Redshirt rule

I don't see why not, let the player get his feet wet and give the Coaches a chance to see what they've got when the bullets are flyin' (sorry about mixing metaphors). Someone told me last Sat. the Frosh can only play the 1st 4 games, not spread out or at the end. Is that true? I guess it makes sense and keeps teams from holding out a Marcus Dupree until the end of the season to win a Bowl game. 

3 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I don't see why not, let the player get his feet wet and give the Coaches a chance to see what they've got when the bullets are flyin' (sorry about mixing metaphors). Someone told me last Sat. the Frosh can only play the 1st 4 games, not spread out or at the end. Is that true? I guess it makes sense and keeps teams from holding out a Marcus Dupree until the end of the season to win a Bowl game. 

no I believe its any 4 games, doesn't have to be the first 4.

1 hour ago, ConkintheCorner said:

So football came up with new rule to let players redshirt if they play in 4 games or less!  Why hasn't basketball adopted a rule like this for players.  It just makes too much sense..  Id like to see an 8-10 game rule or something around there.  If football can do it why not basketball.??

I could see it working both positively and negatively for us in basketball. As we've seen in football some guys get beat out for starting jobs and after 4 games they bolt. With basketball and the current culture of college athletes, this could have huge impacts on teams as far as depth if a kid isn't starting but still plays wants to move on midway through the year. (A little like what Jordy tried to pull last year but on a bigger scale.) be On the flip side a rule like this would mean a kid like Tanner would have another year left and he wouldn't be punished for playing like 1 minute of mop up duty his sophomore year.

3 hours ago, rwhiston said:

I could see it working both positively and negatively for us in basketball. As we've seen in football some guys get beat out for starting jobs and after 4 games they bolt. With basketball and the current culture of college athletes, this could have huge impacts on teams as far as depth if a kid isn't starting but still plays wants to move on midway through the year. (A little like what Jordy tried to pull last year but on a bigger scale.) be On the flip side a rule like this would mean a kid like Tanner would have another year left and he wouldn't be punished for playing like 1 minute of mop up duty his sophomore year.

A handful of Miles' success at Nebraska has been through finding undervalued players on the transfer market. This just opens up the door for him even more.