You heard it here first

Norm Peterson

Adrian Martinez is the best passing dual-threat QB we've ever had.

Taylor Martinez's best single season completion percentage: 62.7% as a senior; 6.1 yards per attempt

Brook Berringer's best single season completion percentage: 62.3% as a junior; 8.6 yards per attempt

Keithen McCant's best single season completion percentage: 57.7% as a senior; 8.7 yards per attempt

Tommie Frazier's best single season completion percentage: 56.4% as a senior; 9.3 yards per attempt

Eric Crouch's best single season completion percentage: 55.6% as a senior; 8 yards per attempt

Turner Gill's best single season completion percentage:  55.3% as a senior; 9.5 yards per attempt

Scott Frost's best single season completion percentage: 55.3% as a senior; 7.8 yards per attempt

Adrian Martinez:  66.1%; 7.9 yards per attempt

* Minimum of 30 attempts

Edited by Norm Peterson

I would submit that Adrian Martinez could have effectively operated TO's offense, Solich's offense, and Pelini's offense.

I would further submit that the ONLY players on the above list who could have effectively operated Frost's offense are Berringer and McCant.

The other guys, as good as they were in the offenses they ran, were simply not accurate enough passers to run Frost's offense. 

Keep in mind a lot of Tommie Frazier's "completions" were shovel passes to a wingback or I-back up the middle -- basically runs that counted as passes because the ball was tossed forward a yard or two.  Most of our passing plays back in that era were designed to look like runs: Frazier fakes a handoff to the FB, runs down the line like a regular option run, then steps back and wings a ball to a wide-open tight end who no one picked up because they were loading up to stop the run.

In TO's, Frank's and Bo's offenses, the run game set up the passing game.  The QB was primarily an extra running back who needed to be able to get the ball to typically wide-open tight ends (who were generally underthrown on the play) when the safeties stacked the box to stop the run.

In Frost's offense, it's just the opposite.  Most of Adrian Martinez's carries are on plays that are designed to look like passes.  

I will throw one caveat, Adrian has at least one thing that the other QB's did not have.  Mario Veruzco appears to be pretty darn good at what he does.  Perhaps our other QB coaches were equally as good, but Mario seems to be an exceptional influence on Adrian's game.  Plus, you have Frost, who actually throws the ball better today, with Mario's influence, than he did when he was an active player.  But Frost seems to have some QB whisperer in him as well.

Point being, the other QB's mentioned perhaps could fit into the current system, IF, they had access to the same coaching.

Edited by Huskerpapa

28 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I would submit that Adrian Martinez could have effectively operated TO's offense, Solich's offense, and Pelini's offense.

I would further submit that the ONLY players on the above list who could have effectively operated Frost's offense are Berringer and McCant.

The other guys, as good as they were in the offenses they ran, were simply not accurate enough passers to run Frost's offense. 

Keep in mind a lot of Tommie Frazier's "completions" were shovel passes to a wingback or I-back up the middle -- basically runs that counted as passes because the ball was tossed forward a yard or two.  Most of our passing plays back in that era were designed to look like runs: Frazier fakes a handoff to the FB, runs down the line like a regular option run, then steps back and wings a ball to a wide-open tight end who no one picked up because they were loading up to stop the run.

In TO's, Frank's and Bo's offenses, the run game set up the passing game.  The QB was primarily an extra running back who needed to be able to get the ball to typically wide-open tight ends (who were generally underthrown on the play) when the safeties stacked the box to stop the run.

In Frost's offense, it's just the opposite.  Most of Adrian Martinez's carries are on plays that are designed to look like passes.  

And (I would guess) most of his passes are substitutes for runs (screens, quick outs, etc).  Until the two deep passes to Morgan on Saturday, I'm not sure he threw the ball more than ten yards downfield more than twice in that game (I'm guessing on this entirely). We don't throw it deep all that often.

He also gets credit for a pass completion on our jet sweeps when he tosses the ball one yard to JD Spielman.

That said, I agree with you, Norm.  This kid is special.  I kind of feel bad for the McCaffrey kid we're bringing in from Colorado next year.  He's going to sit for a while. And you're right that I think he's more versatile than most (or all) of our other guys. But something tells me Gill could be pretty special in Frost's offense.

And are those numbers you provided actually average per attempt, not completion? If so, Frazier nearly averaging ten yards per attempt being barely over 50% completion percentage is pretty damn impressive!

Edited by atskooc

Those numbers are yards/attempt, so yes Frazier nearly 10 yards/attempt is quite up there.  

Here's a video of Adrian throwing and running.  I don't think too many QBs on the above list would have been connecting on some of these throws and I don't think they would have been at all effective as pass-first QBs:

Edited by Norm Peterson

Name one guy on that list above you think would have been able to hit JD Spielman dead in stride on that 57 yard TD against Colorado (2:00 mark of the video).

Crap, watch the whole video and tell me which of our prior dual-threat QBs would have been making any of those throws.  Which of our prior dual-threat QBs had such big holes to run through because the defense had to respect their arms?

I'm saying none of them.

How many times over the years did you hear TV announcers say the defense was stacking the box, daring our QB to throw the ball and saying that our QBs weren't passing threats?  Like all the time.

AM is THE BEST passing dual-threat QB we've ever had.  And he's a damn good runner, too.  And he's a true freshman. ?

I was curious, so I looked up Frazier's stats.  This says the 9.3 is an "adjusted pass yards" stat (whatever that means), and that his yards per pass was 8.4 (still nothing to sneeze at).

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tommie-frazier-1.html

Still, this does nothing to disprove your claims that AM is (and certainly will be, barring injury) a stud in this (and in just about any) offense.  I'm really looking forward to watching this kid the next handful of years!

I want to emphasize that I do agree with Norm's assessment.  My hesitation about declaring him the best has more to do with not wanting to jinx him.  When he moves from here to the NFL we can look back and place ratings on his shoulders.  Until then, I am very comfortable enjoying what I am watching. 

I remember watching Turner hitting a number of passes to Fryer and Todd Brown, Anthony Steel, Jamie Williams and others.  But our claim to fame in those days was more of a power running "I" attack.  So things were different.  By the way, Gill had a back up QB that rarely played, and only completed 14 passes for Nebraska (his whole college career), yet was drafted by the NFL and played for five years...do you remember his name???

But again, AM is very special.  Dare I say, he is at risk of leaving early because of his talent.

38 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I want to emphasize that I do agree with Norm's assessment.  My hesitation about declaring him the best has more to do with not wanting to jinx him.  When he moves from here to the NFL we can look back and place ratings on his shoulders.  Until then, I am very comfortable enjoying what I am watching. 

I remember watching Turner hitting a number of passes to Fryer and Todd Brown, Anthony Steel, Jamie Williams and others.  But our claim to fame in those days was more of a power running "I" attack.  So things were different.  By the way, Gill had a back up QB that rarely played, and only completed 14 passes for Nebraska (his whole college career), yet was drafted by the NFL and played for five years...do you remember his name???

But again, AM is very special.  Dare I say, he is at risk of leaving early because of his talent.

Bruce Matheson.  Didn't have to look it up, either.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, this kid is good.  True freshman.  He's having far and away the best passing season of any dual threat QB we've ever had, behind possibly one of the worst O-lines. Not saying our O-line is horrible, but compared to past lines?

Think who Turner Gill had blocking for him:  The guy for whom the Remington Award is named; Dean Steinkuhler, the first guy to win the Outland and Lombardi in the same season.  Think who T Fraz and Berringer had blocking for them.  Like a who's who of Husker offensive linemen.

This kid is doing what he's doing with a porous line and only a couple of outstanding targets to throw to.  Amazing.

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Damn, this kid is good.  True freshman.  He's having far and away the best passing season of any dual threat QB we've ever had, behind possibly one of the worst O-lines. Not saying our O-line is horrible, but compared to past lines?

Think who Turner Gill had blocking for him:  The guy for whom the Remington Award is named; Dean Steinkuhler, the first guy to win the Outland and Lombardi in the same season.  Think who T Fraz and Berringer had blocking for them.  Like a who's who of Husker offensive linemen.

This kid is doing what he's doing with a porous line and only a couple of outstanding targets to throw to.  Amazing.

A true freshman that didn’t play his senior year of high school ball.  The sky is the limit for him. 

That incompletion he threw to J.D. could have/should have been a touchdown.  The ball was right there and J.D. simply misplayed it.  Man, that would have been huge. 

One has to wonder how many Ohio State fans watching that game yesterday would take AM over Haskins?  I know I would.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:35 AM, Norm Peterson said:

Updated A-Mart Stats:

SPLITS CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
This Game 22 33 266 66.7 8.06 46 1 0 1 144.4
Season 158 238 1922 66.4 8.08 75 12 6 16 145.8
Away  78 125 923 62.4 7.38 75 4 3 8 130.2
Conf 128 196 1522 65.3 7.77 75 9 4 12 141.6
November 22 33 266 66.7 8.06 46 1 0 1 144.4

Actually, I'm not sure my praise of Martinez has been effusive enough.  He's not just the best passing dual-threat QB we've ever had; he's maybe one of the best passing QBs of any stripe we've ever had.  Just ask Zac Taylor, Sam Keller and Joe Ganz:

Zac Taylor:

2005 Nebraska Big 12 JR QB 12 237 430 55.1 2653 6.2 5.8 19 12 115.9
*2006 Nebraska Big 12 SR QB 14 233 391 59.6 3197 8.2 8.6 26 8

Sam Keller:

SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT RAW QBR ADJ QBR
2007 205 325 2422 63.1 7.45 73 14 10 13 133.7 51.7 56.1

Joe Ganz:

SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT RAW QBR ADJ QBR
2006 7 13 122 53.8 9.39 31 3 0 2 208.8 99.3 98.8
2007 89 152 1435 58.6 9.44 62 16 7 5 163.4 78.8 85.3
2008 285 420 3568 67.9 8.50 69 25 11 21 153.6 64.5 68.5

Ganz had 420 passing attempts and only 21 sacks; A-Mart has been sacked 16 times on only 238 attempts. He's making some truly incredible throws across his body while running for his life.  I think pretty much everyone who's not on the Rivals board or who thinks Riley didn't get enough time can see this kid is truly special.

Updated stats for A-Mart:

This Game 24 34 290 70.6 8.53 37 3 1 3 165.5
Season 182 272 2212 66.9 8.13 75 15 7 19 148.3
Home 104 147 1289 70.7 8.77 67 11 4 11 163.7
Conf 152 230 1812 66.1 7.88 75 12 5 15 145.1
November 46 67 556 68.7 8.30 46 4 1 4 155.1

He's getting damn close to GOAT in the overall passing department as well.

Edited by Norm Peterson

Look at his November.  That includes a road game at Ohio State.  His numbers just keep improving.

If he does that against MSU and Iowa, we could very well be bowling.  And I'm not kidding about that.

If we manage to get past MSU, there will be a lot on the line when we travel to Iowa City at the end of this month.

26 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Updated stats for A-Mart:

This Game 24 34 290 70.6 8.53 37 3 1 3 165.5
Season 182 272 2212 66.9 8.13 75 15 7 19 148.3
Home 104 147 1289 70.7 8.77 67 11 4 11 163.7
Conf 152 230 1812 66.1 7.88 75 12 5 15 145.1
November 46 67 556 68.7 8.30 46 4 1 4 155.1

He's getting damn close to GOAT in the overall passing department as well.

I love the graphic, Normy.

What are 2AM's splits for away games only?

29 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Look at his November.  That includes a road game at Ohio State.  His numbers just keep improving.

If he does that against MSU and Iowa, we could very well be bowling.  And I'm not kidding about that.

If we manage to get past MSU, there will be a lot on the line when we travel to Iowa City at the end of this month.

It will be hard, if not impossible for us to make a bowl game.  For example, I believe both Minnesota and Illinois already have 5 wins.  The bowl committee's then look at (I believe it is graduation progress rates) and both of those schools currently are rated higher than Nebraska.  So it is an exceptional goal to work towards, but reaching that outcome will prove difficult at best.