Secret Scrimmage vs Iowa St

hhcmatt

18 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Didn't Jacobson transfer AFTER Ed did?

Jacobson was shopping around before Ed transferred. The staff found out after a school contacted them about MJ, not from MJ.

Pretty sure Ed wanted to transfer after his freshman year. I suspect his thoughts on whether to stay or go were as consistent as the Nebraska weather.

3 hours ago, nustudent said:

Didn't Jacobson transfer AFTER Ed did?

And I think the part about not thinking we were good is pretty close.   It's a lot easier to accept your role, if its less than you want, when you are on a good team.  When you think you can do more and are asked to do less and the team sucks as a result...that usually doesn't end well.

The person who told me this is very reliable.  Yes, MJ left after Ed.  But his trust in the staff was broken due to the handling of the playing situation, hence the transfer.

11 minutes ago, trickey said:

I have absolutely no insider info, but sensed MJ and Ed were full of fear.

They had been practicing with Copeland and Palmer all year.  

With knowledge their playing times were going down if they stayed here,

They both felt it's better to disappear.

Considering their choices of where to transfer....the fear excuse doesn't match up.   They transferred to better programs (which generally means better talent) at the time they left.

They would've gone mid-major if they were scared of talent and wanted a guaranteed starting job

9 hours ago, nustudent said:

Considering their choices of where to transfer....the fear excuse doesn't match up.   They transferred to better programs (which generally means better talent) at the time they left.

They would've gone mid-major if they were scared of talent and wanted a guaranteed starting job

Well, the nation's opinion of a "better program" may not match-up with insider's information.

They aren't mid major talent...they're just not equal to Palmer and Copeland.

As a GM would you give up Palmer and Copeland to get them back?

5 hours ago, trickey said:

Well, the nation's opinion of a "better program" may not match-up with insider's information.

They aren't mid major talent...they're just not equal to Palmer and Copeland.

As a GM would you give up Palmer and Copeland to get them back?

What does Palmer have to do with their playing time? Jacobson/Morrow spent a majority of their career playing at center and probably would still be doing. 

2 minutes ago, khoock said:

What does Palmer have to do with their playing time? Jacobson/Morrow spent a majority of their career playing at center and probably would still be doing. 

Does that put them ahead of Roby?

Or are they sitting at tip-off?

Are they in the starting 5?

That is what I think they may have feared.

Jeriah Horne had 7 pts in 23 minutes in his debut for Tulsa. Why post here? He was part of the Jacobson/Morrow/Horne/McVeigh logjam at 4 in 2016-17 with Roby and Copeland (who was redshirting). Somebody had Horne as a top 150 recruit, and he got some good offers (Minnesota, ISU), but I never thought he was a good fit for a bigtime program. Too small to play 4, too slow to play wing. Tulsa seems like a good fit, hope he does well.

40 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Yep.

Their competition was Jordy, who they were both better than.

Well.  Hindsight is 20/20.  I, for one, made my list of starters for the following season before either of them announced they were transferring, and I didn't have either of them in my starting 5.  I posted it in this forum so you can go back and look if you don't believe me.

Jordy was coming on strong the end of the season.  He was bigger and longer than either Jacobson or Morrow, and you could reasonably have anticipated a step forward by Jordy from his freshman to sophomore years.  The fact that improvement didn't materialize wasn't something those two could have anticipated when they decided to leave.  What they had to go on was Jordy getting more minutes at the end of his freshman year and looking like the guy to beat going into the following season.

1 hour ago, khoock said:

Is Palmer a wing or a shooting guard?  Roby doesn't play wing if Palmer's there.  Palmer only moves to shooting guard and Roby to wing if you have two players who bring more to the court on the front line.  If you don't, then Palmer stays at wing and Roby at the 4.

2 hours ago, nustudent said:

Yep.

Their competition was Jordy, who they were both better than.

Not sure they saw it that way. I might be mistaken but I think when Ed came back from injury and Miles kept starting Jordy, Ed was gone. Probably thought with Cope / Roby he was not starting at the 4 either. Think it is safe to say one of the two would be a big contributor and one probably still not happy. I personally would have kept MJ with what we have now.

Just just thinking about this today.

If it was the 70s - 80s Ed Morrow would be a Carl McPipe type All-Big 8 player.  In today's game he's a 6'7" post player who you can't play with any taller post players unless those guys can pop 3s.  MJ as a 35-40% 3pt shooter would have still started every game as a sophomore for us but we wouldn't have lost 19 of them. He was a career 20% shooter here.

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:46 PM, trickey said:

I have absolutely no insider info, but sensed MJ and Ed were full of fear.

They had been practicing with Copeland and Palmer all year.  

With knowledge their playing times were going down if they stayed here,

They both felt it's better to disappear.

I get what you're saying:

You sensed Mike and Ed full of fear

Having seen Cope and Palmer all year

With playing time down

If they stuck around

Both felt it best to disappear

My thought is MJ is the type of kid that always finds playing time...you can line him up in a gym and he might get picked later than most, but as a coach, a guy that boxes out, rebounds, and does the little things...always ends up getting playing time.

It would be fabulous to have him for 20 minutes a game for us this year.

1 hour ago, Blindcheck said:

My thought is MJ is the type of kid that always finds playing time...you can line him up in a gym and he might get picked later than most, but as a coach, a guy that boxes out, rebounds, and does the little things...always ends up getting playing time.

It would be fabulous to have him for 20 minutes a game for us this year.

Except that there is more to a player than what they do on the floor. MJ and Ed were not good teammates in the locker room and I'm not just talking about the fact they left. Team chemistry is important and those two were problems off the court.

23 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Except that there is more to a player than what they do on the floor. MJ and Ed were not good teammates in the locker room and I'm not just talking about the fact they left. Team chemistry is important and those two were problems off the court.

Dean, what did you hear about MJ?  I know the issues with Ed, but I was unaware of any chemistry or team first issues with MJ.  All of this is water under the bridge, but I always liked MJ and the effort that he put forth.

11 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Dean, what did you hear about MJ?  I know the issues with Ed, but I was unaware of any chemistry or team first issues with MJ.  All of this is water under the bridge, but I always liked MJ and the effort that he put forth.

What I have is hearsay so it wouldn't hold up in court but I think there was some resentment and envy from both MJ and Ed vs each other, vs Jordy, vs Copeland knowing what he was probably going to do the next season as well as not happy with all the "Roby doesn't know how good he can be" talk. Maybe if Ed would have been taken out of the picture earlier, MJ could have been good for the Huskers. There is always such a delicate balance in team sports with all the attitudes and personal perspectives. I think our football team is a great example that addition by subtraction is a real thing.

Edited by Dean Smith

33 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I think it's important to make a distinction between "problems off the court" and team chemistry. If either of these 2 came to Lincoln they would have a place to stay and there would be no ill-will. However I will agree with you that attitudes may have been problematic and had an effect when it came to on-the-court basketball.