Exhibition: Nebraska vs Wayne State - Nov. 1

AuroranHusker

4 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

Nana has a chance to be a more athletic Andrew White, although i'd like to see a bit more arch on his jumper. He also needs to pick it up on the defensive end substantially. 

The last point is the most concerning aspect of Nana's game. I hope he figures it out, NU needs him to contribute in some form this season.

Watching jumpers from players that grew up playing in Chicago and the Northeast part of the country, I have seen a lot of flat shots.  I have two theories as to why that happens.  Many of these kids play a lot of their ball on the playgrounds.  So their shots are effected by the wind outside.  So they learn to flatten their shots in order to improve accuracy.  The second theory has to do with the gyms they play in.  Many have lower ceilings (see photos from books such as 'Miracle at St. Anthony's) and so again, the shots need to have a lower trajectory.

I have no clue if either of my theories ring true, but I grew up shooting outside AND in a friends barn loft (great place to play during winter nights) and in both cases, I shot with  a lower trajectory.  So, food for thought and discussion.

Hmm, I have heard some of you having issues with Nana's defense last night.  I didn't see issues.  I thought his defensive stance was much better (in fact a lot better than last year) and I saw him switching on defense somewhat seamlessly.  What did others specifically see that causes the concern?

40 minutes ago, royalfan said:

The shooting is awful.  So many shots that were missed really badly.  Very frustrating that our staff is not more adept at teaching shooting.  Players should get better shooting the ball while here.  That doesn't happen enough.  

We have had a number of assistant coaches filter through over the past several years.  I do believe many of them knew how to coach shooting...but it baffles me that we still so inconsistent with our exterior shots?!?

2 hours ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Palmer had a lot of good looks and missed pretty much all of them, hoping it was just a fluke

Copeland's shot is so flat im not sure how he shot as well as he did last year.

Allen and Nana appear to have good shots and hopefully will step up and make a decent percentage for us.

This is a good observation about Copeland that's applicable to a lot of the guys on the team right now. We're throwing darts instead of lobbing grenades.  The objective in shooting jumpers, though, is not to hit the rim; the objective is to get the ball through the rim. And when we're firing bullets right at it, the odds of the ball dropping in go down quite a bit.  And that's what it looked like during the scrimmage.  Got to get some arch on the ball.

In addition, speaking of Nana, he has an interesting shooting form.  I can see him getting into a rhythm and being able to shoot the ball well in a practice or something.  But game situations might be different.  A shot with normal tempo and development starts in your feet.  As your knees bend, your hands start going up with the ball, drawing the ball up overhead in a continuous, fluid motion until you extend your legs into the jump part of the jump shot, by which point the ball and your hands should be overhead and begin the process of the shot and follow through. Most of the time, you're starting to deliver the shot before you've reached the peak of your jump.  In other words, you're shooting the shot while you're still on the way up.

A good basketball shot develops much like a baseball throw or a golf swing.  If you have good rhythm and tempo, your hands and arms are moving in sync with the rest of your body.

With Nana's shot, it's hard to describe.  It has a bit of an odd tempo to it.  It's like he starts the jump with the ball overhead already. Then, when he reaches just about the apex of his jump, it's a quick lock and load of his hands going back and then forward with the ball.  There's no fluidity to his shot.  His hands aren't moving in fluid rhythm with the rest of his body as he's shooting.  Maybe that works in practice where he can get into a rhythm in something like a 3-point shooting contest where he's taking shot after shot after shot, and have some success with that stroke.  But, in the course of a game, when you've been playing defense at the other end of the floor, to come down, catch a pass into the corner and be able to make those mechanics work to hit an open 3, I don't know.  I guess I'll just cross my fingers whenever I see him shoot a jumper.

5 hours ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Palmer had a lot of good looks and missed pretty much all of them, hoping it was just a fluke

Copeland's shot is so flat im not sure how he shot as well as he did last year.

Allen and Nana appear to have good shots and hopefully will step up and make a decent percentage for us.

That’s my biggest fear with Palmer this year. His three point game is probably going to make or break whether or not he is a nba draft pick. That could either be really good for us or really bad. 

32 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

That’s my biggest fear with Palmer this year. His three point game is probably going to make or break whether or not he is a nba draft pick. That could either be really good for us or really bad. 

One of the things that has been gnawing at me since the end of last season - did Palmer cap out last year? My gut tells me that he doesn't have a much higher ceiling than what he showed a year ago. And don't get me wrong, he had a really good year for Nebraska. But given the strength of coaching in the B1G, will he be able to even match that production when teams are scheming to stop him? If not, who will pick up the slack?

I could be completely wrong and he may have a whole lot more upside. But that one question has tempered things a bit for me. I still think we are in for a good year, I'm just not sure how good. 

2 minutes ago, demone said:

One of the things that has been gnawing at me since the end of last season - did Palmer cap out last year? My gut tells me that he doesn't have a much higher ceiling than what he showed a year ago. And don't get me wrong, he had a really good year for Nebraska. But given the strength of coaching in the B1G, will he be able to even match that production when teams are scheming to stop him? If not, who will pick up the slack?

I could be completely wrong and he may have a whole lot more upside. But that one question has tempered things a bit for me. I still think we are in for a good year, I'm just not sure how good. 

He is just growing into his body.  He is going to be fine.  In fact, he is going to be better than fine.  I think people have to remember that the exhibition and scrimmage both followed practices.  Their legs were likely dead.  Let's see how the first couple weeks unwind before we worry about the sky falling.

At least Copeland shoots it on the way up.  Some guys are trying to shoot it too high(Palmer).  If not open enough to shoot it on the way up then don't shoot it.  Look at all these deadly guys making threes from everywhere in the dance and you know they are going in.  They shoot it on the way up.  We just shoot it.  

35 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

He is just growing into his body.  He is going to be fine.  In fact, he is going to be better than fine.  I think people have to remember that the exhibition and scrimmage both followed practices.  Their legs were likely dead.  Let's see how the first couple weeks unwind before we worry about the sky falling.

I hope you are right, but Palmer is a senior so I'm not sure how he is "just growing into his body". Regardless, I never said the sky was falling but simply said my expectations are tempered somewhat.

just watched clip of coach K telling his team that every single one of them needs to be able to make standstill threes.  Told them a story about coaching olympians and Kobe told him I will never get standstill threes.  He told him yes you will with Bron etc on the team.  He did and wasn't making them.  Started shooting a thousand a night and became good at it.  

We have to be able to make standstill threes.  We don't need fancy shots like palmer where he jumps high and shoots at the top.  Needs to be more of a free throw looking shot.  Should be a very easy shot.  Granted, I am a deadly shooter so it seems easy to me, but my goodness.  It baffles me why we make it so much more difficult than it should be.