they're talking about' lol

Kent: Great website though, I love that site

Jake: Absolutely

So then, who is starting the Pavelka and Muheisen have no idea what they're talking about thread?

More post game talk

Former Husker Marcus Walker was there with a bunch of 5th graders.  Walker transferred to JUCO and then starred for Miles at Coloardo St.

On Nana - Has the ability to get streaky...get going from 3. Very good athlete rebounding the ball. Not the quickest guy but very athletic

On Thor - Moves the ball well but his playing time will be determined on how well he guards the ball. His offensive ability to see and make a play are there.

On who to play together - Liked Thor and Amir, liked Brady and Amir (Amir has the defensive ability to cover for both of those guys)

On Glynn - We wanted him to catch and shoot more instead of dribble first because he shoots better that way.  Miles said they talked about it and Watson implemented it tonight. (noted the very deep shot Glynn took and made)

Could only stay for the first half but I have two thoughts:

MVS ran more offense and seemed better organized than I've seen from SWAC teams in the past they were just really, really bad at basketball. 

Our zone really features long bodies that can cause problems. That said I worry about Roby at the point picking up a silly foul here and there. 

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

More post game talk

On Glynn - We wanted him to catch and shoot more instead of dribble first because he shoots better that way.  Miles said they talked about it and Watson implemented it tonight. (noted the very deep shot Glynn took and made)

Glynn also seemed to have more arc on his shot last night.   Very encouraging; hope it continues.   The flat shot in past years did not seem optimal.   

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

NaNa I see potential.   Fine with no RS on Thor.   Don't think he is ever anything more than a warm body.  RS only ties up that scholarship another year

I think Thor can be more than a warm body. Its hard to judge bc of the opponent, but I heard his name mentioned ALOT on the radio broadcast. Seemed to always be around the ball on defense and knew his role on offense.

I was pleased with all four of our new rotation players.

1 hour ago, Tallbaby21 said:

Could only stay for the first half but I have two thoughts:

MVS ran more offense and seemed better organized than I've seen from SWAC teams in the past they were just really, really bad at basketball. 

Our zone really features long bodies that can cause problems. That said I worry about Roby at the point picking up a silly foul here and there. 

I am concerned that Roby had 3 fouls in only 16 minutes.  He has to stop the silly fouls.

Quick take on seeing these guys for the first time in person:

Harris has some serious handles, never forced the issue, especially while playing with the starters, picked his spots late in the game. The kids impressive.

Brady is more than just "Tall". You can see the kids a player, and has skills for any height. Ideally should have RS'd but he'll be a HUGE asset.

Haven't seen anyone else mention this, so I will go on ahead and throw it out there: Did anyone notice Roby after the team returned to the floor at halftime?  Dude was spotted up from 23 feet and raining triples.  Took a little bit to get going because other guys were shooting and the balls were colliding at the hoop and so you couldn't tell if those would have gone in or not.  But as players began leaving the floor to huddle up, Roby kept shooting and was hitting probably 60-65% of the shots he was taking.  The shot looked really good.  Good rhythm and tempo.  Nice form.  Got good elevation.  Most importantly, they were going in, and a lot of the time it was nothing but the bottom of the net.

7 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Quick take on seeing these guys for the first time in person:

Harris has some serious handles, never forced the issue, especially while playing with the starters, picked his spots late in the game. The kids impressive.

Brady is more than just "Tall". You can see the kids a player, and has skills for any height. Ideally should have RS'd but he'll be a HUGE asset.

I worry that teams will sag off Harris when he has the ball in the forecourt because his jump shot poses little threat.