Pavelka makes the front page

jimmykc

Here you go, Jummy!  It looks like Two Articles; one in the paper and another available on the web only!

(You're Right!  It's really extensive with lots of Stories and Quotes!  :nod::thumbsup:)

Kent Pavelka on the mic: Husker basketball play-by-play man nearing his 1,000th game

NU MBB vs. Wayne State, 11/01

With those words, Pavelka began his 32nd year broadcasting Nebraska basketball, a season in which he will reach a significant milestone, calling his 1,000th Husker game.

Jerry Fort was the Huskers' star player from 1973 to 1976, when Pavelka began calling games. Pavelka, who succeeded the legendary Bremser, became the voice of Husker football for a generation as well, calling '90s national championship football games before being what he called “banished” in 1996.

A decade later, he got the call to return to the Husker hoops mic, where he has remained through good years and bad — and with Nebraska basketball, there’s been plenty of the latter.

During our hourlong conversation, Pavelka referred to Nebraska’s 2014 win over Wisconsin at Pinnacle Bank Arena in the “no-sit” game as the best atmosphere he’s experienced at a game.

Wolgamott: Maybe they’ll win an NCAA Tournament game before we’re gone. You want to call an NCAA Tournament win?

Pavelka: “I’ve said this to myself a million times, and I’ve said it out loud a couple times. I might just hang it up then and there. They’re going to go from the Sweet 16 to the Elite Eight and I’m done. My last football game was a national championship. This is the last piece of the puzzle for me. How foolish that is because I don’t even play. But it speaks to investment, the emotional investment.”

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/kent-pavelka-on-the-mic-husker-basketball-play-by-play/article_eee6d722-7657-5f42-9f43-78faf4676a50.html

(Available on the web only)

Full transcript: A Conversation with Kent Pavelka

•  

"I want to tell you, working with Matt was just a highlight of my career. I loved working with him. He’s so funny. I just thought we worked well together. I’ll miss him."

The thing I always appreciated about Matt is even with the ties to the program, he was pretty brutally honest ...

You’ve done a few games with Jake over the years. You’re going to have to get him worked in here over the next couple months.

"He’s getting better, he’s starting to relax with it. I don’t think it would be easy to work with me. In basketball, as an analyst, it’s not an easy job...……….. he can really add some enlightening things about the game that I need to shut up and let him do. I think he might be potentially, a better analyst than Matt in terms of the x’s and o’s of the game. Which is fascinating to me. The challenge there is to be able to do that and say that in terms the average guy understands. I love talking basketball with him. If I let him talk, he’s got a lot to add."

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/full-transcript-a-conversation-with-kent-pavelka/article_5d98cd40-c05d-57ee-a0ca-b91ac19aacba.html

Edited by Red Don

Decent interview and it was great for Kent.  Yet, I would have asked some different questions: 

What was the most difficult name you have had to pronounce during your career?

Do you have a favorite team over these 32 years?

Do you have a favorite player...you mentioned Jerry Fort (who I remember vividly) but is he your favorite player?

How do you compare/contrast Coach Miles to the other coaches?

Do you have a memory of your most difficult and your favorite call?

Did you encounter a situation or a venue that turned your stomach?

Why were you ousted in the 90's...WHY?

Man, I have more questions, but perhaps others will chime in as well.  

Kent, thank you for being our rock, and great luck to both you and the team this year, and for years to come.  And oh by the way, calling a winning game in the NCAA tournament may be worthy of a mic drop and a walk-off, but please don't do it.

3 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Decent interview and it was great for Kent.  Yet, I would have asked some different questions: 

What was the most difficult name you have had to pronounce during your career?

Do you have a favorite team over these 32 years?

Do you have a favorite player...you mentioned Jerry Fort (who I remember vividly) but is he your favorite player?

How do you compare/contrast Coach Miles to the other coaches?

Do you have a memory of your most difficult and your favorite call?

Did you encounter a situation or a venue that turned your stomach?

Why were you ousted in the 90's...WHY?

Man, I have more questions, but perhaps others will chime in as well.  

Kent, thank you for being our rock, and great luck to both you and the team this year, and for years to come.  And oh by the way, calling a winning game in the NCAA tournament may be worthy of a mic drop and a walk-off, but please don't do it.

I'll take stab at a "situation or venue that turned your stomach".   I know that Kent had a very bad experience with Bob Knight in Bloomington many years ago.   Knight was a complete Jackwagon to Kent when Kent was just trying to do his job in advance of the game.   Showed a completely a-holish side and went out of his way to disrespect and demean a guy who was just trying to introduce himself.  I heard the specifics long ago but can't recall the exact exchange.   I don't know if that ever got patched up.   

7 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Huge article on Kent in the LJS this morning. He is approaching his 1000th basketball broadcast and easing his way into "legendary" status. Well deserved,Mr. P. (I'll defer making the link to someone who actually knows how to do it)

@Kent Pavelka has already been a 'legend' in the state of Nebraska for quite a while for play-by-play of both the gridiron & hardwood action. He's even recently received the honor of having his face on the Barroom floor in Omaha. But, one-thousand is a real B1G number for hoops! One wonders how many football games it would add up to at KFAB et al....

11 hours ago, HB said:

I'll take stab at a "situation or venue that turned your stomach".   I know that Kent had a very bad experience with Bob Knight in Bloomington many years ago.   Knight was a complete Jackwagon to Kent when Kent was just trying to do his job in advance of the game.   Showed a completely a-holish side and went out of his way to disrespect and demean a guy who was just trying to introduce himself.  I heard the specifics long ago but can't recall the exact exchange.   I don't know if that ever got patched up.   

No way, Bob Knight an A-hole

1 hour ago, rwmctrofholz said:

Favorite personal Pavelka moment:     Observing him at the concession stand on the floor level before a game condescendingly shaking his head at the person in line in front of him......Deverell Biggs, in uniform, buying a Snickers.  

I'm currently imagining the Snickers commercial and after DB eats the Snickers you hear Kent say "you're not you when you're hungry" and Biggs turns into Dylan Talley.

• 9 months later...
5 minutes ago, Mr. Red said:

Kent is making the front page of twitter now!  (also The front page of section L1 in the OWH a few months ago for a nice piece on his gardening hobby)

Here's the interesting part....... it's his fourth tattoo

When do we get to see the rest? @Kent Pavelka

I will vote in the, "it depends where they are" category with this one.

Kent also mentioned in that article, after the Huskers win “A” Tournament game he’s gonna hang up the mic. Say it ain’t so Joe, you’ve gotta stick around until we make that DEEP run or become a B1G bully! I’m sure he was talking rhetorically but, I hope we get to appreciate this HOFer for years to come...

10 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Kent also mentioned in that article, after the Huskers win “A” Tournament game he’s gonna hang up the mic. Say it ain’t so Joe, you’ve gotta stick around until we make that DEEP run or become a B1G bully! I’m sure he was talking rhetorically but, I hope we get to appreciate this HOFer for years to come...

Well, I'd love for the prospects of that deep run asap. Let's hope for greatness, sooner than later.