You heard it here first

Norm Peterson

Adrian struggled against MSU.  But the great news is that he kept fighting and did enough to win the game.  There was a hit on AM very early in the game that may have been unnoticed, but I saw something that stood out a bit.  AM was tackled and was on the ground, or nearly on the ground when he was hit by a safety or LB in the back.  It was a hard, hard hit and when it happened, AM looked at the player.  It was almost like it alarmed AM that it was such a terrific impact.  Perhaps I totally misread it, but I thought it was an "impact" play for Michigan State.

That said, the wind was bad, and dang, it got colder and more miserable as the game progressed.  Playing in that wind, against a top notch defense, finally made Adrian look a bit human.  

This was a great learning opportunity for Adrian, and I believe he passed the test.  I doubt AM will play a game under more trying circumstances; but then again, the Big Ten is good, and Nebraska weather is what it is.  

Again, good win.

36 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Adrian struggled against MSU.  But the great news is that he kept fighting and did enough to win the game.  There was a hit on AM very early in the game that may have been unnoticed, but I saw something that stood out a bit.  AM was tackled and was on the ground, or nearly on the ground when he was hit by a safety or LB in the back.  It was a hard, hard hit and when it happened, AM looked at the player.  It was almost like it alarmed AM that it was such a terrific impact.  Perhaps I totally misread it, but I thought it was an "impact" play for Michigan State.

That said, the wind was bad, and dang, it got colder and more miserable as the game progressed.  Playing in that wind, against a top notch defense, finally made Adrian look a bit human.  

This was a great learning opportunity for Adrian, and I believe he passed the test.  I doubt AM will play a game under more trying circumstances; but then again, the Big Ten is good, and Nebraska weather is what it is.  

Again, good win.

I saw that play as well.  I have to think AM was dinged up, as he didn't run after the first series or 2.  Take Speilman and AM's runnng threat, as well as playing a very good defense and the weather, and it was going to be tough to score.   We were just trying to manage it best we could.   Reed's sack gave us hope and momentum that we could get it done.  

Fun day.  If one dresses appropriately, it is totally manageable.  Loved the snow.     No matter what happens next weekend, the improvement in the program is palpable.  The hand wringers from earlier in the season have been quiet.  

• 3 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:50 AM, Norm Peterson said:

Actually, I'm not sure my praise of Martinez has been effusive enough.  He's not just the best passing dual-threat QB we've ever had; he's maybe one of the best passing QBs of any stripe we've ever had.  Just ask Zac Taylor, Sam Keller and Joe Ganz:

Zac Taylor:

2005 Nebraska Big 12 JR QB 12 237 430 55.1 2653 6.2 5.8 19 12 115.9
*2006 Nebraska Big 12 SR QB 14 233 391 59.6 3197 8.2 8.6 26 8

Sam Keller:

SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT RAW QBR ADJ QBR
2007 205 325 2422 63.1 7.45 73 14 10 13 133.7 51.7 56.1

Joe Ganz:

SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT RAW QBR ADJ QBR
2006 7 13 122 53.8 9.39 31 3 0 2 208.8 99.3 98.8
2007 89 152 1435 58.6 9.44 62 16 7 5 163.4 78.8 85.3
2008 285 420 3568 67.9 8.50 69 25 11 21 153.6 64.5 68.5

Ganz had 420 passing attempts and only 21 sacks; A-Mart has been sacked 16 times on only 238 attempts. He's making some truly incredible throws across his body while running for his life.  I think pretty much everyone who's not on the Rivals board or who thinks Riley didn't get enough time can see this kid is truly special.

Final freshman passing stats for A-mart:

Stats

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG RTG
224 347 64.6 2,617 7.5 17 8 75 139.5

• 3 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:19 AM, Norm Peterson said:

Adrian Martinez is the best passing dual-threat QB we've ever had.

Taylor Martinez's best single season completion percentage: 62.7% as a senior; 6.1 yards per attempt

Brook Berringer's best single season completion percentage: 62.3% as a junior; 8.6 yards per attempt

Keithen McCant's best single season completion percentage: 57.7% as a senior; 8.7 yards per attempt

Tommie Frazier's best single season completion percentage: 56.4% as a senior; 9.3 yards per attempt

Eric Crouch's best single season completion percentage: 55.6% as a senior; 8 yards per attempt

Turner Gill's best single season completion percentage:  55.3% as a senior; 9.5 yards per attempt

Scott Frost's best single season completion percentage: 55.3% as a senior; 7.8 yards per attempt

Adrian Martinez:  66.1%; 7.9 yards per attempt

* Minimum of 30 attempts

Just to remind everyone that you heard it here first.

On 10/23/2018 at 9:19 AM, Norm Peterson said:

Adrian Martinez is the best passing dual-threat QB we've ever had.

Taylor Martinez's best single season completion percentage: 62.7% as a senior; 6.1 yards per attempt

Brook Berringer's best single season completion percentage: 62.3% as a junior; 8.6 yards per attempt

Keithen McCant's best single season completion percentage: 57.7% as a senior; 8.7 yards per attempt

Tommie Frazier's best single season completion percentage: 56.4% as a senior; 9.3 yards per attempt

Eric Crouch's best single season completion percentage: 55.6% as a senior; 8 yards per attempt

Turner Gill's best single season completion percentage:  55.3% as a senior; 9.5 yards per attempt

Scott Frost's best single season completion percentage: 55.3% as a senior; 7.8 yards per attempt

Adrian Martinez:  66.1%; 7.9 yards per attempt

* Minimum of 30 attempts

Your point is well made and I am geeked about AM's future as a Husker. I would observe that IMO the best QB is not listed. In 1989 Gerry Gdowski completed 52.5% (admittedly a lower number) but his yards per attempt was 9.8 -- higher than anyone else up there. In addition he only threw 2 interceptions all season. His QB pass rating was 177.3 which would be the highest season rating in NCAA history if he had the minimum of 15 attempts per game (he had 12 per game). And to cap that he RUSHED for 925 yards at an average 7.9 per carry. (BTW, that average broke the record to that point of no one else but Mike Rozier.) It is a fun discussion but Gdowski deserves to be in the mix.

Edited by KZRider

17 hours ago, KZRider said:

Your point is well made and I am geeked about AM's future as a Husker. I would observe that IMO the best QB is not listed. In 1989 Gerry Gdowski completed 52.5% (admittedly a lower number) but his yards per attempt was 9.8 -- higher than anyone else up there. In addition he only threw 2 interceptions all season. His QB pass rating was 177.3 which would be the highest season rating in NCAA history if he had the minimum of 15 attempts per game (he had 12 per game). And to cap that he RUSHED for 925 yards at an average 7.9 per carry. (BTW, that average broke the record to that point of no one else but Mike Rozier.) It is a fun discussion but Gdowski deserves to be in the mix.

14 hours ago, Searching 4 Chester Surles said:

Bobby Newcombe 63% and 9.8 y/a.

I don't want to take anything away from Gerry Gdowski or Bobby Newcombe. However, I don't think either was a "great" passer, despite what their passing numbers might suggest.

In Osborne's offense, the run game started everything. It was overwhelmingly powerful and defenses had to line up to stop it. They stacked the box, the safeties played up, and the whole defense was within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. The passing philosophy involved getting defenses to bite on the run and expect it so much that you could slip a tight end behind them un-noticed and have them wide open over the middle.  Typically, the ball was underthrown so that you were assured of a completion but no yards after catch rather than trying to hit the receiver in stride and risking overthrowing him.

I don't know how Newcombe or Gdowski would grade out under PFF's grading system, but I know for sure that Adrian Martinez grades out extremely well in the passing department. Here's a little graphic about "Big-Time Throws" showing AMart as a freshman was 2nd in the B1G among returning players:

And here's a discussion about what "big-time throws" are:

What is a big-time throw?

In its simplest terms, a big-time throw is on the highest end of both difficulty and value. While the value is easy to see statistically, the difficulty has more to do with passes that have a lower completion percentage the further the ball is thrown down the field. Therefore, the big-time throw is best described as a pass with excellent ball location and timing, generally thrown further down the field and/or into a tighter window.

The idea of the tight window can often bog people down as they ask, “Why do you want your quarterback to make riskier throws?” But it’s less about taking a risk and more about executing a pass that perhaps makes up for a deficiency on the offense. If a receiver can only create a tiny window of separation and the quarterback can put the ball in an optimum spot, he’s now created a big-play opportunity despite the receiver, not because of him. “Throwing receivers open” is a necessary skill at the NFL level, and big-time throws are just one way to capture it statistically. Sometimes difficult throws are necessary, because every offense will end up in unfavorable down-and-distance situations at times, and completing a regulation 3-yard out doesn’t help on 3rd-and-15.

Furthermore, we may see big-time throws under heavy pressure, turning a negative play into a positive, making a tight-window throw in the red zone where all passing windows are compressed, or perhaps throwing the beautiful 50-yard bomb down the field with good ball location. Hitting receivers #InStride is also important and more difficult to achieve the further the ball is thrown down the field. Well-thrown downfield passes that allow for further catch-and-run opportunities fall into the big-time throw category.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Bugeaters1 said:

What's the deal with Dirk tweeting about Adrian's ACL today? did anyone else see the the tweet?

I did. 

He was simply saying the only way the day could have been worse for the offense is if AM would have blown an ACL. People freaked out.