2019 PF Zane Meeks -> Nevada

hhcmatt

52 minutes ago, khoock said:

Who ever we get they need to be able to contribute immediately.

Ideally i would like a freshman and a grad transfer big to throw in with Roby (hopefully!), Brady, and Akol.

Akol won't play the 4 or 5 correct?  He will be a college wing?  Not sure, just asking.

6 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Akol won't play the 4 or 5 correct?  He will be a college wing?  Not sure, just asking.

I would highly doubt he ever plays the 5. He has the length and athleticism to play 4 (making up for the inch or two he lacks in height). Might not have the strength his freshman year though. I project him as a 3/4. But might start off solely on the wing if hes not strong/heavy enough his first year.

There are probably a few ppl on here who would have a better idea on this though so i will defer to them.

Edited by khoock

For prep he plays mainly post against so so competition. On his AAU team he plays a lot of wing it sounds like and that’s what drew him all the offer this summer. Ideally for us he can hold his own at the 3 and 4. Probably not the 5.  It sounded like he shot the 3 really well this summer so that’s encouraging  

16 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

For prep he plays mainly post against so so competition. On his AAU team he plays a lot of wing it sounds like and that’s what drew him all the offer this summer. Ideally for us he can hold his own at the 3 and 4. Probably not the 5.  It sounded like he shot the 3 really well this summer so that’s encouraging  

He still played the post for OSA and did a pretty good job of holding his own against bigger guys, sometimes much bigger. Aurora's Baylor Scheierman, who signed with South Dakota State, was the tallest player on that team at 6'6" or so and he's a point guard. Akol got really hot in the last few weeks of July and his 3-point percentage spiked form that stretch. 

• 4 weeks later...

So have we offered this guy and I missed it or just had him in on an unofficial? I see he had 20 points in a game like a week ago but not sure how much playing time he gets since Brewster is loaded. 

he knows how to shoot it that’s for sure. I see Wisconsin had a thread on a blog about him. Would hate to see him go up there. 

8 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm guessing we must not be interested.  The guy has great skills but must be limited athletically.  And you can kind of see that in his hudl video.  He's 6'9" but seems to get just high enough to dunk when he dunks.  Probably isn't going to be switching screens at the next level and guarding wings on the perimeter.

That was kinda my guess as I watched the limited film on him. I couldn’t even find a ranking on him between rivals or 24/7 so that was surprising. Hopefully we keep an eye on him as his offensive game is essentially perfect for what we are trying to do. 

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

That would be my question: what can he do defensively? If he can't guard big 10 PFs he's not going to play here 

I've seen some tape of Brewster this year and he doesn't seem like he could handle big ten bigs.

His offense translates, but he would get eaten alive defensively. At least that's what I can tell

9 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

That would be my question: what can he do defensively? If he can't guard big 10 PFs he's not going to play here 

Ya my fear is he’s basically another jack. Woulda been a good guy to take a flyer on last class imo but not really what we need to be looking at for these last two spots this year

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • hhcmatt changed the title to 2019 PF Zane Meeks -> Nevada