uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed prologue

uneblinstu

30 minutes ago, Section_316 said:

Was just coming here to ask this. I wasnt able to attend so my biggest question was: How did Amir, Nana, and Tanner look? 

I will disagree with BJoe for one reason.  All of our starting 5 will be contributors.  All of our starting five will be playmakers.  The only thing we’ll need off the bench are role players.  Because we won’t need a ton of scoring off the bench, all four of our guys have a role.  With that...

Nana- is going to knock down some threes this year.  Also had a nice backdoor cut.  Has the chance to be a 3-5 PPG player.  However he could go off for 10+ on any given night.  Much improved.

Amir- is going to play an ET role on this team.  Think more ET in terms of the little things however.  He can rebound and is lengthy which helps on D.  Had a nice offensive board and got some tipped passes on D.  Won’t score a lot this year, but will score on the occasional drive.

Tanner- right place at the right time kind of guy.  Quicker.  Won’t score a ton, but can bang, collect boards, and he WILL FINISH when he needs to.

Brady- Most surprised here.  There’s a role for him on this team.  Isn’t going to be an all-star this year, but I think he can be servicible on the boards and he finished some nice putbacks.  

Overall, we don’t have a ton of offensive fire power coming off the bench.  What we do have are a bunch of role guys who a. Always seem to do the right thing and b. A bunch of guys who will help collectively contribute 10 points and 10-15 boards a game.

Is this seriously volume 11 of uneblinstu's post-game chatter?  Have we really been doing this more than a decade?

Wow, where does time go?  But then 11 seasons ago we were in the midst of Doc's tenure, which doesn't seem all that long ago to me.

If my math is correct -- and usually it isn't -- we must be coming up on the 10th anniversary of the post-game chatter.  We should throw some kind of party.  Reunion.  Invite Ryan Anderson and Ade Dagunduro to join us.

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

Is this seriously volume 11 of uneblinstu's post-game chatter?  Have we really been doing this more than a decade?

Wow, where does time go?  But then 11 seasons ago we were in the midst of Doc's tenure, which doesn't seem all that long ago to me.

If my math is correct -- and usually it isn't -- we must be coming up on the 10th anniversary of the post-game chatter.  We should throw some kind of party.  Reunion.  Invite Ryan Anderson and Ade Dagunduro to join us.

I did some research, last year or maybe the year before, and that's what the info said. I was surprised it'd been that long, too. Not sure what that says about me, but I like doing them. I should go back and see if I can find the first one. Not sure if we still have access to the old board to find out that info.

2 hours ago, BjoeHusker said:

My main concern is our lack of depth.  Hard to see a solid contributor outside of the starting five.

Pretty harsh analysis after a scrimmage and and exhibition game. But I could agree that it remains a reason for concern until we get a few weeks into the season.

- As far as James goes, he was likely too quick with the trigger.  Most, if not all his missed three's, were shot early and not within the flow of the offense.

- As far as the rotation players, none are going to supply instant offense (although Nana possibly could).  But all of them can play specific roles that are important for the team.  Be it defense, picks, rebounding, defense or the ability to move the ball.  My son noticed a play almost immediately after Tanner entered the game.  He set a high-post screen which freed up James for an easy lay up.  These are contributions that largely go unnoticed, yet greatly affects play.  There were instances of tipping the rebound out so that we could maintain possession.  A rebound isn't awarded, but it is the type of hustle plays that will win us a tight game.

Another  thing I noticed that bodes well for us.  We made a number of hustle plays.  Whether it was a dive on the floor or a scramble for a loose ball   Those type of plays can be difference makers.

Lastly, I did not see the entire event (just the Wayne State player flying over or through the court side chairs), Amir must have a bit of fight in him as a double foul was called.  Did anyone see what led up to the flying event?

3 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

So we went 4-26 from 3. Did some quick math... our returning players shot 33.2% from 3 last season. If you assume that 3-pointers are binomially distributed (not perfectly true but probably close), the probability of making 4 3-pointers or fewer on 26 attempts is only 3.7%. Shows how poor of a shooting performance that was.

But wait, there's more. We went 3-25 in the scrimmage, right? Tack that on and you're at 7-51. The probability of making 7 or fewer 3's on 51 attempts is only 0.1%!

What did we shoot versus Iowa State? I could add that it in. I don't recall those numbers.

oh-lowd-funny-math-memes.jpg

-Shooting is a major concern.  We don't run.   We don't have a dominant inside game.   And we don't shoot well.   This is a concern.   Yes it is still early, but we weren't a great shooting team last year and the 3 data points we have so far for this year, we've been well below mediocre.

-Roby is terrific.   Enjoy him this year.

-Watson seemed more comfortable.

-Harris is big guard.  If he can truly grasp the PG spot, in time, his size is a huge factor.

-Heimann is far better than I expected at this point.   He's still weak and will get snapped in half in the Big 10 but there is some potential here IMO

-Don't like our sense of urgency or killer instinct (or more appropriately lack there of).   We return 4 very experienced starters.   This game should have never been close.   This is a common theme dating back to the last few years.   Yes, we ended up winning by 35, but it should have been that way, way sooner than it was.   And we should be able to score more than 75 against a D2 team.

-Just one data point, but I'm worried about Palmer having a Glynn type season last year.   Struggling with his role.  Glynn will still be a factor and Copeland and Roby will be the focus points.   I can see Palmer having a lot of games like last night.

-Little quality depth right now.   Real curious to see how Akenten and Harris come along.

-Still mind boggling we didn''t push harder for a grad transfer big or shooter.

Anyone else notice that Thomas Allen has been running some point last night and at the exhibition?

Sometimes Glynn picks up silly fouls so it seems like we're trying to develop a backup plan for who gets the ball up the court and initiates the offense.

I don't think Brady will crack this rotation but the big man brought it up the court once last night.