There's Always This Year

HuskerFever

As the eve of the Nebrasketball season is coming to a close and the season is about to begin, it gets me thinking. Why not us? Why not this year?

Our starters can hang with anyone in the Big Ten, we have a reasonable schedule to work with, and we've got an eager fan base that is ready for that long awaited NCAA tournament win.

Last season was a fun one to watch, no matter the final outcome. This season is set up to be something special. Next season? Forget "There's always next year." Let's make this the season we will all be talking about for years to come!

19 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

As the eve of the Nebrasketball season is coming to a close and the season is about to begin, it gets me thinking. Why not us? Why not this year?

Our starters can hang with anyone in the Big Ten, we have a reasonable schedule to work with, and we've got an eager fan base that is ready for that long awaited NCAA tournament win.

Last season was a fun one to watch, no matter the final outcome. This season is set up to be something special. Next season? Forget "There's always next year." Let's make this the season we will all be talking about for years to come!

I am hopeful. I think this team has a mission. It's going to be fun to see this team learn & grow early on as far as rotations & leadership among various lineups within each half of a ballgame.

I believe a couple of young guns will play a big role in getting NU some three-point shooting acumen. It's the rebounding that has a few concerns but nothing that can't be shored up as the season rolls along.

I say, it's time to get it on! Go big or go home!! GBR!!!

Edited by AuroranHusker

7 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

holding a lead when our bench comes in.

The way Miles makes it sound, this wont really be a huge issue. Sometime earlier in the preseason I believe he said three out of our big four will be on the court at all times. So it wont be like a mass substitution of bench players, unless its a blowout.

Listened to a little bit of the Nebraska Basketball Show last night.  Greg had Michael Lewis on as his in-studio guest.  I wish I could have listened to the whole thing, but one part stood out to me:

The coaches have a lot of confidence in Tanner Borchardt.  He put in a hell of a lot of work to transform his body, and that work has produced dividends. Coach Lewis says he can play at this level.

My fears about front-court depth abated somewhat after that.

I'm still worried about our perimeter shooting, though.

Last year, for the most part, we had veterans coming off the bench, this year, we have youngsters, with the exception of Tanner.  But I believe the depth will continue to improve as the year progresses.  So we should be better than okay.

Some people lament about our shooting percentage.  For whatever reason, I believe our shooting will be good.  But what does concern me a bit, is whether or not there will be enough shots to go around.  If we do not spread the shot selection, will egos get into the way of having a cohesive team.  

All in all, I think hype will turn to success.

1 minute ago, basketballjones said:

It better be this year, because next year could be..... bad... to say the least. 

I don't think next year will be as bad as you think. If Roby stays, Thomas, Nana, and Amir get comfortable, then add Jervay and Daichon into that mix?? We get a somewhat decent big man recruit or grad transfer and we are in business.

2 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

It better be this year, because next year could be..... bad... to say the least. 

Could be bad. Could also be very good.  Remember year #2 of Miles when we introduced a bunch of newcomers to the roster and they coalesced into an NCAA tourney team?  

I like what I saw of Dachon Burke; I like what I've heard about Jervay Green.  I think Amir Harris is going to be a defensive stopper who can distribute on offense and get to the rim.  Thomas Allen is taller than Glynn Watson (so all the gnashing of teeth about his size is a bit overplayed, in my opinion) and he could easily be that dead-eye shooter you want to have.  Our backcourt should be pretty good.

If we happen to get Roby back for his senior year and can find a grad-transfer PF in the mold of Copeland, we could yet be in business next year.

Granted, some things will have to fall into place in the front court, and it might take 10 games before the players figure each other out (just like last season), but it might not be as big a dropoff as one might fear.

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

Last year, for the most part, we had veterans coming off the bench, this year, we have youngsters, with the exception of Tanner.  But I believe the depth will continue to improve as the year progresses.  So we should be better than okay.

Some people lament about our shooting percentage.  For whatever reason, I believe our shooting will be good.  But what does concern me a bit, is whether or not there will be enough shots to go around.  If we do not spread the shot selection, will egos get into the way of having a cohesive team.  

All in all, I think hype will turn to success. 

But we have more experience in the starting lineup this year compared to last.   We traded an experienced bench for experienced first 5.   That's a net positive IMO.

Starters have lots of experience playing together.  What we need is for the bench subs to mold into good role players.  The defense can't drop off and then they have to perform well enough on offense so that they have to be guarded.  I expect to see lots of different rotations to find out the strong team and the team that doesn't work as well.

40 minutes ago, khoock said:

I just dont want any slow starts in these gimme games. Blow em out and have the starters out resting five minutes into the second half. Theyre gonna need all the rest they can get it looks like

Kenpom factors in scoring margin, right? And Kenpom is among various ratings utilized to determine who gets bids?

If those statements are both true, then, yeah, we need to blitz the opponents we should be able to blitz.

Covering the spreads like we did last year would be a good start, especially since we're going to be favored more than we were a year ago.

My feeling is this:  Palmer and the boys are going to settle in. Might take a game or two.  (Since we've had an exhibition, this would be game #2 for purposes of this discussion.)  But when they settle in, the shots are going to come around.  That was my big concern about this year.  Four for 23 from deep in the scrimmage (or whatever the numbers were) won't get us anywhere near the dance.  But once the guys settle back into a routine, the shots are going to start dropping again.

Besides, I'd rather have Palmer finish this year shooting the way he started last year.  So if he has to start this year the way he finished it last year, I'm good with that.  So long as he's mid-30s during conference play.  Until then, he can make a living at the rim and the freethrow line.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Kenpom factors in scoring margin, right? And Kenpom is among various ratings utilized to determine who gets bids?

If those statements are both true, then, yeah, we need to blitz the opponents we should be able to blitz.

Covering the spreads like we did last year would be a good start, especially since we're going to be favored more than we were a year ago.

I'm not certain about Ken Pom's metric on point spreads, but the new "NCAA Evaluation Tool" (NET) caps out at a 10-point margin. This just seems silly to me since a 1-point game in the final minutes can turn to 10, and vice versa. But their explanation is that they don't want teams beating up on opponents just to satisfy a metric.

On 11/6/2018 at 9:17 AM, noahjb24 said:

I don't think next year will be as bad as you think. If Roby stays, Thomas, Nana, and Amir get comfortable, then add Jervay and Daichon into that mix?? We get a somewhat decent big man recruit or grad transfer and we are in business.

If we have a great year this year, I see zero way Roby stays with the hype he’s getting. No Palmer, Roby, Watson, or (the most important imo) Copeland... scary. 

I’m definitely on board with those that think our backcourt has fantastic potential, but most of it is unseen at this level at this point. 

That being said, I’m not concerned at all and really won’t care if we have a great year this year.