Sign in to follow this  
49r

2018-2019 KenPom Rankings Thread

4 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Just so you know, the Dec. 4 update had Minnesota at #82. A Quadrant 1 road game is 1-75. They will likely climb into that Q1 category, but at the end of the season, it's probably a Q2 loss.

I was going off Ken-Pom rankings.  Didn’t even think the NCAA uses the NET.

10 minutes ago, bball23 said:

Just to refresh our memories....what are the quadrant rankings?

Would beating the #57 (Okie State) on a neutral court be Q1, Q2?

Can somebody post how they grade out quadrant wins?

1-50 is quad 1 for neutral court

15 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I was going off Ken-Pom rankings.  Didn’t even think the NCAA uses the NET.

The NET was created by the NCAA. Here's a decent background on it:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-11-26/net-explained-ncaa-adopts-new-college-basketball-ranking

Essentially they first thought "hmm, maybe we should take an aggregate look across multiple metrics to develop a ranking?" But then they said "hold my beer, let's create our own!"

And so the NET is now the ranking that is used to determine which teams fall into which quadrants.

18 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

The NET was created by the NCAA. Here's a decent background on it:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-11-26/net-explained-ncaa-adopts-new-college-basketball-ranking

Essentially they first thought "hmm, maybe we should take an aggregate look across multiple metrics to develop a ranking?" But then they said "hold my beer, let's create our own!"

And so the NET is now the ranking that is used to determine which teams fall into which quadrants.

Sorry that was bad wording on my part.  I know the NCAA uses the NET.  Basically I was saying that I had a brain fart.  😎

Huskers drop to #24 in the NET.  Creighton at #41.  Minny jumps to #65.  

Overall so far...

Wins

#340- MVSU (H)

#300- SELA (H)

#107- Seton Hall (H)

#221 Missouri State (N)

#265 Western Illinois (H)

#74 Clemson (R)

#125 Illinois (H)

Losses

#5 Texas Tech (N)

#65 Minnesota (R)

5 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Huskers drop to #24 in the NET.  Creighton at #41.  Minny jumps to #65.  

Overall so far...

Wins

#340- MVSU (H) - Q4

#300- SELA (H) - Q4

#107- Seton Hall (H) - Q3

#221 Missouri State (N) - Q4

#265 Western Illinois (H) - Q4

#74 Clemson (R) - Q1

#125 Illinois (H) - Q3

Losses

#5 Texas Tech (N) - Q1

#65 Minnesota (R) - Q1

Just added one more data point for us in the above post.

Q1: 1-2

Q2: 0-0

Q3: 2-0

Q4: 4-0

Just now, HuskerFever said:

Just added one more data point for us in the above post.

Q1: 1-2

Q2: 0-0

Q3: 2-0

Q4: 4-0

Thanks!  Some things we need....

Clemson to stay in the Top 75.  That would make the win a Q1.

Minny to stay int he Top 75.  That would make the loss a Q1.

Seton Hall to jump into the Top 75.  Would make that win a Q2.

Missouri State to jump into the Top 200.  Would make that win a Q3.

Not to divert off topic too much, but I was curious. How did the Top 25 RPI do last season in terms of quadrant records?

Top 25 Average Quadrant Record:

Q1: 5.4-4.6

Q2: 6.2-1.2

Q3: 8.0-0.7

Q4: 7.0-0.2

So basically, Q1: 5-5, Q2: 6-1, Q3: 8-1, and Q4: 7-0.

We are 1-2, 0-0, 2-0, and 4-0. Looks like we have some work to do in Q1 and Q2.

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

...also...why the HELL is this garbage being posted in the KenPom rankings thread?

4 minutes ago, 49r said:

Care to list the 4 out of conference games you're talking about here?

Seton Hall

Clemson

Texas Tech

Minnesota was the 4th one I was thinking of, granted it's not OOC, I should have said teams ranked sub-100 in Kenpom rather than OOC.  It will likely be replaced tomorrow by another OOC loss if they look like they did Wed.

Back on topic, however, is some good conference news.  With Iowa's beat down of ISU last night the B1G has moved achingly close to being the top rated conference:

Ranking of conferences by averaging AdjO and AdjD of the teams

Conference Rating Conference Rating
1 Big 12 Conference +16.69 17 Colonial Athletic Association -2.64
2 Big Ten Conference +16.67 18 Western Athletic Conference -3.36
3 Atlantic Coast Conference +16.16 19 Patriot League -4.41
4 Southeastern Conference +13.05 20 Summit League -4.50
5 Big East Conference +12.71 21 Big West Conference -4.74
6 Pac 12 Conference +9.65 22 Horizon League -4.88
7 American Athletic Conference +6.22 23 Big Sky Conference -5.02
8 West Coast Conference +4.74 24 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference -5.93
9 Mountain West Conference +2.51 25 Big South Conference -6.89
10 Atlantic 10 Conference +2.21 26 Ohio Valley Conference -6.92
11 Mid American Conference +1.81 27 Atlantic Sun Conference -7.49
12 Missouri Valley Conference +1.29 28 America East Conference -7.64
13 Ivy League -0.68 29 Northeast Conference -9.72
14 Conference USA -1.51 30 Southland Conference -10.08
15 Southern Conference -1.92 31 Southwestern Athletic Conference -16.37
16 Sun Belt Conference -2.18 32 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference -16.80

Hopefully next week the Huskers can push the Big Ten over the top.

5 minutes ago, 49r said:

...also...why the HELL is this garbage being posted in the KenPom rankings thread?

I'm sorry, I was under the impression that we were talking about basketball and how Nebraska is doing against teams in the NET and Kenpom rankings?

16 minutes ago, RexxRacerX said:

I'm sorry, I was under the impression that we were talking about basketball and how Nebraska is doing against teams in the NET and Kenpom rankings?

By and large, the KenPom threads have always been a hot-take free zone, and I'd really like to try and keep it that way.  Please take your fire coach Miles campaign to a different thread.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by 49r

As we lament our dramatic fall in KenPom from 21st to 24th. 🙄  I found it interesting that in the related content below section was this post from 2012-2013.  I for one enjoy the NCAA tourney talk, the borderline Top 25 talk, the top half of conference talk.  I do not, for the life of me, get those ready to blow it up after each loss of a basketball game.

2012-2013 KenPom Rankings Thread

By 49r

Looked today and on Kenpom.com, and I see Nebraska comes in as easily the lowest rated B1G team, clocking in at a whopping 216.

Edited by HuskerPower #nato73

2 hours ago, 49r said:

By and large, the KenPom threads have always been a hot-take free zone, and I'd really like to try and keep it that way.  Please take your fire coach Miles campaign to a different thread.  Thanks in advance.

I deleted my post, sorry for twisting your panties by talking about basketball.

3 hours ago, HuskerPower #nato73 said:

As we lament our dramatic fall in KenPom from 21st to 24th. 🙄  I found it interesting that in the related content below section was this post from 2012-2013.  I for one enjoy the NCAA tourney talk, the borderline Top 25 talk, the top half of conference talk.  I do not, for the life of me, get those ready to blow it up after each loss of a basketball game.

2012-2013 KenPom Rankings Thread

By 49r

Looked today and on Kenpom.com, and I see Nebraska comes in as easily the lowest rated B1G team, clocking in at a whopping 216.

Thanks.

It is interesting to go back through and look at the past years' threads, as I always encourage anyone to do, they're very enlightening.

https://huskerhoopscentral.com/tags/KenPom/

I have been doing this ever since the start of the Miles tenure and it is pretty astonishing how far we have come in the 6 seasons.

Posted this over the NET Rankings thread as an overview of what we have left, but appears it may generate a bit more discussion here. If you don't like it here @49r, I am happy to take it down. Love this thread and your work on it.

In looking at what we have left, it appears we'll have as follows.

1. Only one remaining game that would be Quadrant 4 (CS-Fullerton) and projected 5-0 in that quadrant.

2. We are 2-0 in Quadrant 3 and have one remaining game (Penn State, 76 at home) in that quadrant. If Penn State were to get in top-75 and stay there, this would be a quadrant 2 game. (Illinois at 125 currently, could get there. The cutoff for road games is 135).

3. Nebraska is yet to play a quadrant 2 game, but will on Saturday against Creighton and also Oklahoma State (neutral). The Cowboys need to stay in the top-100 to stay as a quadrant 2. Possible quadrant 2 games in Big Ten play: Northwestern (55, at home), Maryland (33, at home), Penn State (76, road), Iowa (48, at home), Illinois (125, road).

4. RIGHT NOW THE REST OF OUR GAMES ARE QUADRANT ONE!

(Related: We might lose some more games)