Secret Scrimmage vs Iowa St

hhcmatt

1 minute ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Should we be concerned about Roby’s nagging injury? Not so much talking about the scrimmage but more so his quotes in the OWH article this morning. This does not sound like something that will be going away and it sounds like it will effect his play.

At first I wondered if he had even played, so yes, this is a lingering concern.

Just now, huskerbaseball13 said:

Should we be concerned about Roby’s nagging injury? Not so much talking about the scrimmage but more so his quotes in the OWH article this morning. This does not sound like something that will be going away and it sounds like it will effect his play.

Yes, we should be concerned.   One's heel is kinda important in the sport of basketball. 

22 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Roby and Copeland will probably be a concern the entire year.  I think about last year's Minnesota team every time I dare to dream about the Sweet 16.

47 minutes ago, HB said:

Yes, we should be concerned.   One's heel is kinda important in the sport of basketball. 

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/yes-isaiah-roby-knows-it-too-husker-has-nba-potential/article_aeba3f20-edaf-5746-be14-c980d224c010.html

this goes into more detail about what Roby is dealing with for injury

Good stuff here from Roby:

Miles said he’ll cross the NBA bridge with Roby when they come to it. But that won’t stop the buzz that will follow Roby this season. Some projections have him as one of the top prospects in the 2018 draft class.

None of that is on Roby’s mind now. What he wants is an NCAA tournament win. It’s what he came to Nebraska for, he said.

“I’m 0 for 2 right now. I’ve got 2 more chances,” Roby said. “We’re not a powerhouse school obviously, we don’t have that good of history, but I’m trying to start something new here. I’m trying to spark something here for Nebraska and that’s something we all want to do.”

Edited by ConkintheCorner

Consider me concerned. Plantar is not something that goes away quickly or easily. Anyone remember Marcus Perry? He battled plantar his entire senior year at NU and if I recall he almost never practiced that whole year and simply played in games when he could.  

Roby has had numerous nagging injuries since the day he stepped foot on campus and such injuries may just be his kryptonite. Hopefully he can shake it and be at full health the rest of the season but not off to a good start. 

Edited by NUdiehard

20 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

Consider me concerned. Plantar is not something that goes away quickly or easily. Anyone remember Marcus Perry? He battled plantar his entire senior year at NU and if I recall he almost never practiced that whole year and simply played in games when he could.  

Roby has had numerous nagging injuries since the day he stepped foot on campus and such injuries may just be his kryptonite. Hopefully he can shake it and be at full health the rest of the season but not off to a good start. 

It’s really a bummer that we may never see a 100% Roby.  And we can’t really afford him to miss any time being that we have no depth at the 5.  Hopefully they can get him healed up and ready to go by Seton Hall. 

40 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

That couldn't have anything to do with his low usage rate, could it?

11 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

That couldn't have anything to do with his low usage rate, could it?

I doubt it I think it would be much more likely to affect minutes than usage rate. What would be the difference in how much pain he's having when he has the ball compared to when he doesn't?

4 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

and was tasked with checking kevin durant.  That wasn't a particularly good matchup.  

box score 2.PNG

This is one way to break down our depth chart based on this scrimmage and what I know.  It's not all encompassing as Allen is probably in the mix for PG for example.

image.png

• We never seem to start a season with the team looking very sharp.  Looking at this sheet with the guys you'd expect to be playing, taking shots, etc shows me that at least to start we're a team that has a lot figured out already because of last year and that was a team that almost made the tourney.
  • I've seen Amir Harris play a bit and I think he's going to be very good finishing around the rim, will facilitate well, and is going to be very good for us with that length.  He seems to have a high basketball IQ as well.  That being said he's currently a freshman who does freshman things and that is why it should be no surprise that the very good Thomas Allen looks like our 5th starter to begin the season. 
  • Roby is still the 4th or 5th option on this team offensively.  On the nights where someone decides to take away Palmer or Copeland or Watson would be the nights where he needs to step up.
  • Tanner was never going to have the physical gifts of Jordy but easily was and is a better basketball player. Offensively he's always going to be an afterthought but he knows how to score and he's not going to brick those bunnies.  He's gone from 275->265->250#. Does he now have enough speed/quickness to play serviceable D?
  • After spending last year planted on the bench we needed to see something from Nana and/or Thorir.  Looks like Nana with his size is slotting in at the 3 (and maybe 4 if needed) whereas Thorir currently isn't cracking the guard rotation. 
  • I would think of Chan as an incoming freshman in terms of projections and it would seem that Brady's combination of skill and size is ahead of him on the depth chart

Caveat to anything here: last year Jack McVeigh poured in 17 points including 5-5 3pt shooting and spent most of the season on the bench.

Looks like Amir got into a bit of foul trouble along with Isaiah. That along with zero shots.  But hey, it was only a scrimmage.  If Thor doesn't get minutes this year, I would suggest he may end up being a transfer candidate.  But hey, it was only a scrimmage and he has a lot of time left to earn floor time.  I will be interested in seeing Chan on Wednesday.  Does he have the ability to earn floor time?