2019 PF Zane Meeks -> Nevada

hhcmatt

Seems like this guy is going to blow up real quick. Averaged 16.5 and 6.6 last year in his high school in Kansas. I’m assuming he was back for fall break from Brewster which explains the unofficial. Will get a lot of attention at Brewster this season. Not sure how you can be 6’9 and play enough to get 16 points a game but only average 6.5 rbs.

Oh man. I am in.  The dude can shoot the ball.  He looks like he would be a great fit in our offense.  He appears to be a high post type of fit.  Screen and pop outside for the three.  He elevates well and, did I mention, he can shoot the ball.  Didn't see him work the post, but he appears to have the body to do so.  So yeah, I am in.

According to Verbal Commits, we'd be his only P5 offer.  If we've offered, and I can't tell for sure if we have or not.

He has two offers from the Ivies (Dartmouth and Columbia) plus the AF Academy, so he must be really smart.

He can shoot the hell out of the ball.  Great range and he gets rid of the ball quickly.  Seems to have good court vision and feel for the game.  Makes some good passes; finds holes in the defense to make himself available for the pass.

Not 100% sure on his athleticism.  Question his quicks and straight-line speed.  Although in one clip on the Hudl video posted above, he gets airborne and makes a pretty impressive block of a jump shot and then gets down the floor to receive a pass in transition for a dunk.

But just looking at his video, he has the size to play inside on D and stretch the floor on O.

He's from Kansas, so we'd be close to home.  He's like the Mike Daum we didn't take. Don't make that mistake again.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:20 PM, cjbowbros said:

Seems like this guy is going to blow up real quick. Averaged 16.5 and 6.6 last year in his high school in Kansas. I’m assuming he was back for fall break from Brewster which explains the unofficial. Will get a lot of attention at Brewster this season. Not sure how you can be 6’9 and play enough to get 16 points a game but only average 6.5 rbs.

Because he's launching 3-point daggers instead of hanging out around the lane getting offensive putbacks.

13 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

According to Verbal Commits, we'd be his only P5 offer.  If we've offered, and I can't tell for sure if we have or not.

He has two offers from the Ivies (Dartmouth and Columbia) plus the AF Academy, so he must be really smart.

He can shoot the hell out of the ball.  Great range and he gets rid of the ball quickly.  Seems to have good court vision and feel for the game.  Makes some good passes; finds holes in the defense to make himself available for the pass.

Not 100% sure on his athleticism.  Question his quicks and straight-line speed.  Although in one clip on the Hudl video posted above, he gets airborne and makes a pretty impressive block of a jump shot and then gets down the floor to receive a pass in transition for a dunk.

But just looking at his video, he has the size to play inside on D and stretch the floor on O.

He's from Kansas, so we'd be close to home.  He's like the Mike Daum we didn't take. Don't make that mistake again.

I like the Mike Daum comparison, under recruited, great looking shot. We need a big, lets get him signed up.

He had a foot issue in July so no AAU exposure then.  Thus, the move to Brewster.

As you can see from the Ivy League school offers he's a pretty bright kid.

If we had offered him I think it would be public. With no scholarships available for 2020 are we in a position to offer anyone a 2019 schollie?  We very well can go over the limit but in the Miles era we haven't with our offers.

21 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Sort of a Conklin-type it appears. And don't forget Ubel, Shields, and Parker were all from KC so we have some past history there.

His stroke is pretty similar to Conklin, actually.  And, if you're going to model your shooting stroke off of anyone, there are certainly worse models to choose than Brian Conklin.

On 10/22/2018 at 9:44 AM, Norm Peterson said:

On 10/20/2018 at 8:20 PM, cjbowbros said:

Because he's launching 3-point daggers instead of hanging out around the lane getting offensive putbacks.

That is a pretty good explanation I didn't have any video to go on at first. But still he should be grabbing everything on defense unless Kansas basketball is more competitive than I think. I'm just thinking about Brady I know he was in class B but the dude had like 11 boards a game and he's not a huge guy weight wise. 

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:20 PM, cjbowbros said:

As a junior, he helped Blue Valley West to the first round of the state tournament and a 15-8 record while posting nearly 16 points and six rebounds per game.

Okay, this bio isn't from Zane Meek's bio, since he went to Shawnee Mission East in suburban Kansas City, Kansas and not Blue Valley West in suburban Kansas City, Kansas, and Shawnee Mission East went 14-10 and not 15-8.  This is from Brandon Ubel's bio.

On 10/25/2018 at 6:57 PM, Dead Dog Alley said:

As a junior, he helped Blue Valley West to the first round of the state tournament and a 15-8 record while posting nearly 16 points and six rebounds per game.

Okay, this bio isn't from Zane Meek's bio, since he went to Shawnee Mission East in suburban Kansas City, Kansas and not Blue Valley West in suburban Kansas City, Kansas, and Shawnee Mission East went 14-10 and not 15-8.  This is from Brandon Ubel's bio.

I can't decide if your joking or not? I got that from someone else's article so if that's true I'm not going down for this! ?

1 hour ago, cjbowbros said:

I can't decide if your joking or not? I got that from someone else's article so if that's true I'm not going down for this! ?

The point was that Meeks' junior averages were about the same as Ubel's junior averages, in similar sized schools in Kansas City.  So - it's very possible he's at a similar talent level as Ubel.  And if we could have added a junior or senior Brandon Ubel type of player to this year's roster...

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

• 3 weeks later...