uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed prologue

uneblinstu

On the pre-game Miles said he was going to play everyone early and often and on the post game he was rolling guys out there and not running sets to see how they'd look.

He's never trying to kill anyone in these types of games so this seemed about right.  I'll believe we're going to shoot a bunch more 3s this year when I see it.

Post game quotes

Nebraska Coach Tim Miles

On Game Takeaways

We are who we are, we know this. It was good to play everybody and it was good to get a win. I think that that's really important. I think we need more physicality, rebound the ball, better flow and rhythm on offense. We ran a lot of motion, and I'm not sure that that was that effective. We didn't run that many sets or plays. We did a little bit to start the second half, and I thought we were okay, I think we were at 54 percent the first 6 or 7 minutes, maybe 8 minutes. Coach Kaminsky does a very good job at Wayne State. I like him, he's building that thing little by little. But for us (to be successful), we need to shoot the three, stop the three and we need to rebound, and if we can do those things we'll be good. And tonight I don't think we rebounded all that well in terms of the physicality of eliminating our opponent. And I know we didn't shoot well.

On shooting percentage concerns

Yeah, you can't sit there and look at 4 in 26 and say we're fine. Isaac Copeland shot really well, did not shoot well. We didn't do much for them, but at the same time I think we will shoot better. We're not like a 40 percent 3-point shooting team, but we need to be mid-30s. 

On James Palmer Jr. and rotation

“I’ve got to get (James Palmer Jr.) going a little bit. But, you know James, we played him with some point. We played some lineups that we don’t get to practice very much. We played (Isaac Copeland Jr.) at the three with Brady Heiman and Tanner Borchardt. I wanted (Isaiah Roby) out there too. Not all four of them at the same time, but I wanted three of them on the board at the same time a couple different times. So, we don’t get to practice that, that much, but those are going to be lineups we’re going to have to, in some form, like Tanner and the other two, or Brady and the other two, to kind of protect Brady a little bit. Getting back to Palmer, one, we have to figure out where we’re putting him and we’ll integrate him more often as we run plays and sets. Tonight was strictly motion, so sometimes it feels like he gets caught in the corner and just hanging around and he gets the ball later in the possession, and he’s trying to make a play. We’ll get James going and James will get himself going too.”

Wayne State Coach Jeff Kaminsky

Opening Statement

“I just want to say I appreciate the opportunity we had to be here tonight. It was a great honor for our team, our program and our fans. I really want to thank Coach Miles for allowing us to play here tonight. It’s not a guaranteed game to get, so we certainly feel fortunate to have the opportunity.”

On his team’s struggles

“You’d be surprised by me saying that we actually have a pretty good shooting team. That was not the case tonight. That had a lot to do with Nebraska in terms of their length and athleticism. We didn’t make shots when we had opportunities. I do think we mucked the game up the way we wanted to. We tried to game the lane a lot on them. We didn’t do a good enough job in the first half of keeping them off the glass, which helped extend their lead. In these situations you just have to play nearly perfect and they had to be a little more off than they were. I like our team. I think we’re going to have a really good year. I’m just a little bit disappointed we didn’t execute a little bit better offensively, and didn’t do a better job of blocking out in the first half.”

On his team’s opportunity to play Nebraska in Pinnacle Bank Arena

“We’ve had some other scrimmages. So we haven’t really geared up for this until Tuesday, to be honest. We had a scrimmage on Monday. Certainly playing Nebraska is about as good as it gets for our local guys. When it comes to Nebraska and Creighton, those games are about as good as it can get for a kid that grew up in Nebraska. Maybe their dream was of playing here and not to do that, to have a chance to play against them in this arena is special. We have 13 guys on our roster and 10 of them are either from Nebraska or Iowa so we do have a lot of local contingency. Obviously, we have four freshmen, three from Nebraska and one from Glenwood, so basically we count that as Nebraska. It was a really good opportunity, a fun opportunity for them.”

On what he saw from Nebraska

“Their first group in particular is so mobile and those guys are almost just interchangeable. So they can do a lot of stuff that we want to do defensively. They can switch a lot, which is important to the way the game is played today with so much ball screen action and it's just hard to defend. Just their athleticism, their ability to interchange makes them good on both ends. It was hard for us to generate offense on screens and slips because if they switched on us it didn’t really matter. I think that’s going to be a really big advantage for those guys, I really like how they’re able to do that.”

With only 10 schollie players available, ya gotta think we will be seeing a lot of everyone this season.

I think we go 9 deep. Itll whittle down to 8 if Brady develops over the season and can hold his own defensively. Until then i think Miles just throws Tanner or Brady out there hoping to get 15 min of solid post play between the two. Thor will play more than he did last year but will not be an every game type guy. Everything else seems figured out at this point.

2 hours ago, khoock said:

With only 10 schollie players available, ya gotta think we will be seeing a lot of everyone this season.

I think we go 9 deep. Itll whittle down to 8 if Brady develops over the season and can hold his own defensively. Until then i think Miles just throws Tanner or Brady out there hoping to get 15 min of solid post play between the two. Thor will play more than he did last year but will not be an every game type guy. Everything else seems figured out at this point.

I expect Tanner to play more than Brady this season simply due to experience and role.  

I was pretty encouraged, despite some of the previously mentioned issues. Roby didn't foul, Glynn was efficient, Thomas rebounded well and while Amir had 3 fouls, he also drew 3. Flow wasn't good, but like other said, the playing rotation was kind of frenetic.

Shooting not an issue, better to have bad nights in exhibitions than in real games. 

So we went 4-26 from 3. Did some quick math... our returning players shot 33.2% from 3 last season. If you assume that 3-pointers are binomially distributed (not perfectly true but probably close), the probability of making 4 3-pointers or fewer on 26 attempts is only 3.7%. Shows how poor of a shooting performance that was.

But wait, there's more. We went 3-25 in the scrimmage, right? Tack that on and you're at 7-51. The probability of making 7 or fewer 3's on 51 attempts is only 0.1%!

What did we shoot versus Iowa State? I could add that it in. I don't recall those numbers.

4 minutes ago, Section_316 said:

Was just coming here to ask this. I wasnt able to attend so my biggest question was: How did Amir, Nana, and Tanner look? 

IMO:

Tanner is slimmer and more agile.  Did well on the boards, but didn't take many shots.

Amir has his moments.  Had one really good drive the hoop.  Seemed timid to shoot.  Assuming some freshman jitters.

Nana started slow, but did relatively well in the second half.