10/24 Scrimage

cjbowbros

18 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

1) Burke is a beast and will be huge for us in the coming years.

2) Wish Thomas was more aggressive with how good of a shooter he is, wish he shot as much as Costello does when he plays.

3) Glynn looked good which is uber important

4) If Nana can just be a more athletic Jack McVeigh this year that is really all we need.

Excellent point about Nana.  If you were at the playground picking teams, you'd probably take Nana, right?

Agreed, Glynn looked good.  And confident.  I'm thinking/hoping that means a return to his sophomore year shooting numbers

Thomas Allen picks his spots.  He shoots when the opportunity presents.  I was overall pleased with the all-around game he displayed last night.  He appeared comfortable with his role and was doing some of the little things that don't always show up on stat sheets.

Burke is very good.  Extremely quick change of direction and is able to turn on the jets to get past his guy and then finish at the rim.  Not a great perimeter shooter, but good enough you have to account for him.  Feel a lot more comfortable about where the back court might be next year with him being eligible and bringing Jervay Green in.  Still worried about the front court next year, though.  Yikes.

Did anyone else think that having Kent and a coach on the mic was a bit awkward? I thought it was cringe worthy at times - especially with Coach Mo. Coach Gates was fine. Lewis about put me to sleep. And Miles was, well, Miles. But listening to them talk about Brady's body while he was ON THE COURT was just weird to me. They needed to play some music in the background or SOMETHING during that cuz when they weren't talking, it was super awkward. There was definitely a weird energy in the arena during the scrimmage, and having a radio interview take place while they're playing definitely didn't help with that.

Also, why is there not a dunk contest or a three-point shooting contest? (I don't want to watch some "fan" whose never touched a basketball air ball 12 of 15 threes, so that doesn't count.) Instead, we got four super loose 4-minute periods of sloppy basketball. Let us see some sick dunks or a competitive three-point shooting contest. I'm not saying we need a big Midnight Madness like other programs. (2Chainz performed at Kansas' Midnight Madness, but we can't get Larry the Cable Guy to show up and say "Git-er-Done! GBR!"?) I just think this event could be better if they marketed it differently. It didn't look like there were many students there. Market it to them. Get them pumped up for the season. Practice chants/cheers that we can do during games. Do something that pumps ENERGY into the room.

Like many of you, I was underwhelmed, so it's easy to say, "Make it better!" even when I probably have no clue how big of a task setting up something like this is...

It's pretty obvious that @Kent Pavelka is a much better radio PBP man than he is hype man/MC.  Two totally different disciplines and I give him credit for doing about as good a job as could be expected.

To that end, having Kent and the coaches talking live over the PA probably was pretty distracting for the players and could perhaps explain some of the sloppy play.

As far as gettin 2 Chainz or Lil' Yachty come perform at the basketball scrimmage a la Kansas, maybe let's try winning a NCAA tourney game first!  :D Late Night at the Phog, Big Blue Madness, Hoosier Hysteria, et al are pretty unique events in the hoops world.  Our scrimmage is probably more in line with what the vast majority of other schools do.  I don't know...does Creighton even have a scrimmage event that fans can come watch?

12 minutes ago, 49r said:

It's pretty obvious that @Kent Pavelka is a much better radio PBP man than he is hype man/MC.  Two totally different disciplines and I give him credit for doing about as good a job as could be expected.

To that end, having Kent and the coaches talking live over the PA probably was pretty distracting for the players and could perhaps explain some of the sloppy play.

As far as gettin 2 Chainz or Lil' Yachty come perform at the basketball scrimmage a la Kansas, maybe let's try winning a NCAA tourney game first!  :D Late Night at the Phog, Big Blue Madness, Hoosier Hysteria, et al are pretty unique events in the hoops world.  Our scrimmage is probably more in line with what the vast majority of other schools do.  I don't know...does Creighton even have a scrimmage event that fans can come watch?

Most programs don't really do anything........

19 minutes ago, 49r said:

I don't care what other schools (especially Creighton) do with their preseason events. If we were doing what other schools were doing, we'd have won that tournament game by now!

But you make a valid point: difficult to make this event more than it is until it DESERVES to be more than it is.

45 minutes ago, 49r said:

And I'm probably a bit more harsh on this stuff than most. I'm a standup comedian, so I talk into a microphone in front of people all the time. I've produced countless shows over the years so it's impossible for me to not pay attention to (and critique) whomever is on the mic at a live event. In my opinion, it was just really awkward and sucked more energy out of the room than it created.

Edited by dustystehl

15 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

And I'm probably a bit more harsh on this stuff than most. I'm a standup comedian, so I talk into a microphone in front of people all the time. I've produced countless shows over the years so it's impossible for me to not pay attention to (and critique) whomever is on the mic at a live event. In my opinion, it was just really awkward and sucked more energy out of the room than it created.

One time I think it was Gates got Kent almost defensive after Gates said that doing radio and announcing wasn't that hard. It was also very hard to hear coach Mo and coach Lewis.

11 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

One time I think it was Gates got Kent almost defensive after Gates said that doing radio and announcing wasn't that hard. It was also very hard to hear coach Mo and coach Lewis.

It was a very awkward exchange. Sometimes I just wonder if the guys running these things have any common sense. From the tunnel walk playing a different random tune after Sirius the first couple games that got no one in the crowd fired up (except for Minnesota when they just let Sirius play out, and lo and behold we won haha) to the decision to have the coaches talking the entire scrimmage? And then no dunk or 3 point contest between the team? Just weird. 

1 hour ago, 49r said:

I don't know who 2 Chainz or Lil' Yachty are, but they sound terrifying.  

One thing that I also wanted to point out was that the teams were split, and therefore it was pretty hard to get an accurate gauge on players... especially starters.

For instance, having Copeland and Palmer on the same team was a good bet for me to win the scrimmage.  However, they didn't and part of the reason is that they didn't have a great PG to initiate the offense.  I also think that it shows how valuable Glynn is going to be this year.  He is going to compliment those guys very well.  I think Glynn will help to put the other four starters in a position to succeed and they will.  We don't need Glynn to go off for double digits each game, but we need him to be a threat and a great distributor of the ball.

I think many were underwhelmed due to the lack of flow for both teams offensively.  To me, it seemed like there was a lack of flow and some confusion because of who the guys were playing with.  Cope and Palmer didn't have anyone to initiate the offense.  Glynn had awesome drives and instead of kicking out to Copeland or Palmer for a three or drive, he was kicking it out to Costello.  

Get the starting five together, and I think we have a complete different outlook.  Excited for a week from today.  Hopefully they do a live stream once again!

Okay, who else thinks we should now start a thread called 'The comedy of dustystehl so that we have a go to location when we are in a dire mode.  Dusty could put some of his best material in there, and the rest of us could bore him with some of our jokes and material ?

Just now, Huskerpapa said:

Okay, who else thinks we should now start a thread called 'The comedy of dustystehl so that we have a go to location when we are in a dire mode.  Dusty could put some of his best material in there, and the rest of us could bore him with some of our jokes and material ?

Only if the first post is an entire skit on Creighton!  ?

"What's 40 years old, wears a blue sweater vest, and plays college basketball?"  "Grant Gibbs of course!"

Ok... ok... Comedy isn't really my thing....

Since we've veered off into comedy, no one has mentioned this yet, so I will.

Funniest moment of the night:  

Kent says this might be the first time in program history we've had two guys from the same high school, Elkhorn South, on the team at the same time.

Miles says "What about those two guys from Ft. Wayne?"

Actually, it's Muncie, Indiana Central, and those "two guys from Ft. Wayne" were none other than Jack Moore and Jerry Shoecraft.

24 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

This entire board is a "go to location when we are in dire mode"

59 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Since we've veered off into comedy, no one has mentioned this yet, so I will.

Funniest moment of the night:  

Kent says this might be the first time in program history we've had two guys from the same high school, Elkhorn South, on the team at the same time.

Miles says "What about those two guys from Ft. Wayne?"

Actually, it's Muncie, Indiana Central, and those "two guys from Ft. Wayne" were none other than Jack Moore and Jerry Shoecraft.

Maybe he should have mentioned they are two walk-ons who played together at the same Nebraska H.S. and college. ;)

So for all of our kvetching and whining about this and that, there were a number of pretty spectacular plays last night, you can watch the highlights here:

I don't think you can do a poll in a post and I don't want to start a new thread just for that purpose but what do you think was the highlight of the night?

• Cope's dunk and chin-up on the rim to start the scoring
  • Palmer's strong move to the hoop and bucket against Harris
  • Watson's pull up 3 on the break
  • Watson's turn around J on the baseline
  • Palmer alley oop to Nana on the break
  • Roby going showtime at the end going through the legs and finishing with the windmill dunk

Personally, I'll say the Palmer to Nana ally oop.

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

No need for you guys to post jokes. Your normal posts bore me enough as it is.

3 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

It was a very awkward exchange. Sometimes I just wonder if the guys running these things have any common sense. From the tunnel walk playing a different random tune after Sirius the first couple games that got no one in the crowd fired up (except for Minnesota when they just let Sirius play out, and lo and behold we won haha) to the decision to have the coaches talking the entire scrimmage? And then no dunk or 3 point contest between the team? Just weird. 

If you're going to talk about the tunnel walk the sound system sucks just Sirius was clearly the better choice but still sounded terrible.

I only saw the scrimmage before the scrimmage. Agreed that the top 5 are very good. Thomas will benefit by playing with several guys who can take defenders off the dribble. If they leave him to help, he will get open shots (and will likely make them at a higher rate than Anton did last year).

The optics say that Nana has really taken a step forward. He has a nice stroke and looks explosive and athletic. My question is whether he can handle the ball out on the floor, but if he can adequately guard stretch 4's and is playing with enough other ball handlers, that may not be such a big deal. Amir Harris is an x-factor. He had a very athletic play in the pre-scrimmage where he took it baseline and tried to flush it two-handed over a defender. Looks like he can handle the ball and could finish at the rim, but as others have pointed out, his shot is shaky (it needs to be re-constructed). Hopes are that he can be a positive contributor, especially on the defensive end,  by January 1. 

No doubt in my mind Tanner will play and will have to provide interior defense (especially if Zay or Cope are in foul trouble).  Brady has some athleticism, but he needs to add some muscle. If he could eventually spot the 4/5's for 3-4 minutes per half, that would be a huge plus. 

Last year, I was pleasantly surprised with Thor, but he didn't look great last night. Perhaps it was just an off night, but from the looks of it, Nana took a giant stride forward and Thor did not. I won't give up on Chan as an eventual contributor, but it doesn't look like that will happen this year. He actually showed the ability to handle the ball in some pre-scrimmage drills, and his frame is much sturdier than what I saw on tape. My guess is he's a bit lost scheme-wise, and he has a way to go to adjust to the basketball played on this level. 

Dachon is gonna be a good one. Wish he could play this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's the next all-big ten-type transfer player from Nebraska. I enjoy reading everybody's input here. It's good to watch basketball again. GBR!!