Pssst! A Really Secret Scrimmage, Sat, 10/27, Huskers hosting AZ State

Red Don

I may have missed it but I haven't seen anything posted about a 'Secret Scrimmage' this year.  (IIRC We played Iowa State, last year, reportedly coming within 2 pts, 64-62).  There were some reports  Coach Amy mentioned a scrimmage with ASU in a radio interview. 

(Apparently,  So secret no one knows when, where, who, or even whether. :Stickouttongue:)

Edited by Red Don

Here is a little more info on the "Secret Scrimmage."

10/23/18

Nebraska will get another gauge of where it’s at with a closed scrimmage against Arizona State later this week. This is unique, playing a team from so far away, and also the same team Nebraska played in the NCAA Tournament last season, when Arizona State won 73-62, but the plan was for the teams to scrimmage even before they got matched up in the NCAA Tournament.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/more-than-fans-show-up-for-first-look-at-nebraska/article_2cf6a693-b11b-5be7-8262-97be792cbdc9.html

Edited by Red Don

11 minutes ago, HUD said:

Amy Williams talks about the ASU scrimmage in a video put out by the Lincoln Journal within the last 2 hours.  Sorry but don't know how to post it here.  It's interesting and about 10 minutes long.  Had good things to say about Mershon.

i'll see if I can find it.

On 10/29/2018 at 5:54 PM, HUD said:

Amy Williams talks about the ASU scrimmage in a video put out by the Lincoln Journal within the last 2 hours.  Sorry but don't know how to post it here.  It's interesting and about 10 minutes long.  Had good things to say about Mershon.

As i recall Mershon had some higher level play experience, not just club team stuff.  Right off the top of my head, don't recall what it was. National level play of some sort? Thought that was impressive at the time.

Sounds like she'll be a factor pretty quickly.

Edited by redsteve

Here is some more information on the Secret Scrimmage.  Hat Tip to eagle-eye @redsteve who found this in the OWH!

In a secret scrimmage against Arizona State, for example, Veerbeek led all Huskers in rebounds. Brown was the leading scorer. And Mershon emerged as the game’s “top dog,” an award patterned after the multiple contributions of Golden State Warriors star Draymond Green.

» Arizona State won the secret scrimmage 66-57, but only outrebounded Nebraska by three, Williams said, which was a “significant improvement” over the NCAA tournament loss to the Sun Devils.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/womens-basketball/amy-williams-wants-four-husker-freshmen-to-be-major-contributors/article_5cb3ff13-fc96-550c-82d5-dbbe43b66578.html