10/24 Scrimage

cjbowbros

6 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

They scrimmaged while the T-shirt line was still around the corner, stopped went in for quite awhile and then came out for intros, warmups and the official scrimmage. Watson and Burke especially hit a couple of tough 3’s (Roby also on that team and hit)  in the pre-scrimmage or whatever you want to call it. Everybody around me was oohing and saying things like, “They can’t keep shooting that well.” Then the real scrimmage started and proved them right, they did not continue to shoot anywhere near that well. 

Yup, that's what I saw.  We got there a little after 5 with the line wrapped back to the post office and then a security guard says 'you can come in here if you don't want a shirt' and we waltzed right in to see the pre-scrimmage scrimmage.

50 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

The official scrimmage shooting % was not the best, but did you see the scrimmage before intros. Watson, Allen Nana all hit a couple along with Burke and Cope and. Roby each hit one. Palmer was the only one who didn’t hit. The 3pt % had to be in the 70’s if not higher. 

Yes, I did see that Dean.  Sort of why I referenced possible tired legs.  But our percentage was not high at Iowa State either.  So, again I hope it is tired legs.

9 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Take this for what it's worth from a guy who fed and wrestled 3 kids.

I thought they looked a lot more crisp in the scrimmage before the scrimmage so the 3pt misses are whatever. 

Burke would either be the 5th starter or the first guy off the bench if he could play this year. As it stands Thomas Allen has that spot locked up.

Nana is going to see significant minutes this year but I think he seems like a guy who will have those 'Toney McCray what the heck are you doing out there" moments.

We'll see how he progresses but Chan looks more like a walk-on than he does a guy who might crack the rotation.  Did anyone watch who he was defending when he was out there?  

Ya, my son pointed out they had him guarding one of the Elk South kids, don't remember which one, but his comment was, "If that's who they told him to guard that doesn't say much about their confidence in his ability to guard anyone."

14 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Take this for what it's worth from a guy who fed and wrestled 3 kids.

I thought they looked a lot more crisp in the scrimmage before the scrimmage so the 3pt misses are whatever. 

Burke would either be the 5th starter or the first guy off the bench if he could play this year. As it stands Thomas Allen has that spot locked up.

Nana is going to see significant minutes this year but I think he seems like a guy who will have those 'Toney McCray what the heck are you doing out there" moments.

We'll see how he progresses but Chan looks more like a walk-on than he does a guy who might crack the rotation.  Did anyone watch who he was defending when he was out there?  

I can't recall if it was in the scrimmage or the pre-scrimmage, but he was briefly covering Isaiah.  He really looked awkward on the floor.  Sort of like he was playing mechanical rather than loose.  Part of me believes he doesn't know the system yet, so he was always a half-tic off.  

1 minute ago, Huskerpapa said:

I can't recall if it was in the scrimmage or the pre-scrimmage, but he was briefly covering Isaiah.  He really looked awkward on the floor.  Sort of like he was playing mechanical rather than loose.  Part of me believes he doesn't know the system yet, so he was always a half-tic off.  

The silver cloud lining is that after watching Jordy and Dube throw the ball towards the hoop and pray that if we do ever see Chan out there he will be able to score.  When I did watch his highlights I saw a guy who had posts moves and the ability to knock down a 3.

1 hour ago, cjbowbros said:

I was actually surprised by the level of seriousness and average play. Always have to remember these guys already had a hard practice before this and won't play anywhere close to where they will in a game.

Anyone else remember the public scrimmage before the season Terran's sophomore year and how horrible he looked? Couldn't hit jack squat. But, hey, they'd been practicing for however long before the fans got in the arena.  Seems probable his legs were a bit tired and shots weren't falling.

I'm not going to put much into the shooting percentages tonight.  We have 5 really talented starters.  We have a couple of guys who can come in off the bench and be serviceable.

I think we'll be fine.

17 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

The silver cloud lining is that after watching Jordy and Dube throw the ball towards the hoop and pray that if we do ever see Chan out there he will be able to score.  When I did watch his highlights I saw a guy who had posts moves and the ability to knock down a 3.

Chan puts the weirdest sidespin on the ball when he shoots that I think I've ever seen. Somehow it goes in. 

I wish they'd start over with Amir's shot, though. Start it over from ground zero and build him up from square one. Do it now, while he's still young and can overhaul the thing for real.  Don't tweak it; start over and build it from the ground up.

On 10/23/2018 at 8:06 PM, hskr4life said:

I don't care what the hell you do or who looks good or bad.  Just make damn sure that no one gets hurt. 

Please and thank you!

Just remember we could be dealing with this right now. Also the sights and sounds from tonight are up on the podcast as well as a little reaction from the secret scrimmage. ?

9 hours ago, HB said:

Amazing what people will do for free stuff.  

A security guard came out and invited anyone who wanted to skip the t-shirt line to take a different door directly into the tunnel and to the seats. Jumped at that chance. Was more interested in watching practice than waiting an extra 20 minutes to get to the front of the t-shirt line.

7 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

I wouldn’t take too much away from the actual scrimmage...Miles mentioned they had a hard practice earlier, plus the pre-scrimmage scrimmage, so fatigue and just the factors of a really long day were at play. Burke can flat out play. Nice quickness. Donovan Williams looks like he’s 28. 

More like 38 ?

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

A security guard came out and invited anyone who wanted to skip the t-shirt line to take a different door directly into the tunnel and to the seats. Jumped at that chance. Was more interested in watching practice than waiting an extra 20 minutes to get to the front of the t-shirt line.

Did the same and got great seats.   Had some fun watching people stay in that ridiculous line for a T-shirt.   Especially the ones without kids. 

I skipped the line and as I was walking to my seat, the dude at the end simply asked if I wanted a shirt and he tossed me one.  Best of all worlds.  The shirt likely has a street value of $500, so I am glad he was so kind.  Another dude gave me about five posters as he grabbed a bunch and didn't need them all.  

By the way, in the past I would view a scrimmage like this with rose colored glasses.  I was hoping and wishing the Huskers were going to be good.  This year, my expectations were much higher and I found myself looking at the team with a much more critical eye.  And because of that, I found myself underwhelmed.  That said, we have an exceptional first five.  Those five players can likely compete with any team in the country, and prevail against most.  My concern is with the depth.  We currently do not have instant offense coming off the bench.  We should have players that can/should play roles effectively.  

Time and maturation will help.   

1) Burke is a beast and will be huge for us in the coming years.

2) Wish Thomas was more aggressive with how good of a shooter he is, wish he shot as much as Costello does when he plays.

3) Glynn looked good which is uber important

4) If Nana can just be a more athletic Jack McVeigh this year that is really all we need.

3 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Miles has repeatedly said that Tom needs to play “outside of his personality “ because he’s pretty chill and laid back off the court

That's an interesting comment from Coach Miles. Hopefully Tom Allen can light it up, no matter how chill he might be outside of the arena. GBR

Edited by AuroranHusker