One-and-Done Going Away?

Donkey

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25015812/g-league-offer-professional-path-elite-prospects-not-wanting-go-one-done-route-ncaa

This could wreak havoc on college basketball rosters.  Its not clear whether these contracts are available to kids who have already signed their LOI.  Picture Kentucky signing a full class in November only to lose them all to the G League (plus other players declaring early).  That being said, I think this route is the right way to go.

8 minutes ago, Donkey said:

Picture Kentucky signing a full class in November only to lose them all to the G League (plus other players declaring early).

Turner said the league will not pursue those players who have already committed to colleges, but the professional path would be an alternative to those prospects who make a choice on their own to decommit. Turner also said the G League will be selective with the players they look to bring into the program -- with a strong emphasis on character and readiness to join a pro league.

It looks like they will try to keep people from waffling between the G-League and NCAA.

In theory it will steer some of the guys who want to be paid a lot to play out of the NCAA. (The G-League wouldn't pay a guy like Elbert Robinson to go there but someone in the $EC might)

One and done factories like Kentucky and Duke will need to change their strategies. 

The other thing I have heard mentioned is that players will have a hard life in the G league. Taking overnight bus trips to get to games, playing in small high school sized gyms with no fans in them, and never being on tv. The contrary to that is playing at a blue blood in college where you will have a chartered plane every game, playing in front of 10-15k fans every night, and having the opportunity for national media attention.

Even if a player going to college is not getting paid, they still are going to be living comfortable lives with high end housing paid for, the best food you can get, and all of the gear you could ever want.

There will be some players who will go this route, but there are a lot of reasons why the top players would still want to go to college. And that’s looking at it before the fact a lot of the top guys are getting paid anyways.

8 hours ago, noahjb24 said:

Rule needs to be that you can go straight to the NBA draft from high school if you want, but if not you have to go to atleast two years of NCAA.

Yeah, something like that. Both football & baseball have 3 years of college as a minimum basis. Basketball is a different animal entirely, though. We'll have to wait & see how this ruling affects the NBA draft restrictions going forward.

2 hours ago, nuhusker7 said:

The other thing I have heard mentioned is that players will have a hard life in the G league. Taking overnight bus trips to get to games, playing in small high school sized gyms with no fans in them, and never being on tv. The contrary to that is playing at a blue blood in college where you will have a chartered plane every game, playing in front of 10-15k fans every night, and having the opportunity for national media attention.

Even if a player going to college is not getting paid, they still are going to be living comfortable lives with high end housing paid for, the best food you can get, and all of the gear you could ever want.

There will be some players who will go this route, but there are a lot of reasons why the top players would still want to go to college. And that’s looking at it before the fact a lot of the top guys are getting paid anyways.

During the TNT NBA TV broadcast, it was mentioned than Furkan Korkmaz at 15 years old was paid $250,000 to play basketball. Methinks $125,000 won't phase a lot of stateside ballers....

9 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Basketball is a different animal entirely, though.

Some day, when we all have much more time, this would be a subject worth discussing.  Basketball is different due to various reasons, some controllable others not.  But part of the reason that it may be different is because adults, placed in the position of trust, are corrupt or can be corrupted.  This goes on, to some extent, in other sports as well, but basketball seems to be the most visible.

Saying "NO" seems to be more and more difficult these days.

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Some day, when we all have much more time, this would be a subject worth discussing.  Basketball is different due to various reasons, some controllable others not.  But part of the reason that it may be different is because adults, placed in the position of trust, are corrupt or can be corrupted.  This goes on, to some extent, in other sports as well, but basketball seems to be the most visible.

Saying "NO" seems to be more and more difficult these days.

Just an observation but in basketball, you get a quicker return on your money so to speak. You're only sending out 5 players at a time. If I buy three studs then I can compete nationally surrounding them with the other players I got legitimately. A big three seems to be the standard needed for real success in the NBA today. I buy three football players and for the most part that just means that those three get the shit kicked out them every Saturday. Football brings in more money but its about the numbers. If you want to be successful using questionable means in football you need more money to get more players. If by any means necessary I get three top 20 players to commit to a school like Dayton, Cleveland State or Cadwallader University (Fast Break is a very underappreciated bad basketball movie),  they are now nationally relevant and that means they are now bringing in big money.  

Nothing to do with the post but explains my Cadwallader University reference.