2018-2019 KenPom Rankings Thread

49r

It's been a while since I looked but it appears the Big Ten finally took over the top spot!

Ranking of conferences by AdjEM of team that's expected to go .500 in conference play

Conference Rating Conference Rating
1 Big Ten Conference +17.23 17 Sun Belt Conference -1.33
2 Big 12 Conference +17.02 18 Horizon League -4.25
3 Atlantic Coast Conference +15.64 19 Colonial Athletic Association -4.37
4 Southeastern Conference +14.13 20 Patriot League -4.63
5 Big East Conference +11.96 21 Big West Conference -5.00
6 Pac 12 Conference +7.34 22 Big South Conference -5.36
7 American Athletic Conference +6.62 23 Summit League -5.53
8 West Coast Conference +4.95 24 Atlantic Sun Conference -5.80
9 Mid American Conference +3.79 25 Ohio Valley Conference -6.48
10 Atlantic 10 Conference +1.52 26 Big Sky Conference -8.09
11 Mountain West Conference +0.97 27 America East Conference -8.42
12 Ivy League +0.65 28 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference -8.72
13 Southern Conference -0.07 29 Northeast Conference -9.36
14 Missouri Valley Conference -0.30 30 Southland Conference -9.95
15 Conference USA -1.24 31 Southwestern Athletic Conference -15.63
16 Western Athletic Conference -1.28 32 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference -16.52

1 hour ago, 49r said:

It's been a while since I looked but it appears the Big Ten finally took over the top spot!

Ranking of conferences by AdjEM of team that's expected to go .500 in conference play

Conference Rating Conference Rating
1 Big Ten Conference +17.23 17 Sun Belt Conference -1.33
2 Big 12 Conference +17.02 18 Horizon League -4.25
3 Atlantic Coast Conference +15.64 19 Colonial Athletic Association -4.37
4 Southeastern Conference +14.13 20 Patriot League -4.63
5 Big East Conference +11.96 21 Big West Conference -5.00
6 Pac 12 Conference +7.34 22 Big South Conference -5.36
7 American Athletic Conference +6.62 23 Summit League -5.53
8 West Coast Conference +4.95 24 Atlantic Sun Conference -5.80
9 Mid American Conference +3.79 25 Ohio Valley Conference -6.48
10 Atlantic 10 Conference +1.52 26 Big Sky Conference -8.09
11 Mountain West Conference +0.97 27 America East Conference -8.42
12 Ivy League +0.65 28 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference -8.72
13 Southern Conference -0.07 29 Northeast Conference -9.36
14 Missouri Valley Conference -0.30 30 Southland Conference -9.95
15 Conference USA -1.24 31 Southwestern Athletic Conference -15.63
16 Western Athletic Conference -1.28 32 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference -16.52

This is actually big.  Big 12 got an extra team or two in because they were perceived as being tough last year.

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

22 in KenPom this morning, so there's that. With the No. 24 offense. ?

It's amazing we've been able to hold on during this 6 of 8 losing skid. And because we play such strong opponets going forward, we have a chance to stop some of the bleeding in NET and POM. Unfortunately, continuing to lose will only cause us to slide into an abyss.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, royalfan said:

I don't think any foul up three strategy suggests you should foul a guy shooting a three.  

That's not what happened here.

8 second left, CSU just made 2 FTs and is now up 3.

They call timeout and talk it over, they decide to foul before the 3 attempt. This is properly executed and Long Beach goes to the line with 5 seconds.  They make both, 1 point game.

Long Beach State fouls immediately and CSU is in the bonus but not the double bonus.  Guy misses and Long Beach St drives down and ends up getting fouled. Makes all the FTs with 1 second, end of game.

If CSU doesn't foul they probably go to overtime or win the game as If Long Beach makes the 3 they aren't going to try and foul CSU

1 hour ago, Blindcheck said:

That is why if you don't practice this scenario and explain it to the players....you should be very careful implementing it.

Exactly, and you only have so much time for practice. What do you not practice in order to practice this and a hundred other scenarios? That's why the second guessing always kills me. Somebody sees what happens, then points a finger and says "see, that's why you don't do that." People who say "you always (foul/don't foul)" when ahead by 2 don't really know what's involved.

The coach has to take a chance one way or the other and live with the results. 

22 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

That's not what happened here.

8 second left, CSU just made 2 FTs and is now up 3.

They call timeout and talk it over, they decide to foul before the 3 attempt. This is properly executed and Long Beach goes to the line with 5 seconds.  They make both, 1 point game.

Long Beach State fouls immediately and CSU is in the bonus but not the double bonus.  Guy misses and Long Beach St drives down and ends up getting fouled. Makes all the FTs with 1 second, end of game.

If CSU doesn't foul they probably go to overtime or win the game as If Long Beach makes the 3 they aren't going to try and foul CSU

WOW. Buzzer beating three rims out for Long Beach. But wait! A foul is called on the three. Long Beach heading to the line. A @kenpomeroy InstaLoss in the making after Northridge fouled up three.

This was misleading.  Perhaps just a bit too much time left to foul there.  That being said, they were going to have to make a ridiculous three to win the game had that last horrific foul not been made.  It remains an interesting discussion.  

59 minutes ago, royalfan said:

WOW. Buzzer beating three rims out for Long Beach. But wait! A foul is called on the three. Long Beach heading to the line. A @kenpomeroy InstaLoss in the making after Northridge fouled up three.

This was misleading.  Perhaps just a bit too much time left to foul there.  That being said, they were going to have to make a ridiculous three to win the game had that last horrific foul not been made.  It remains an interesting discussion.  

The only thing with committing the foul up 3...especially with 5 seconds left, is you extend the game...if you don't foul up 3, odds are they get one shot, make or miss...either overtime or a win....once you foul and they make free throws, the game is extended which allows the missed FTS and the buzzer beater attempts.

Personally I'd rather place my five defenders just beyond the three point line and try to force a 25 plus footer to force overtime...if they hit it, tip the hat and play overtime.

Now if I have fouls to give, I probably  employ the foul up 3 scenario

1 hour ago, Blindcheck said:

The only thing with committing the foul up 3...especially with 5 seconds left, is you extend the game...if you don't foul up 3, odds are they get one shot, make or miss...either overtime or a win....once you foul and they make free throws, the game is extended which allows the missed FTS and the buzzer beater attempts.

Personally I'd rather place my five defenders just beyond the three point line and try to force a 25 plus footer to force overtime...if they hit it, tip the hat and play overtime.

Now if I have fouls to give, I probably  employ the foul up 3 scenario

If you can foul with less than 2 seconds left, I would do so for sure.  Even under three I probably am.  

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

If you can foul with less than 2 seconds left, I would do so for sure.  Even under three I probably am.  

Make one free throw and a tip in would put you in overtime....and I have seen a make one free throw tap out for a three and lose...

I think I would prefer to just force a long three that is probably 20% or less shot (1 in 5 times you go to overtime)

20 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

Make one free throw and a tip in would put you in overtime....and I have seen a make one free throw tap out for a three and lose...

I think I would prefer to just force a long three that is probably 20% or less shot (1 in 5 times you go to overtime)

Those things tend to happen far less often than a trey going in so I would take my chances on them, but I understand your viewpoint.  They also have to make the first free throw as well  

15 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Those things tend to happen far less often than a trey going in so I would take my chances on them, but I understand your viewpoint.  They also have to make the first free throw as well  

As an opposing coach I would probably rather have them foul my team and get the clock stopped and try a tap out rebound play.

I see both sides, but I  don't mind being in a situation where I can't lose (only go to overtime) then a situation where a freaky long rebound has me losing because of my strategy.

• 3 weeks later...