10/24 Scrimage

cjbowbros

44 minutes ago, Coaches kid said:

The optics say that Nana has really taken a step forward. He has a nice stroke and looks explosive and athletic. My question is whether he can handle the ball out on the floor.

Got a chuckle out of your description, Kid.  

I have a vague recollection of Tim Miles describing Nana, when he committed, as a more-athletic Andrew White.  And your description, Kid, seems on-point with that comparison.

2 hours ago, Coaches kid said:

I only saw the scrimmage before the scrimmage. Agreed that the top 5 are very good. Thomas will benefit by playing with several guys who can take defenders off the dribble. If they leave him to help, he will get open shots (and will likely make them at a higher rate than Anton did last year).

The optics say that Nana has really taken a step forward. He has a nice stroke and looks explosive and athletic. My question is whether he can handle the ball out on the floor, but if he can adequately guard stretch 4's and is playing with enough other ball handlers, that may not be such a big deal. Amir Harris is an x-factor. He had a very athletic play in the pre-scrimmage where he took it baseline and tried to flush it two-handed over a defender. Looks like he can handle the ball and could finish at the rim, but as others have pointed out, his shot is shaky (it needs to be re-constructed). Hopes are that he can be a positive contributor, especially on the defensive end,  by January 1. 

No doubt in my mind Tanner will play and will have to provide interior defense (especially if Zay or Cope are in foul trouble).  Brady has some athleticism, but he needs to add some muscle. If he could eventually spot the 4/5's for 3-4 minutes per half, that would be a huge plus. 

Last year, I was pleasantly surprised with Thor, but he didn't look great last night. Perhaps it was just an off night, but from the looks of it, Nana took a giant stride forward and Thor did not. I won't give up on Chan as an eventual contributor, but it doesn't look like that will happen this year. He actually showed the ability to handle the ball in some pre-scrimmage drills, and his frame is much sturdier than what I saw on tape. My guess is he's a bit lost scheme-wise, and he has a way to go to adjust to the basketball played on this level. 

Dachon is gonna be a good one. Wish he could play this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's the next all-big ten-type transfer player from Nebraska. I enjoy reading everybody's input here. It's good to watch basketball again. GBR!!

As usual, Coaches Kid dissects things pretty well.

I agree totally about Nana and Thor.  Last year, I was pleasantly surprised by Thor and thought he looked like the better player.  Nana appears to have taken a much bigger step forward, though.  Thor's shooting is still not very good and it should have gotten better over the off-season.  During the drills when they separated by position group, Thor was air-balling his set-shot jumper thing and generally missing badly.

I agree about Tanner playing.  We'll need him. I think he looked quicker out there.  

15 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Got a chuckle out of your description, Kid.  

I have a vague recollection of Tim Miles describing Nana, when he committed, as a more-athletic Andrew White.  And your description, Kid, seems on-point with that comparison.

Wasn’t it Lee Barf that said Nana was one of the best Husker shooters he has seen in practice? If so...there has to be a spot for him to get some minutes.  This team is probably going to struggle some again from deep so anything helps.  He could possibly fill Anton Gill’s role. 

41 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Wasn’t it Lee Barf that said Nana was one of the best Husker shooters he has seen in practice? If so...there has to be a spot for him to get some minutes.  This team is probably going to struggle some again from deep so anything helps.  He could possibly fill Anton Gill’s role. 

I've been watching a lot of highlights of our games from last year as I usually do when a new season is about to start. I think we're underestimating how good Anton really was last year. That dude hit a lot of shots for us (especially clutch ones down the stretch), and actually got to the rim more than we think. Hopefully Allen can do the some of the same but I don't think that's his game.  

Just now, OmahaHusker said:

I've been watching a lot of highlights of our games from last year as I usually do when a new season is about to start. I think we're underestimating how good Anton really was last year. That dude hit a lot of shots for us (especially clutch ones down the stretch), and actually got to the rim more than we think. Hopefully Allen can do the some of the same but I don't think that's his game.  

At the beginning of the year Anton really exceeded my expectations.  I thought he would be rusty and perhaps a shadow of his old self due to his injuries.  But he really was good for us.  He tailed off towards year end though. 

We lost four contributors from last years squad and are replacing them with a lot of inexperience.  In a major part, that is why I am concerned with our depth.

15 hours ago, Kent Pavelka said:

I lurk here and hide in the shadows a lot. Sometimes with a camera.

Why do you have to come out the one time we thought the announcing could've been better and make us feel bad man. ? Can't wait to find your burner account on here that your using to leak classified broadcast material on. @KentIsTheBest1234? @Kent craw?

16 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I'm more concerned about Allen replacing Gill's size, speed, and experience on defense than his offensive contributions 

This!  I think a more aggressive Roby, an improved Allen, and Glynn giving more offensive production can more than make up for our offense.

Experience will be something that we won't have coming off of the bench.  That can lead to mistakes and possibly some head scratching plays on both ends of the floor.

5 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

This!  I think a more aggressive Roby, an improved Allen, and Glynn giving more offensive production can more than make up for our offense.

Experience will be something that we won't have coming off of the bench.  That can lead to mistakes and possibly some head scratching plays on both ends of the floor.

Like Miles said earlier, i believe atleast 3 of the "Fab Four" will be on the court at all times in most cases. So whoever is in from the bench wont be expected to do much except play solid defense and convert easy scoring opportunities.

Substitution plan with 8 man Rotation each half                
           Clock       Clock       Clock      Clock      Clock   Clock
  TOTAL      20:00      16:00      12:00       8:00      4:00   0:00
  Min Roster STARTERS Min Played   Min Played   Min Played   Min Played   Min Played  
1 16 Glynn Watson 4* Glynn Watson  4 Glynn Watson  4     Glynn Watson 4 Glynn Watson 4  
2 16 Allen, Thomas 4* Allen, Thomas  4     Allen, Thomas  4 Allen, Thomas 4 Allen, Thomas 4  
3 16 James Palmer 4* James Palmer  4 James Palmer  4 James Palmer 4     James Palmer 4  
4 16 Issac Copeland 5* Issac Copeland  4     Issac Copeland  4 Issac Copeland 4 Issac Copeland 4  
5 16 Isaiah Roby 4* Isaiah Roby 4 Isaiah Roby  4     Isaiah Roby 4 Isaiah Roby 4  
6 8 Amir Harris     Amir Harris 4     Amir Harris 4      
7 8 Nana Akenten     Nana Akenten 4 Nana Akenten 4          
8 4 Tanner Borchardt         Tanner Borchardt 4          
9 0 Dedoch Chan                      
10 0 Thorir Thorbjarnarson                      
11 0 Brady Heiman                      
      Based on these assumptions:                  
  100   Starters play ~32 Min per game.                

Harris -  Strong on Defense, Offense, not so much.  Look for him to post up near the basket and let shooters set on the perimeter.  Remember Jason Dourisseau.  When he had the ball, there were 5 people guarding 4.    
      Nana -  Strong on Offense, set up on the 3 pt line.  Should open up the middle.  Defense, unknown.        
      Tanner -  Should be better than last year.                 

As you can see, their are a lot of questions to answer as to the strengths of the subs and how to put them into the rotation.                      

2 hours ago, khoock said:

Like Miles said earlier, i believe atleast 3 of the "Fab Four" will be on the court at all times in most cases. So whoever is in from the bench wont be expected to do much except play solid defense and convert easy scoring opportunities.

Sort of like Benny did?  The only problem with that, and I say this with the utmost respect, the opponent sagged way off Benny and mucked up the middle.  

That is why I like Tom on the floor.  You cannot lay off of him or he should/will kill them.  Perhaps Nana brings that to the floor, but we need to see him in more action.  Tanner will strictly be a paint guy who can set solid picks on the perimeter.  I think Kendrick could have been that guy.  I worry that the defenses will lay off Amir until he can prove that he can hit a jumper.  Thor...not an outside shooter, or at least he hasn't proven it yet.  

I hope I am worried about nothing.  But hey, I wouldn't be a die-hard Husker basketball fan if I didn't worry about the sky falling.

A little behind because I missed the scrimmage. 

From what I'm reading, dedoch Chan looked off. I am still hopeful he gets adjusted. But this isn't a good start. He's only been on campus for a little over two months now. Hopefully he can figure it out.

I thought Thor might compete for PT because he could help playmaking off the bench, but from the sounds of it they run Amir off the bench. 

Like the idea of Nana as a stretch 4/wing off the bench. If Allen is struggling I could see them inserting Nana into there. 

Anything significant that I missed?

14 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

A little behind because I missed the scrimmage. 

From what I'm reading, dedoch Chan looked off. I am still hopeful he gets adjusted. But this isn't a good start. He's only been on campus for a little over two months now. Hopefully he can figure it out.

I thought Thor might compete for PT because he could help playmaking off the bench, but from the sounds of it they run Amir off the bench. 

Like the idea of Nana as a stretch 4/wing off the bench. If Allen is struggling I could see them inserting Nana into there. 

Anything significant that I missed?

To summarize the consensus (I believe I will be close):

Starting five appears solid (Glynn, Isaiah, Isaac, James and Tom)

The three rotation locks seem to be Amir (PG and G), Nana (Wing, stretch 4) and Tanner (Post).  

There certainly is time for changes.  Remember, most of us thought that Jack was locked into the rotation last season.  So nothing is locked and loaded, this is based on some VERY loose/limited scrimmage/practice views. 

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

To summarize the consensus (I believe I will be close):

Starting five appears solid (Glynn, Isaiah, Isaac, James and Tom)

The three rotation locks seem to be Amir (PG and G), Nana (Wing, stretch 4) and Tanner (Post).  

There certainly is time for changes.  Remember, most of us thought that Jack was locked into the rotation last season.  So nothing is locked and loaded, this is based on some VERY loose/limited scrimmage/practice views. 

That was what I thought. Kind of curious what'll happen with the other two bigs in case Roby or cope gets in foul trouble. Both seem to need polishing from what I can see from everyone. 

Offensively, Jack could shoot and could’ve helped last year. But his defense was a liability, so it kept him on the pine. A scrimmage like this doesn’t lend itself to showing some of the small things that could be the difference of seeing more pt or not.  Miles did say on KLIN with Jack Mitchell that he was going to give Thorir a chance to play this year...

Also, for those at the scrimmage: how did Tanner look athletically at 250? I remember watching him last year thinking man this kid couldn't jump over an ant (slight exaggeration). 

We know the kid is fairly athletic (D1 football prospect, D1 basketball player, Class C  high school state champ in track). Im hoping the weight loss brings more of it out.