2020 SG D'Andre Davis - Decommit

Dean Smith

13 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

You will enjoy reading this thread about our newest recruit https://butlerhoops.com/forum/index.php?threads/dandre-davis-2020-guard.2116/

Cool that you could read that and see it backed up with that youtube video. I'm feeling pretty good about this kid if he can shoot the three he's going to be a rare triple threat guy on offense. When you start to think about the number of guys who can dribble pass and shoot proficiently with the above average size he has it's a smaller number than you'd think. Basically the only guys no matter the size who can do all 3 are Cope, Zay, Palmer, and hopefully Glynn our top 4 players. On top of that his defense sounds solid. 

The only concern I would have is that when you move up levels in basketball you need to be elite in something you'd probably find a similar % of triple threat in college and the NBA because it's more about playing a role most often by shooting, being bigger, or being more athletic. Sometimes the guys who are great at one level have trouble finding there place at the next one because they don't have that elite skill. That said I don't think Dre will be that guy.

• hhcmatt changed the title to 2020 SG D'Andre Davis - VC
  • uneblinstu pinned this topic
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, khoock said:

So Hoiberg and Co have kept 4 out of 5 of Miles 2019 and 2020 commits. Miles couldnt have fallen off too bad in the recruiting department, even with all the contract amd hot seat talk.

So, you're talking about D'Andre, Jervay, Akol and Donovan?

Not sure that makes the case you're making.

At the time they all committed, we were either ranked or getting votes in the AP poll, for one thing.

Donovan, of course, is a local, Lincoln kid. Akol is from Omaha with a previous connection to Miles.  When Jervay committed, he was not a top 5 juco recruit like he is now.

According to Rivals, other than us, the whole group had a combined total of zero Power 5 offers (or Power 6 if you include the Big East).

If you go back a year, Brady had a greyshirt offer from Creighton, but otherwise no P6 offers. Amir was available after Xavier decommitted and had a couple of P6 offers besides us, but part of that was probably due to him being one of the best unsigned recruits available at a time when schools were trying to finish off recruiting classes.

The year before that, we signed ONE KID in November -- Nana.  We got lucky and Thomas Allen decommitted from NC State due to a coaching change and we picked him up.  Otherwise, that would have been a pretty bleak recruiting class.

Compare that to the offers Glynn Watson, Ed Morrow and Andrew White III had.

My case is that his recruiting hasnt fallen off as bad as some make it seen. Has it taken a drop to some degree? Absolutely Norm. But its still a decent group.

- 2019 Top 5 JUCO player. Props to Miles for getting in on him early. Thats part of recruiting.

- 2019 #1 player in NE. Props to Miles for grabbing him even with the previous experience with the athletes older brother. Also, we have seen a handful of unheralded local kids go on to be big time college players... and make it to the league

- 2020 Top 100 player from Lincoln. Good on Miles for securing his commit. Especially when he is a top level kid and we are not even the best program in the state.

- 2020 player from Indiana who is Top 3(ish) in his state. Good on Miles for seeing his value and potential and getting in on him early.

As for MAW, who knows. Didnt seem like the staff prioritized getting out to see him or getting him on campus. Could be mutual or maybe MAW said ya know what without Miles i dont feel that comfortable away from home. Let me see what my options around here are.

But we could make arguments for and against Miles recruiting all day. I agree that it has fallen off to a degree, but will not agree that it has fallen off as far as some like to think. That is all.

1 hour ago, PointGuard said:

Two years ago Miles received a 1 year extension.  The one year extension was announced and Coach Hunter left shortly thereafter.  People on this board even commented that Hunter could see the writing on the wall and left.  Xavior Johnson soon decommitted.  That's when recruiting dropped off.

I think it happened before that, even.

2015 recruiting class: 2 Rivals 4-stars plus transfer Andrew White (plus some guy named Mike something and a Bakari.)

2016 recruiting class: 3 Rivals 150 players sign in November of '15, plus James Palmer commits in the spring of '16.

And then Miles is not extended.  And THEN ...

2017 recruiting class: Nana in November. And then Thor commits like in January, as well as Isaac Copeland after we beat Iowa in January at home. And NC State fires their coach in March and we fortuitously land Thomas Allen on the rebound that spring.

And Miles gets 1-year extension. (Rumor was that Eichorst wanted to fire Miles but couldn't get it past Hank Bounds.)

2018 recruiting class: Brady Heiman from Springfield, NE, and Xavier Johnson in November. Then Karrington Davis comes along in March.  Kenya leaves and so does Xavier.  And we sign Amir Harris in May and Dachon Burke transfers here in the spring.

And Miles gets 1-year extension. After we went on a tear, set a school record for conference wins, and nearly reach the NCAA tourney.  And there's perhaps a little bump in recruiting.

2019 recruiting class:  Three unranked Rivals 3-stars with no other P5 (P6) offers, one of whom is from Omaha with prior connections to the staff and the school.  And Dedoch Chan arrives mid-summer (remember Decoch?) and leaves late fall after being here a couple of Burnos.

2020 recruiting class Miles commits:  A local Lincoln kid who becomes a Rivals 4-star after he commits; and an unranked 3-star from Indiana with no other P5(P6) offers.

And then a spate of injuries and the wheels fall of the '18-'19  regular season, and, in spite of a valiant post-season run, Miles is fired.

The point I was making was that as soon as the 1 year extensions started, it supported the perception that Miles was on the hot seat and would not be around much longer.  That does not help recruiting.  I don't think that should be interpreted as he can't recruit, but rather it is hard to recruit when you are in a lame duck situation. 

9 minutes ago, PointGuard said:

The point I was making was that as soon as the 1 year extensions started, it supported the perception that Miles was on the hot seat and would not be around much longer.  That does not help recruiting.  I don't think that should be interpreted as he can't recruit, but rather it is hard to recruit when you are in a lame duck situation. 

I agree. And I think it shows in terms of the players we were getting commits from.

On 4/29/2019 at 4:43 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Are those 3-point numbers typical of him or just having an off tournament?  Because those are not the kind of shooting numbers I would expect us to prioritize in recruiting going forward.

He shot 35.6% (26-73) during the high school season. Certainly not the strength of his game, but I don't think he's as bad as he showed last weekend.

• 2 weeks later...