uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed prologue

uneblinstu

Under Nee, oftentimes you would see Pike bring the ball up the court.  Last night, you saw that with both Roby and Copeland handling the point and initiating the offense.  

It does seem like a lot of people are worried about a lot of things.  I guess that is okay, but worry shouldn't turn to panic for at least another week or two.  

14 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Is this seriously volume 11 of uneblinstu's post-game chatter?  Have we really been doing this more than a decade?

Wow, where does time go?  But then 11 seasons ago we were in the midst of Doc's tenure, which doesn't seem all that long ago to me.

If my math is correct -- and usually it isn't -- we must be coming up on the 10th anniversary of the post-game chatter.  We should throw some kind of party.  Reunion.  Invite Ryan Anderson and Ade Dagunduro to join us.

Speaking of that year started thinking about the Texas Tech Pat Knight ejection. A Big 12 road win for Doc. Cookie Miller dropped 19...so let’s take a quick trip down memory lane in 2009: 

On 11/2/2018 at 10:10 AM, nustudent said:

-Heimann is far better than I expected at this point.   He's still weak and will get snapped in half in the Big 10 but there is some potential here IMO

You are real tough on a kid who’s done nothing but make strides since he signed but hey atleast now your atleast acknowledging he has potential 

11 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

You are real tough on a kid who’s done nothing but make strides since he signed but hey atleast now your atleast acknowledging he has potential 

I am not sure he is being tough versus realistic.  

Early on, many of us, including Brady himself, was thinking redshirt in order to build his body and his skills.  Jordy's departure though, threw a wrench into that plan.  Brady put some muscle and mass on, but is likely 25 to 35 lbs. below his ideal playing weight.  We also did not really know what to expect from him both offensively or defensively.  Think about it, he came from a high school that wasn't even Class A and will be competing against the elite of the elite.  

So many believed (and I am one of them) that Brady did provide a surprise during the exhibition game.  But Wayne State is no where close to Michigan State or Purdue.  So Brady is being forced into a situation similar to what Ubel went through as a freshman.  Brady will learn, but it may include some tough lessons.  

17 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

The issue with Brady not redshirting isn't that he won't contribute this year(triple negative!); it's that in 2022 we will most likely be wondering what would happen if Brady had one more year

And Miles certainly can't be thinking about 2022 in a year where he's apparently on the hot seat.

He's got to make this year's team as good as it can be.

Hopefully he isn't sacrificing the future of the program for this year's success.

1 minute ago, atskooc said:

And Miles certainly can't be thinking about 2022 in a year where he's apparently on the hot seat.

Hopefully he isn't sacrificing the future of the program for this year's success.

Brady has shown he can play and we're shorthanded; This is the right choice for this team even if he has a 10 year contract.

26 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Brady has shown he can play and we're shorthanded; This is the right choice for this team even if he has a 10 year contract.

‘And right for next year, he will have to be ready. Just getting him some minutes in the B10 will be more beneficial than a RS in my opinion. Unless something changes he has to be ready to play a lot next year.

1 hour ago, atskooc said:

This is one way in which the way the ADs have handled Miles' contract has hamstrung the program.  He's been coaching for his job for a couple of years now and probably would have been terminated two years ago if Eichorst had the political capital at the time to pull it off.  He hasn't been able to coach for the long term.  He hasn't been able to take chances on project recruits who might need a couple of years to develop, or allow a kid to redshirt who would benefit from the time to develop.  His lack of job security (exemplified by non-extensions or 1-year extensions) has meant he's had to "sacrific[e] the future of the program for this year's success."  And, eventually, that process of robbing Peter to pay Paul is going to catch up when the future inevitably arrives.

6 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

The issue with Brady not redshirting isn't that he won't contribute this year(triple negative!); it's that in 2022 we will most likely be wondering what would happen if Brady had one more year

I agree...you trade a freshman year for a fifth year senior year.

I do hope the NCAA adds a redshirt  rule like football and allow 12 games played in a year and still allow a kid to redshirt...