First practice of the 2018-19 college basketball season

AuroranHusker

13 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

Nice! I hope we get more practice reports. I know this mainly has to do with media access, but in comparison to football, which has 4 or 5 articles a day, it'd be nice to get a practice report a couple times per week for bball.

I would argue that it has a lot more to do with views/clicks on articles. Football articles on LJS appear to get much more views than basketball articles (basing that hypothesis on placement of football vs. basketball articles on their main pages as well as the amount of public comments in the articles).

27 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I would argue that it has a lot more to do with views/clicks on articles. Football articles on LJS appear to get much more views than basketball articles (basing that hypothesis on placement of football vs. basketball articles on their main pages as well as the amount of public comments in the articles).

Yep. Papers ultimately want consumers to click on their articles.

Thrilled to hear JPJr. is showing up at the gym at 6 a.m. to shoot and coming in an hour before practice. Hopefully that shows up in increased proficiency/efficiency.

Nice to hear Copeland has gained some good weight and that his shot looks great.

Amir Harris is one of the best athletes on the team and maybe the best dunker? Has anyone told Nana? If Amir could duplicate Thomas Allen's jumper, he'd be an early entrant in the NBA draft.

Speaking of Thomas Allen's jumper, he's worked on it this summer and now has developed a quicker release.  Sweet.  As long as he hasn't lost accuracy.  We need to be able to spread the floor, and that ain't happening with Amir Harris.

10 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

If you're talking about the number of stories generated from one practice then perhaps.  However a football team is significantly bigger so there is a lot more people/moving parts to write about.

If you're talking about access, no. There is a limited number of practices open to the press. (it's been that way in the past).  Also, that is even limited.  This site gets info and invites about things as part of being "state media". There was no invite to cover the first practice. 

Im still butt hurt that Creighton is covered more thoroughly than our team. They had a nice article breaking down and summarizing EVERY player on their roster.

I guess if Miles gets this thing rolling and strings together say 3 or 4 successful seasons every 5 years than we will get the same treatment.

1 minute ago, khoock said:

Im still butt hurt that Creighton is covered more thoroughly than our team. They had a nice article breaking down and summarizing EVERY player on their roster.

I guess if Miles gets this thing rolling and strings together say 3 or 4 successful seasons every 5 years than we will get the same treatment.

Nyatawa does a very good job covering them for the OWH. I think Heady is doing a good job too, but I understand him not busting out as many articles with his primary focus being football right now.

2 minutes ago, khoock said:

I assume this is the OWH and Nyatawa. If so tweet Heady and tell him to step up his game ?‍♂️

11 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Nyatawa does a very good job covering them for the OWH. I think Heady is doing a good job too, but I understand him not busting out as many articles with his primary focus being football right now.

Thats is something our basketball program will always have going against them. No matter how good they are there is always Husker football. Creighton bball doesnt really have any other sport they are competing with for coverage.

Video from 1st practice.  

Actual footage of the mythical Karrington Davis.  Video proof he exists.

Amir Harris can play some D.

Chan has a couple of inches on Amir, so 6'8" seems legit.

Watch Palmer school Nana.

The shots are dropping in this small sample size.

Edited by Norm Peterson

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

If you're talking about the number of stories generated from one practice then perhaps.  However a football team is significantly bigger so there is a lot more people/moving parts to write about.

If you're talking about access, no. There is a limited number of practices open to the press. (it's been that way in the past).  Also, that is even limited.  This site gets info and invites about things as part of being "state media". There was no invite to cover the first practice. 

I'm mainly referring to the amount of coverage a particular sport gets in a given calendar year. The basketball season is longer than the football season yet it appears there's much more coverage on the football program than there is for the basketball program.

37 minutes ago, khoock said:

Nyatawa is a damn good writer; it's just a shame his skill has to be used on that beat. I do think Heady has done very well so far and will continue to improve as football winds down. Between him and Basnett we've got two very good dudes named Chris covering basketball for the papers. 

6 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I'm mainly referring to the amount of coverage a particular sport gets in a given calendar year. The basketball season is longer than the football season yet it appears there's much more coverage on the football program than there is for the basketball program.

Football will always come first for the overall fan base. This board is a utopia. Go over to RSS, and you'll see a majority of Nebrasketball posts from Washut be made fun of or shamed during football season. 

40 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Video from 1st practice.  

Actual footage of the mythical Karrington Davis.  Video proof he exists.

Amir Harris can play some D.

Chan has a couple of inches on Amir, so 6'8" seems legit.

Watch Palmer school Nana.

The shots are dropping in this small sample size.

Gates is just a wee bit fired up.  ?    Noticeably different personality than Kenya.   A lot of different styles work in coaching, but Gates' overt enthusiasm may be a good mix with Miles and Coach Mo.   Love the effort and enthusiasm.