Ethics 101

Huskerpapa

A school offers and a player and his/her family accepts $50,000, plus a car, plus a good job for the players Dad, if he plays for that school.  Where is the ethical breach?

* The school who puts the package on the table?

* The head coach?

* The assistant coach who makes the offer?

* The school AD because he/she has to know, or should know that the offer was made?

* The school administration because they has to know or should know that the offer was made?

* The NCAA because they exploit the kids, they bring in buckets of cash and they provide little, if any, oversight?

* The school fan base as they make a demand for a winning program or else the AD and all coaches are pushed out the door?

* The apparel company as they are likely providing the money?

* The public because they buy the apparel that helps fund the slush money?

* The player?

* The player's family, because the player is just a kid and the player is simply listening to adults who have his/her best interest in mind?

* The AAU programs because it seems that none of this would be going on if the kids only played HS ball...yeah right?

* The corporation/business that would hire a players parent as part of the package?

* The employees of that corporation/business for not turning in the program because they would have to know something is fishy?

* Society in general for letting this crap go on.  Sports are a snapshot of society in general.  Win or else.  Do whatever it takes.  Ethics, what are flipping ethics as long as I am happy and get my way!

This is timely given the ongoing court case that sucked Creighton into the vortex.  But, and I know this is tough to swallow, but there are a lot of schools that cheat.  The level of cheating may vary, but it is happening everywhere you turn.  But I guess it is okay, as long as you don't get caught...right?  

Sorry for the early morning rant.

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

There's PLENTY of blame to go around... but it's a "What have you done for me lately world." There were rumors the Cubs were thinking of letting Madden go, after all it's been a whole TWO years since yer last World Series. 

Yeah, the Madden rhetoric was pretty funny.  Now, if they said that Chili Davis was in trouble, I would take it seriously.

Let me play devil's advocate here.  While I agree with it being a breach of ethics, it also seems like market forces are at work.  As I watch the Red River Shootout kickoff it seems like the profit generated by the game is not evenly shared by the participants generating the value.  Our institutions of higher learning are the minor leagues for football and basketball.  I think any solution has to acknowledge that reality.