Secret Scrimmage vs Iowa St

hhcmatt

2 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Any buzz about Chan or Thorir being hurt? Seems strange they wouldn't play in a scrimmage that doesn't count, unless there's just no chance they'll get meaningful minutes during the year. 

Not that I have heard. Just by looking at the box scores it looks as if both teams treated it like a real game (minutes and rotation wise). 

Probably wont see much of them unless youre at fan day or the exhibition game.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

box score 2.PNG

A few things that popped out to me...

1.  We managed to cut a 24 point deficit to 14 in 4:24 seconds.  I am sure ISU was playing out of their minds for us to get down by 24.  I don't think they'll be a terrible team this year.

2.  Was a little disappointed in our 34% 3 point FG percentage.  Then I noticed Watson and Palmer were a combined 2/11 (18%).  Rest of team was 7/15 (46%).  That's (Palmer and Watson) not going to happen a lot of times I wouldn't think.

3.  Only got to the line 11 times.  Means we may have settled for a lot of jump shots.

4.  Starters- 55 points.  Bench- 19 points.

5.  Glynn's stat line, minus the poor 3 point shooting, was really good.  Assists and steals to TO's was very good.

Not a whole lot you can take from a scrimmage where you couldn't even watch the game.

Gotta be a little bit concerned about Glynn's shooting percentage.  I was hoping that last year would be an aberration and we would see exponential improvement.  But again, it is an early scrimmage and sometimes it takes a bit of time for the shots to fall against real competition.  

2 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Gotta be a little bit concerned about Glynn's shooting percentage.  I was hoping that last year would be an aberration and we would see exponential improvement.  But again, it is an early scrimmage and sometimes it takes a bit of time for the shots to fall against real competition.  

It looks like he was confident.  Sometimes last year, I think he seemed a little hesitant because things weren't falling.  You gotta hope they fall sometime right?

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Oh no! Not exponential shooting percentage improvement again!

Another interesting note to keep in mind when digesting this scrimmage is that both coaching staffs implement a lot of situational stuff and go as far as stopping in the middle of play to coach their respective teams or point out certain things. This is all per Robin Washut from a segment on 1620 today.

Listening to Greg talk with Coach Lewis, I thought this was an interesting quote.

"They (Iowa State) wanted to zero out the score.  I don't know why.  If we didn't zero out the score, then we probably would have dome some different things in the second half rather than try and protect a 14 point lead."

Just goes to show that they really did take it as two different situations and the overall final score wasn't every really brought up until the media brought it up.

And as long as we are talking what could/should/might have been, get this from last night in Wisconsin:

"Morrow playing only 6 and a half minutes and ending up with 0 points and 0 rebounds. Before the pre-season, I figured he'd be #3 or #4 in mpg and possibly be our #3 scorer. Here's a guy who averaged 9.4 ppg and 7.5 rpg two years ago in the Big 14. I never, anticipated he'd get fewer than 10 minutes in even one game the entire season, let alone fewer than 7 minutes."

MJ transferred, at least in part, because he thought he was getting a raw deal from the staff.  He thought he earned playing time over Ed, but the coaches thought they needed to play Ed when they could in order to keep him happy.  Ed was somewhat of a diva, so in trying to placate Ed, they lost both players.  I think Ed likely had more talent, but MJ had more heart and was the better grinder.  MJ may have been one of the better offensive rebounders in the conference as a sophomore.

20 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

MJ transferred, at least in part, because he thought he was getting a raw deal from the staff.  He thought he earned playing time over Ed, but the coaches thought they needed to play Ed when they could in order to keep him happy.  Ed was somewhat of a diva, so in trying to placate Ed, they lost both players.  I think Ed likely had more talent, but MJ had more heart and was the better grinder.  MJ may have been one of the better offensive rebounders in the conference as a sophomore.

Didn't Jacobson transfer AFTER Ed did?

And I think the part about not thinking we were good is pretty close.   It's a lot easier to accept your role, if its less than you want, when you are on a good team.  When you think you can do more and are asked to do less and the team sucks as a result...that usually doesn't end well.