Next Year *Trigger Warning

Norm Peterson

OK, I'm forward thinking. Can't help it. I can still think about this year, too.  I know a lot of fans want to ONLY think about the current season.  I'm not one of them.  If you want to only think about the current season, here's your trigger warning: Stop reading this thread and go do something else.

Below is our scholarship breakdown.  Reading it leaves me with one inescapable conclusion: We need to clear some room under the salary cap to bring in a couple of big men.  For next year.  I'm curious what the plan is.  Juco kid? Grad transfer? One of each?  Even if Roby stays, but especially if he declares for the NBA draft, we're going to need a couple of bodies up front.  And, while I don't like to disparage current players, I'm not sure that either Brady or Dedoch will be ready for prime time by this time next year.

We have a solid roster, otherwise, and it'd be a shame to backslide because we lack a replacement for Copeland (and Roby?).

Anyone disagree? 

Nebrasketball : Scholarships

2018-2019 2019-2020 2020-2021 2021-2022 2022-2023  

13 Borchardt, Tanner Roby, Isaiah Akenten, Nana Heiman, Brady Adams-Woods, Mika 1
S Watson, Glynn Burke, Dachon Allen, Thomas Davis, Karrington Arop, Akol 2
C Palmer, James Akenten, Nana Thorbjarnarson, Thor Harris, Amir Williams, Donovan 3
H Copeland, Isaac Allen, Thomas Burke, Dachon Adams-Woods, Mika ** OPEN ** 4
O Roby, Isaiah Thorbjarnarson, Thor Chan, Dedoch Arop, Akol ** OPEN ** 5
L Akenten, Nana Chan, Dedoch Green, Jervay Williams, Donovan ** OPEN ** 6
A Allen, Thomas Green, Jervay Heiman, Brady ** OPEN ** ** OPEN ** 7
R Thorbjarnarson, Thor Heiman, Brady Davis, Karrington ** OPEN ** ** OPEN ** 8
S Chan, Dedoch Davis, Karrington Harris, Amir ** OPEN ** ** OPEN ** 9
H Heiman, Brady Harris, Amir Adams-Woods, Mika ** OPEN ** ** OPEN ** 10
I Davis, Karrington Adams-Woods, Mika Arop, Akol ** OPEN ** ** OPEN ** 11
P Harris, Amir Arop, Akol Williams, Donovan ** OPEN ** ** OPEN ** 12
S Burke, Dachon - RS ** OPEN ** ** OPEN ** ** OPEN ** ** OPEN ** 13

W   Trueblood, Johnny Trueblood, Johnny Costello, Justin Costello, Justin    
A  O Costello, Justin Costello, Justin        
L  N            
K                

K            
E SENIOR JUNIOR SOPHOMORE FRESHMAN RED-SHIRT  
Y RS = Redshirt VC indicates a verbal commitment Last Updated 8/21/2018
Edited by Norm Peterson

24 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Below is our scholarship breakdown.  Reading it leaves me with one inescapable conclusion: We need to clear some room under the salary cap to bring in a couple of big men. 

I forgot to add in D"Andre Davis so in a few minutes after the spreadsheet updates it will be a little worse.

We have an open schollie for 2019 that screams Grad Transfer Big Man and if we do well enough this year we could land one that is semi-decent.

2 hours ago, noahjb24 said:

imo, could be wrong, we lose Thor and Chan. 

Not only does this seem like the most likely scenario atm, it would also be the most beneficial. That junior class next year is sitting at 6 scholarships. This would cut it down to 4.

But I would much rather have Dedoch Chan come on strong over the year and be an offensive weapon and strong rebounder while still playing serviceable defense.

1 hour ago, Crush78 said:

Isnt Davis redshirting due to the achilles? Would still be a freshman in 2019

I do so wish Karington Davis was healthy and able to play. For one reason because I think he could actually help. For another because I want to see how good he really is so that we know more or less what to expect moving forward.

One opening left in the 19 class and it sure sounds like Thor will either transfer or be asked to leave. I’d like to atleast see what Chan brings to the table before we totally write him off. A undersized big who’s been in the system for a year is likely better than any big we could get in his spot inless Chan is a total liability. 

59 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

One opening left in the 19 class and it sure sounds like Thor will either transfer or be asked to leave. I’d like to atleast see what Chan brings to the table before we totally write him off. A undersized big who’s been in the system for a year is likely better than any big we could get in his spot inless Chan is a total liability. 

"It sure sounds like?" Does that mean you read something on this board or you heard Coach Miles say something? This is the problem trying to read the future. The board was wrong about Tai for years when projecting his future. If you look back at the beginning of last year JPJ was underwhelming to many after the first scrimmage. Does anyone actually have any evidence that Thor is going anywhere except many think he probably won't be able to help the team and assume he will be or they simply want him gone? That might be exactly what happens but it might be way too early to jump to any conclusions or totally write anyone off. Maybe I'm just soft but I feel uncomfortable throwing college kids (no matter how athletic they are kids) under the bus without any real evidence. If you want to disparage Jordy not being a team player I'm on board with that because that is what the evidence shows. Thor did not look like a world-beater last night and honestly, I watched quite a few of his games this summer with Iceland and was disappointed in what I saw in the way of progress. Part of that had to do with the entire team seemingly having no discipline with shot selection, meaning everyone took bad shots but I digress. I know people's opinions are what these boards are for but, I think we should be able to look ahead without walking over the bodies of those who are already here. I'm too excited about the coming season to get pulled into negativity already. Let's save that for the first crisis after we lose our first game before we start writing people off.

6 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

"It sure sounds like?" Does that mean you read something on this board or you heard Coach Miles say something? This is the problem trying to read the future. The board was wrong about Tai for years when projecting his future. If you look back at the beginning of last year JPJ was underwhelming to many after the first scrimmage. Does anyone actually have any evidence that Thor is going anywhere except many think he probably won't be able to help the team and assume he will be or they simply want him gone? That might be exactly what happens but it might be way too early to jump to any conclusions or totally write anyone off. Maybe I'm just soft but I feel uncomfortable throwing college kids (no matter how athletic they are kids) under the bus without any real evidence. If you want to disparage Jordy not being a team player I'm on board with that because that is what the evidence shows. Thor did not look like a world-beater last night and honestly, I watched quite a few of his games this summer with Iceland and was disappointed in what I saw in the way of progress. Part of that had to do with the entire team seemingly having no discipline with shot selection, meaning everyone took bad shots but I digress. I know people's opinions are what these boards are for but, I think we should be able to look ahead without walking over the bodies of those who are already here. I'm too excited about the coming season to get pulled into negativity already. Let's save that for the first crisis after we lose our first game before we start writing people off.

The reality is that we have all of our scholarships filled for 2020 which means we can't sign another kid for either 2019 or 2020 without either losing someone on scholarship or someone who has committed. The other reality is that we are actively recruiting post players for 2019 and 2020 because frankly we don't have enough.  While I agree in your assessment that we don't know how people will develop we're having this conversation because ultimately it appears at least one person or commit for 2019-20 won't be here.

6 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

The reality is that we have all of our scholarships filled for 2020 which means we can't sign another kid for either 2019 or 2020 without either losing someone on scholarship or someone who has committed. The other reality is that we are actively recruiting post players for 2019 and 2020 because frankly we don't have enough.  While I agree in your assessment that we don't know how people will develop we're having this conversation because ultimately it appears at least one person or commit for 2019-20 won't be here.

I agree with your assessment. Just saying we can have the discussion about what we need without eating our own at this point.

1 hour ago, TimSmiles said:

tough to look past this current season. so much could change after this season depending how it goes.

i will say that if roby leaves after this year, next year is looking like a rebuilding year. which i'm fine with if it means we make the tournament this season AND WIN!

FIFY