2018-2019 KenPom Rankings Thread

49r

25 minutes ago, big red22 said:

Yeah considering we have won our games 106-37, 87-35, 80-57 and 85-62... 15 spots is not enough IMO.   Our average margin of victory is 41.75, and now the narrative is Texas Tech is our first true test.  Yes I heard those exact words on the radio this morning.  Was Seton Hall not a test?  Give me a break!  

I do think if we beat Texas Tech, we will get some love.  The problem is that it shouldn't take a Texas Tech win to get the love we deserve. 

I am starting this complaint early, because I know down the road people will have more and more excuses of why we don't deserve this or don't deserve that.  It is a vicious cycle that annoys the hell out of me!

15 spots in two weeks seems like a lot. Keep winning and the number will take care of itself.

Big Ten narrowing in on being the top conference:

Ranking of conferences by averaging AdjO and AdjD of the teams

Conference Rating Conference Rating
1 Big 12 Conference +16.83 17 Summit League -3.24
2 Big Ten Conference +16.34 18 Southern Conference -4.27
3 Atlantic Coast Conference +16.30 19 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference -4.64
4 Southeastern Conference +13.50 20 Western Athletic Conference -4.75
5 Big East Conference +12.87 21 Big Sky Conference -5.01
6 Pac 12 Conference +9.66 22 Patriot League -5.08
7 American Athletic Conference +5.99 23 Big West Conference -5.21
8 West Coast Conference +4.97 24 Horizon League -5.82
9 Atlantic 10 Conference +2.47 25 Ohio Valley Conference -6.47
10 Mountain West Conference +2.16 26 Big South Conference -7.07
11 Missouri Valley Conference +1.93 27 America East Conference -7.19
12 Mid American Conference +1.15 28 Atlantic Sun Conference -7.53
13 Conference USA -0.51 29 Northeast Conference -9.28
14 Ivy League -1.11 30 Southland Conference -10.15
15 Colonial Athletic Association -1.23 31 Southwestern Athletic Conference -16.69
16 Sun Belt Conference -2.24 32 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference -17.13

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Big Ten narrowing in on being the top conference:

Ranking of conferences by averaging AdjO and AdjD of the teams

Conference Rating Conference Rating
1 Big 12 Conference +16.83 17 Summit League -3.24
2 Big Ten Conference +16.34 18 Southern Conference -4.27
3 Atlantic Coast Conference +16.30 19 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference -4.64
4 Southeastern Conference +13.50 20 Western Athletic Conference -4.75
5 Big East Conference +12.87 21 Big Sky Conference -5.01
6 Pac 12 Conference +9.66 22 Patriot League -5.08
7 American Athletic Conference +5.99 23 Big West Conference -5.21
8 West Coast Conference +4.97 24 Horizon League -5.82
9 Atlantic 10 Conference +2.47 25 Ohio Valley Conference -6.47
10 Mountain West Conference +2.16 26 Big South Conference -7.07
11 Missouri Valley Conference +1.93 27 America East Conference -7.19
12 Mid American Conference +1.15 28 Atlantic Sun Conference -7.53
13 Conference USA -0.51 29 Northeast Conference -9.28
14 Ivy League -1.11 30 Southland Conference -10.15
15 Colonial Athletic Association -1.23 31 Southwestern Athletic Conference -16.69
16 Sun Belt Conference -2.24 32 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference -17.13

Just using the eye test (I know it doens't count for anything come Selection Sunday), I think the Big 10 rightfully deserves that honor at this point in the year.

Okay so y'all don't appreciate the KenPom thread then?? I'm happy to quit doing it if all you can do is bitch and whine at the first sign of adversity, for fucks sake it's one loss vs a top 25 team, get over yourselves!

Jesus, it's no wonder Creighton fans mock us for not knowing anything about hoops, you guys are pathetic...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, 49r said:

Okay so y'all don't appreciate the KenPom thread then?? I'm happy to quit doing it if all you can do is bitch and whine at the first sign of adversity, for fucks sake it's one loss vs a top 25 team, get over yourselves!

Jesus, it's no wonder Creighton fans mock us for not knowing anything about hoops, you guys are pathetic...

I appreciate all you do.  Was personally being sarcastic with Tim(No)Smiles because of that comment.  One loss and we’re not a tourney team, lost all of our Quad one chances, etc.  Drives me crazy!

1 hour ago, 49r said:

It's just big red22. He doesn't understand what kenpom's formula is trying to do... and thus he should stop entering this thread.

Thank you for the above and the work that HHCMatt does on the site.  It was a good reminder.  I went from reading it right to the main page and made a donation. 

We didn't play well last night and were a little exposed  as far as our inside toughness and depth (Nana and Amir weren't ready for that and I wish we could have seen a bit of Heimann) but it is a long season.  We are essentially last year's team with a tougher schedule.  While that means we should improve and will at times give people fits, it also means we might go 19-12 and end up on the bubble.  I don't think we vastly out-talented Tech and we certainly did not out-depth them.

I think the ceiling for this team is the Sweet 16 and the floor is the NIT and under either scenario we might see a coaching change.

I hope not because I like having a team this good and having a team that is starting to land the best in state recruits.

I look forward to watching it play out and enjoying it as a fan and thank you guys who keep the board, the KenPom thread and all of the other things up to date for us mostly lurkers.

I love the sentiments being made known, I couldn't agree more myself. this board is an invaluable resource for hoop heads such as us, and what I hate seeing in the past few years is this horrible habit people have of using WILD HYPERBOLE for everything;

commonly being:

Loss: the sky is falling, fire everyone, this is unacceptable, lets blame such and such player, etc

Win: this is the best team in the world

(you can tell that the negative hyperbole imo seems to be the more prevalent and leaned upon, maybe due to the beaten down husker fan spirit?)

This has to stop. I hate to see negativity, personal attacks and general toxicity ruin what is one of my few happy places in life, here on the internet.

Of course I expect some craziness, due to the nature of the internet and the influx of new people to this board. (a very exciting thing!) But we can do better, continue to set a high standard. Love ya guys. Lets keep it rolling.

Edited by HolyBobpilgrimage

On 11/20/2018 at 10:39 PM, 49r said:

Guys, I have to travel early tomorrow so there won't be a KenPom update, but if anyone would like to do the honors in my place please feel free to do so! GBR!

Image result for casey kasem

Todays letter...

Dear Casey,

Recently I went through a rough patch with a dear friend Nebraska Basketball.  We've been through a lot together and yesterday we got into a fight and we both did some things that were really hurtful to each other.  Casey, I know we can get through this and I was writing to you because I wanted to reach out to my friend.  "Could you play KenPom rankings as of 11-22-18" by the @49r?  It would mean a lot.

Thanks...here's your request and dedication

------------------------

KenPom rankings as of 11-22-18

==========================

B1G (0-0):
7. Michigan
11. Michigan State
13. Purdue

14. Wisconsin

20. Indiana

28. Ohio State

31. Nebraska

32. Iowa

36. Penn State

37. Maryland

45. Minnesota
48. Northwestern

93. Illinois

109. Rutgers

Non-Conference (3-0):
346. Mississippi Valley State - W
297. Southeastern Louisiana - W

---Gavitt Tip-Off---
59. Seton Hall - W

---Hall of Fame Classic---
184. Missouri State
12. Texas Tech

233. Western Illinois

---B1G/ACC Challenge--- 
25. @Clemson

33. Creighton

---Sanford Pentagon--
61. Oklahoma State

141. Cal State Fullerton
n/a. Southwest Minnesota State

I kind of thought this was THE year for Miles to get that elusive win over coach Mac.  Early on it looked that way, then this week happened.  We are almost even in KenPom, which is kind of what my gut tells me too as I watch both teams.     Creighton looks a lot better than I would have thought given all of the new parts they had to put together.

We can win still that game but I suspect it is going to be a real dogfight.  

On 11/20/2018 at 11:37 PM, 49r said:

I don't post much but I check this thread first when I come to the board, which is practically daily. Thank you for doing this and it is much appreciated by me!

No comments today.

KenPom rankings as of 11-25-18

==========================

B1G (0-0):
7. Michigan
8. Michigan State
13. Wisconsin

14. Purdue

23. Indiana

27. Ohio State

31. Nebraska

32. Iowa

33. Maryland
38. Penn State
45. Minnesota
58. Northwestern
94. Illinois
111. Rutgers

Non-Conference (5-1):
347. Mississippi Valley State - W
293. Southeastern Louisiana - W

---Gavitt Tip-Off---
57. Seton Hall - W

---Hall of Fame Classic---
187. Missouri State - W
12. Texas Tech - L

236. Western Illinois - W

---B1G/ACC Challenge--- 
24. @Clemson

34. Creighton

---Sanford Pentagon--
60. Oklahoma State

146. Cal State Fullerton
n/a. Southwest Minnesota State
Edited by 49r

Starting tomorrow, over a 12-game span, NU plays 8 top 50 KenPom teams, 5 on the road. Four of the road games are against top 35 teams.

• at #23
  • at #24
  • at #32
  • at #33
  • at #45
  • H #8
  • H #34
  • H #38

Plus there's a #60 neutral site opponent in there. That has to be one of the toughest 12-game stretches in school history that includes both conference and non-con games. Great opportunity!

45 minutes ago, throwback said:

Starting tomorrow, over a 12-game span, NU plays 8 top 50 KenPom teams, 5 on the road. Four of the road games are against top 35 teams.

• at #23
  • at #24
  • at #32
  • at #33
  • at #45
  • H #8
  • H #34
  • H #38

Plus there's a #60 neutral site opponent in there. That has to be one of the toughest 12-game stretches in school history that includes both conference and non-con games. Great opportunity!

A great opportunity and a great reason for everyone not to panic about a missed opportunity against Tech.  Played bad?  Yes.  But we will have plenty more opportunities against quality competition and more of those than not are away from home.

On 11/21/2018 at 1:19 AM, hhcdave said:

I appreciate your work, 49r, and passion for Husker Hoops. I know 99% of those here do.

Many years ago, before most people on this site found it, I and a staff of several others (including several former players and even radio PBP announcers of both men and women) wrote articles on this site daily from November-March. I did interviews with every opponents head coach and a weekly chat with a Husker. We once did the entire Big Red Report magazine basketball preview.

Jay Bilas was on this site. Paul Splittorff. Reid Gettys. Major NCAA Division I referees. Many future NBA players. Etc etc.

Then somewhere along the way, 4 years into it, I let the hatred of some people burn me out - the non appreciation most showed of all the hard work I was putting in and the several hundred dollars a year loss I was eating. i semi regret it - don't do the same thing as me and walk away.

Thank God HHCMatt saved this site and made it better than ever.

It makes me happy knowing that a little blog I started in 2005 to deal with a breakup in Charlotte, NC. has morphed into what it has. It's all because of the people here.

Been here since the beginning, been through a lot of stuff myself as well, Dave. Don't feel bad the way that some things went, feel good that you're here today to tell us about it! GBR!!!

15 hours ago, throwback said:

• at #23
  • at #24
  • at #32
  • at #33
  • at #45
  • H #8
  • H #34
  • H #38

With great power comes great responsibility. That said (not even sure why I said that prior statement...), here goes: seize the opportunity, GBR !!!