2020 SG D'Andre Davis - Decommit

Dean Smith

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Big Ten player comp: Roy Devyn Marble

Big, long (6-6 200 lb) guard with an advanced mid-range game. Very good ball handler. Developed into a good 3 point shooter, off the dribble and spot-up. Not super explosive, but certainly athletic enough to get by defenders and finish at the rim with either hand. 

What about his NU doppelgänger, James Palmer Jr?

Just now, Norm Peterson said:

What about his NU doppelgänger, James Palmer Jr?

Yeah, I get this comparison. They do LOOK alike and have a similar build. I think Davis is a bit more of a fast-twitch muscle guy than JPJ. And his ability to shoot of the dribble makes them a bit different. Recruiting analysts have stated his mid-range game is one of the best on the AAU circuit this summer. Palmer had a very slow wind-up. Davis' release isn't quick right now by any means, but I think it'll tighten up in college.

2 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Yeah, I get this comparison. They do LOOK alike and have a similar build. I think Davis is a bit more of a fast-twitch muscle guy than JPJ. And his ability to shoot of the dribble makes them a bit different. Recruiting analysts have stated his mid-range game is one of the best on the AAU circuit this summer. Palmer had a very slow wind-up. Davis' release isn't quick right now by any means, but I think it'll tighten up in college.

I was struck by your comment, "Not super explosive, but certainly athletic enough to get by defenders and finish at the rim with either hand."  That sounded very JPJ to me.

• 1 month later...

Its kinda funny that Donovan Williams and DeAndre Davis are replacing Haanif Cheatham and Matej Kavas. Not saying that their games or skill sets are similiar but Donovan Williams is a bigger gaurd that you can play on the wing (i.e. Cheatham) and DeAndre Davis is a wing that you could also play at the 4 if youre going small ball (i.e Matej Kavas).

We will be replinishing the two position groups we are losing players from; albeit with different skill sets.

On 7/11/2019 at 3:40 PM, khoock said:

Its kinda funny that Donovan Williams and DeAndre Davis are replacing Haanif Cheatham and Matej Kavas. Not saying that their games or skill sets are similiar but Donovan Williams is a bigger gaurd that you can play on the wing (i.e. Cheatham) and DeAndre Davis is a wing that you could also play at the 4 if youre going small ball (i.e Matej Kavas).

We will be replinishing the two position groups we are losing players from; albeit with different skill sets.

That's a valid point. I think Hoiberg & Co. have a great formula for roster alignment. It is interesting that a couple of Miles recruits fit in well into a G/F scenario for 2020 & beyond.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, 49r said:

We all kind of knew this was going to be the case but now it's "official".  Top 100 for Davis:

So now Donovan Williams and Dre Davis are basically equals in terms of recruiting rank. It will be interesting to see which one has a bigger impact their frosh year and over the course of their careers.

Williams should be back (hopefully) from his ACL injury between February and March.

• 3 weeks later...

Before people start drawing lines on the back wall and talking about camera angles, I've stood next to Doc and he's, I'd say, about 6 foot. Fred, in person, appears at least 6'4.  Abdelmassih is, what, about as tall as the shortest girlfriend I ever had?  And that leaves the Davis boys, who have got to be every bit of 6'6.

But seriously though if you look at the picture frame behind Gates' left shoulder you'll notice that the bottom of the frame is almost level while the top of the frame angles down quite dramatically. That tells me that the photo is being taken from a reasonably low angle.  I'd say the picture frame is probably about 2 feet wide and Fred is probably about 18 inches behind the Davis boys.  Given those two factors then I have to say that there is maybe 1 or 2 inches at most between them.

...and Abdelmassih is every bit of 5' 6" if I had to guess.