Coaches Rank Nebraska 9th Best Job in the Big Ten

HuskerFever

I'm skeptical on what/who qualifies as "coaches" in this poll and how many people actually responded, but in terms of "beat job in the Big Ten," Nebraska was ranked 9 out of 14. Also, apparently there's nothing to do in Nebraska, so kudos to everyone in the state who does nothing very well:

https://watchstadium.com/news/big-ten-basketball-coaches-rank-the-best-jobs-in-the-conference-10-11-2018/

Conference-Chain-Big-Ten-1024x576.jpg.we

9. Nebraska (54) – The good news?  The Cornhuskers have big-time facilities. The bad?  There’s virtually no players in the state. Nebraska has been to the NCAA tourney just seven times in all, and just once since 1998. It’s a football school for sure, and it’s a tough job to be the Nebraska men’s basketball coach.

Where they win: “The facilities are ridiculous. You can make a case that they are the best in the league. Fans also show up – because there’s nothing else to do in Lincoln.” – Big Ten head coach 

The knock: “There’s no players in the state, and probably just the perception of the state of Nebraska.” – Big Ten assistant

Surprised we were ranked over Iowa in terms of recruiting base. McCaffery's kids alone would be a major contributor to the number of 4 star kids this state has produced.

16 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

The knock: “There’s no players in the state, and probably just the perception of the state of Nebraska.” – Big Ten assistant

Simple math on the players: we're a small population state surrounded by other small population states.

The perception is something that we can work on though

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

That's not bad, B1G basketball has some pretty good fanbases

Our students have been really sub par for a while now.  Hopefully the excitement of the upcoming season will help bring them out because (at least in terms of student sections - which accounts for the majority of hoops arenas' "atmosphere") being rated as high as 6th would be a very big stretch for our student section.

Izzone

Maize Rage

Maryland student section

Crimson Guard

Paint Crew

Orange Crush

all are much more impressive than our Red Zone

Arguments could be made for the Barnyard, Grateful Red and Nut House to all be better as well.

6 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

That's not bad, B1G basketball has some pretty good fanbases

Part of atmosphere, from a coach's standpoint in answering the question, includes intimidation. We have a pretty polite crowd in comparison to some other places. And let's be honest, we're probably easier to take out of the game than the crowd at a school that's had a lot more success and expects to win. So, yeah, 6th isn't bad.

IDK, I've been to a handful of places and frankly, since we've moved to PBA, the fans have been really good. Like, really, really good. I've watched a lot of games the past couple years and paid specific attention to how the fans are and there are a lot of places that sit on their hands more than NU, even at "elite" schools. The games where the whole arena is crazy, including student sections, for a whole game are the exception, rather than the rule. I think we've got a little bit of a familiarity breeds contempt situation here. Just about every place is gonna be good to great in big moments and for big games, and even there, PBA holds its own.

Sadly, the "Barnyard" has been taken by the Gopher fans since Williams arena is the "Barn", check out all the kids dress up like farm animals. And what's with this "perception" of Nebraska? Do they think it's a Hee Haw re-run with Lulu poppin' up from behind the corn? Anywhere from Ohio west to the Rockies looks PRETTY much the same... Winning tho my friends, Winning cures all ills.

I love PBA and think the atmosphere is good; much better than before.    Having said that, there are places that are like "No Sit Sunday" virtually every game.   This doesn't relate to the Big 10, but once you've gone to a game in Allen Field House in Lawrence, you can see that we're a long way from that standard.   I've been to several games there in the past 5 years (and will take in KU-Stanford on 12/1), and the atmosphere is just incredible.   And I'm not even a KU fan (Sorry, Jimmy).  

20 minutes ago, HB said:

I love PBA and think the atmosphere is good; much better than before.    Having said that, there are places that are like "No Sit Sunday" virtually every game.   This doesn't relate to the Big 10, but once you've gone to a game in Allen Field House in Lawrence, you can see that we're a long way from that standard.   I've been to several games there in the past 5 years (and will take in KU-Stanford on 12/1), and the atmosphere is just incredible.   And I'm not even a KU fan (Sorry, Jimmy).  

Kansas is a unicorn. You can count the places like that on one hand.

BTP Roundtable: Reacting To Stadium’s Big Ten Coaching Rankings

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2018/10/12/17967346/btp-roundtable-reacting-to-stadium-big-ten-head-coach-program-job-rankings

"But in 10 years, I absolutely think some teams could move. The school I would look at the most is Nebraska. While Tim Miles has only had mixed results in Lincoln, the program is oozing with potential. We hear about the recruiting difficulties there, but the fan support is incredible and the arena is fantastic. Get a little success and that thing could take off."

On 10/12/2018 at 10:20 AM, hhcmatt said:

Surprised we were ranked over Iowa in terms of recruiting base. McCaffery's kids alone would be a major contributor to the number of 4 star kids this state has produced.

Simple math on the players: we're a small population state surrounded by other small population states.

The perception is something that we can work on though

I was scratching my head on this.  Iowa has over 1M more people in the state and roughly 20 metro areas over 20k population. Nebraska has 9. Iowa has another 15 or so between 10-20k. Nebraska has 3 or 4. Not to mention their close proximity to Chicago and Wisconsin.